Chapala.com Webboard

Topes

18 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

WOW..Now "they" have added a second line of topes...the tope fairly must have lots of help and deep wallets   how crazy can you get  , first time I have seen a double line all the time I have lived in Mexico...maybe it will become a historical feature...only in Mexico

Sounds like the phantom tope remover has a significant challenge on his/ her hands.

On 6/13/2019 at 11:12 PM, TechnoNorm said:

The state of Jalisco, Secretaria de Movilidad, is responsible for authorizing Topes. They reportedly started a campaign in metro Guadajara of removing un authorized Topes, but we have not seen fullfilment of that responsibility in the Ribera de Chapala.

Does anyone know if they have a local office?

We talked to the guys in the gas station and they were both adamant that the station was not responsible -- both Javier and Victor, independently. They both said that they hated them and had nothing to do with bringing cars in. 

Apparently ( according to them) it is all down to people living up the hill mountainside who reckoned they had to wait until they could turn left without looking. It appears that if you do not look, and own a very expensive property above, the car gets hit.

So. It would appear to be an illegal fixture on a state highway - along with the runway lights. So let's just dig them up.

I think they tried this a year ago with tarmac topes -- which got pulled pretty damn quick.

Who knows who to complain to?

Or who knows a cheap JCB driver?

"who reckoned they had to wait until they could turn left without looking. It appears that if you do not look, and own a very expensive property above, the car gets hit." That doesn't make a lot of sense. Turn without looking-I hope not. The owner of the gas station still looks like the likely one to have had them put in.  

The yellow metal bumps are called tortugas as they resemble turtles. They are easily removed with a crowbar. Drove my MGB from Ajijic to Joco. saturday and only hit the roof twice and scraped the bottom on one tope in SJC.

29 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Got to drive it somplace to keep it going. Lalo won't let me drive the Triumph as he uses it for weddings and quincieras.

Smart man Lalo.

When driving west, you can drive down the bicycle path to avoid the topes...!!!  No, no, no I would never do that, but being a frequent driver of that stretch of road I've noticed it's becoming a common, and potentially very dangerous, practice...!!!

On 6/15/2019 at 2:30 PM, AngusMactavish said:

When I was in Jamaica I was surprised seeing this sign. I slowed, thankfully, to see the cop when I hit their tope.

2569908463_3f70b48dd0.jpg

Cheap and effective internationally.

In Colombia speed bumps are called "policia acostada" and this would be the English equivalent.

10 hours ago, Cincy said:

When driving west, you can drive down the bicycle path to avoid the topes...!!!  No, no, no I would never do that, but being a frequent driver of that stretch of road I've noticed it's becoming a common, and potentially very dangerous, practice...!!!

I've seen a few small cars driving in the bike lane there. Scary. I was hit broadside by a motorcyclist using the bike path (he was hidden from my view by bushs).

10 hours ago, cedros said:

I've seen a few small cars driving in the bike lane there. Scary. 

Things must have improved. When we lived there, all kinds of vehicles, large and small, used to drive in the bicycle lanes, especially when there was lots of traffic. Glad to hear of the progress.