Chapala.com Webboard

VUMI Medical Insurane

20 hours ago, RickS said:

The article says, ".... but if you are a US national, you have to pay income tax on income generated abroad."  I did not think that this was true. Income generated on Mexican soil... I'm not talking about using the Internet while working for a US firm....is taxed by Mexico but not the US, no?

Unfortunately true.  FATCA was passed in 2010 by uknowwho.  As a result a lot of foreign banks dumped their expat customers, particularly in Europe.

We pay tax to both Mexico and U.S. on our Mexican investment income.  You do get some credit on the U.S. tax return for the Mexican tax return.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lily H said:

Pappysmarket,

Your advice is to "walk on the wild side...move", without some research on his/her own on his/her own health coverage?

Probably more folks than you realize at lakeside have done just that.  Probably the majority are happy they did so. For the ones who aren't they have either moved back NOB where they have Medicare or Canadian health coverage or they get their friends to throw a "benefit" this or that to help them pay. It's ever been thus at the lake, why tell anyone don't come? We're all going to die and for some quality of life is more important than quantity of life.  YMMV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Probably more folks than you realize at lakeside have done just that.  Probably the majority are happy they did so. For the ones who aren't they have either moved back NOB where they have Medicare or Canadian health coverage or they get their friends to throw a "benefit" this or that to help them pay. It's ever been thus at the lake, why tell anyone don't come? We're all going to die and for some quality of life is more important than quantity of life.  YMMV

Yes, instead one could live in the U.S. another 15 years in and and out of hospitals, then watching tv all day in Medicare nursing homes, and finally end up strapped in a wheel chair in a soggy diaper. Old saying, “I am here for a good time, not for a long time.”

• Like 3

On 6/15/2019 at 10:26 AM, Kyle said:

Medicare Advantage does not cover you if you live out of the country.  The rate is determined by what state you live in.  So if you live here you would be lying to get Medicare Advantage.

Actually mine said it covered me for emergencies out of the US. YMMV

I think that all of Kyle's Posts are saying that one must live/domicile in the US in order to qualify for a Medicare Advantage policy. I totally agree with that statement. Yes, if one's domicile is the US and comes to Mexico on a trip and has an emergency here, then 'most/all' Advantage policies will reimburse one for that expense once they return and file the paperwork. Above board. 

If one is living/domiciled in Mexico but still has some kind of connection back in the US, IMO it is still illegal to apply for/get an Advantage policy there. Not saying that someone can't and hasn't done this or is still doing this but it ain't legal. Just shady.

If one is living/domiciled in the US but is playing snowbird/sunbird for, say, a few months each year AND has an emergency while in Mexico I suspect that when they go back home they could submit paperwork to their Advantage carrier and still get reimbursed. Fine line maybe. Better check your policy. Insurance companies are ALWAYS trying to see how they can get out of paying anything even when everything is perfectly above board!  

YMPWV.... Your Mileage Probably Won't Vary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1