Chapala.com Webboard

Roof waterproofing referrals ?

It's that time of year again, when we discover all the leaks in our roof!

For the past 2 years I've used the same person, he has rolled the impermeabilizante over the roof annually.  The product is supposed to have a 5 year warranty, ha, it doesn't last a year.  I think we need a new membrane, maybe?  Also it is white, so it should be reflecting heat and therefore not drying out and deteriorating so quickly. 

Any suggestions?  I  searched the forum but I can find only one referral (made last year) while the other are at least 4,5 years old. 

Roofs move, and cracks appear. Using 'membrana', after caulking the cracks, will help a lot. Simply re-coating with impermiabalazante does not solve the cracking problem. Use a flexible caulk and use pressure on the knife to drive it into the crack. Then, mambrana with impermiabalizante. When cured, you may coat the entire roof, if needed.

My contractor make my roof and he make a great work! He is very honest, and good prices, he have warranty for the work 7 years installing the membrane rolls, I make in diferents areas my home is very big, he did the first area 3 years ago, and no problems, and he did the other area 2 months ago, you can contact hem at 3314451634 Rully is hes name. Said miss Susan recomended. Saludos!

Another question: why do the roofers here not do the same thing that they do in SMA, where they put a layer of crushed tufa (which is incredibly light) over the brick, then the membrane, then the  impermiabalazante?   It seems like here they are skipping a step.

Thanks RV I am going to make sure the next job includes the membrane. And I called Rully. 

Kimanjome - another thing is that the roof has to be absolutely clean; all old peeling fabric or paint removed; scrubbed and washed; a pressure washer works well for this. The process should be apply a 5:1 mixture of impermiabalazante; then membrane (I recommend Fester  or Casther -  it's thicker and comes in a big roll) using full strength to apply the membrane, wait until dry and apply another full strength coat (usually the next day).  Membrane is not something to be laid out and walked on before applying; when doing ours we worked in sections/strips with each strip overlapping the previous one; Job is messy and tedious. stuff comes off your skin but not clothes.

Some things are logical to some but not so to others. I would recommend sweeping first and then power washing. Why? Because I had my roof done in March (before it got disgustingly hot for the worker) and ended up with a very big mess in my gutter and at the bottom of every drain pipe. If you have a problem with leaks then follow RVgringo's instructions about scraping and THEN sweep AGAIN and fill the cracks. As far as the overlapping of the membrane goes, start at the lowest point of the inclination where the rain is draining off (please let there be an inclination in the right direction to your roof) and work UP the incline from there overlapping each section of the membrane about 2 inches over the previous one. On the inside edges of the parapet, the roof membrane should go UP the parapet about two inches, then apply the membrane from the top of the parapet down and over the upped two inches. WideSky is correct that a layer of impermiabilizante goes down first and the membrane is laid over it and embedded into it while still wet. Pray for a calm day because it's preferable if there are no wrinkles. Then another layer when dry the next day.... and another layer applied in the OPPOSITE direction the next day. There are quite a variety of the Fester products in quality. Buy the one that Fester guarantees. And, applying it with the equivalent of a sheepskin roller on a long handle is both easier and quicker... I wouldn't dilute it. YMMV.

7 hours ago, kimanjome said:

It's that time of year again, when we discover all the leaks in our roof!

For the past 2 years I've used the same person, he has rolled the impermeabilizante over the roof annually.  The product is supposed to have a 5 year warranty, ha, it doesn't last a year.  I think we need a new membrane, maybe?  Also it is white, so it should be reflecting heat and therefore not drying out and deteriorating so quickly. 

Any suggestions?  I  searched the forum but I can find only one referral (made last year) while the other are at least 4,5 years old. 

There are definitely different qualities of impermealizante. Just because it says 5 years doesn't make it so, as you found out, but a 5-year top quality brand will last a lot longer than a 5-year low- quality brand. I use Sika Brand 7 years myself and have have been happy with it- definitely lasts more than a year. The first few years I was using the Prisa brand, and it was far inferior. I don't even have any membrane- the few cracks that have appeared, I use a Fester product called Imperfacile No Mas Goteras Pasta, which is essentially tar with fibers in it. I mash it into the cracks well with a putty knife.

