Chapala.com Webboard

going into U.S. Consulate

I will be going to the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara to renew my passport and was wondering what I can bring  in since security is so tight.

I was planning on bringing my application, my wallet with credit cards and identification and currency for FedEx. Is there anything I am forgetting and will these items pass security?

If you have gone through this procedure I would appreciate your advice!

Thanks

I went to the American Consolate two days ago, to the Social Security benefits small building. I was with a facilitator. I had to show the guard my ID and a copy of an email from them that showed I had an appointment that day. I was allowed to enter only with my wallet containing credit cards, ID and some cash and the documents I was told to bring. My facilitator was not allowed in and was given my pocketbook (with phone in it) to hold for me. (I don't know what they would have done with pocketbook if facilitator wasn't with me; probably guard had a place to put it safely.)

All went smoothly after that.

Lexy

In the event you have one, no cell phones allowed. Should you need to stash something, there's a guy directly across the street that rents small lockers for $50. I've driven once and taken the bus to the old station then a cab to the consulate another time. I highly recommend the bus/cab as it's cheap, stress free, and parking is a bitch near the consulate.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2019 at 10:37 AM, Lexy said:

I went to the American Consolate two days ago, to the Social Security benefits small building. I was with a facilitator. I had to show the guard my ID and a copy of an email from them that showed I had an appointment that day. I was allowed to enter only with my wallet containing credit cards, ID and some cash and the documents I was told to bring. My facilitator was not allowed in and was given my pocketbook (with phone in it) to hold for me. (I don't know what they would have done with pocketbook if facilitator wasn't with me; probably guard had a place to put it safely.)

All went smoothly after that.

Lexy

Lexy was there any particular  reason you came with a facilitator? We are used to hearing and using Mexican facilitators to ease the pain of negotiating the Mexican system...doesn't the Consulate have Spanish speakers and info in Spanish?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

The US Consulate representatives come to the American Legion in Chapala & LCS in Ajijic once a month. Much easier way to renew a passport get a passport card etc  I believe No Credit Card nor  Cash just a cashier's check. Others likely have precise details.

5 minutes ago, TechnoNorm said:

The US Consulate representatives come to the American Legion in Chapala & LCS in Ajijic once a month. Much easier way to renew a passport get a passport card etc  I believe No Credit Card nor  Cash just a cashier's check. Others likely have precise details.

If after standing in a ridiculously long line at Banamex and paying $200 for that check it is ONE peso off, you will be sent back to Banamex to stand once again in a ridiculously long line to pay an additional $200 for a new check. Get back too late and the consulate staff has left? Wait a month and...stand in line at Banamex and pay another $200 for a check in the new correct amount.

For $29 bus fare (INAPAM rate) you can take a nice ride to Guadalajara then pay about $50 for a cab to the consulate. There, you can pay by debit card or credit card in USD or by cash. You can request they bring your new passport to the L or LCS, or for a nominal fee have it delivered to your door by Fedex.

I've been present at countless visits by the consulate staff at the Legion and when it came time for me to renew, I went to Guad. This was after two friends had spent over a $1000 between them for checks and STILL couldn't get their passports! I ended up taking them to Guad where they had zero problems. Cheaper, easier, and less stress if you ask me.