Yep every year had to recoat even using the five year. So this year I went over the whole roof with a hammer found the weak spots especially around the cracks and coated with two full strength coats of five year roof coating after fixing the bad spots in the roof.  No leaks now.  

I wonder why there are not more metal roofs around the area on roofs with some pitch. I've contracted building about 5 roofs in Canada with metal. They are good for 25 to 30 years without coating, etc. I've been contemplating whether one could lay steel stringers over the flat-tile roofs, put a layer of Styrofoam and then metal roofing. Maybe I'll try it next year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

I wonder why there are not more metal roofs around the area on roofs with some pitch. I've contracted building about 5 roofs in Canada with metal. They are good for 25 to 30 years without coating, etc. I've been contemplating whether one could lay steel stringers over the flat-tile roofs, put a layer of Styrofoam and then metal roofing. Maybe I'll try it next year.

Even with the styrofoam, I think that metal roofs here would maybe just be poundingly loud in the torrential rainy season.

First, I'd recommend Dennis the Handyman, he did a great job on our roof. I don't remember all the steps but it took several days. Speaks English Cell 331 840 3797

We lived in the Colorado mountains with both heavy rain and hail - the metal roof was never as noisy as I had expected it to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone.  I ended up using Ruly, he is very punctual,  honest, thorough, and has a 7 -year warranty.  He went to university in Guad to become an arcitecto  and his specialty is dealing with water and moisture; he also designs and constructs French drains.  He does the entire package, with cleaning the old base off, then prepping, laying a torch (tar) coating, then a membrane that is basically a big roll of asphalt shingle like we have up north, sealing the abutting seams of that, and then covering with top quality impermeabilizante--3 coats of white on mine.  I specifically requested white because it reflects the rays of the sun and keeps the house about 7 degrees cooler than when a I had a red-brick color roof. 

Our entire job took 4 weeks straight, no rain days, workers here at 8:30 every morning until about 5 every day.  Our roof is large at over 4200 sq feet plus a cupola and solar panels (removal and replace) .  It cost 123,000 pesos in total.  Much better deal than paying out the annual  18,000 or so pesos and worrying about leaks at the start of every season.

BTW we discovered, while looking over the photos on Ruly's phone, that the roof had never been done correctly, in the 50+ years this house had been standing, and despite numerous owners who had done some intensive and expensive renovations. Just an annual cleaning and roll on of impermeabilizante.  Makes you wonder.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kimanjome said:

Thanks, everyone.  I ended up using Ruly, he is very punctual,  honest, thorough, and has a 7 -year warranty.  He went to university in Guad to become an arcitecto  and his specialty is dealing with water and moisture; he also designs and constructs French drains.  He does the entire package, with cleaning the old base off, then prepping, laying a torch (tar) coating, then a membrane that is basically a big roll of asphalt shingle like we have up north, sealing the abutting seams of that, and then covering with top quality impermeabilizante--3 coats of white on mine.  I specifically requested white because it reflects the rays of the sun and keeps the house about 7 degrees cooler than when a I had a red-brick color roof. 

Our entire job took 4 weeks straight, no rain days, workers here at 8:30 every morning until about 5 every day.  Our roof is large at over 4200 sq feet plus a cupola and solar panels (removal and replace) .  It cost 123,000 pesos in total.  Much better deal than paying out the annual  18,000 or so pesos and worrying about leaks at the start of every season.

BTW we discovered, while looking over the photos on Ruly's phone, that the roof had never been done correctly, in the 50+ years this house had been standing, and despite numerous owners who had done some intensive and expensive renovations. Just an annual cleaning and roll on of impermeabilizante.  Makes you wonder.....

Rully is the best! And very honest person!  You will be happy whit youre new roof! Saludos!

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:27 AM, vista lake said:

My contractor make my roof and he make a great work! He is very honest, and good prices, he have warranty for the work 7 years installing the membrane rolls, I make in diferents areas my home is very big, he did the first area 3 years ago, and no problems, and he did the other area 2 months ago, you can contact hem at 3314451634 Rully is hes name. Said miss Susan recomended. Saludos!

Rully did our veranda/sundeck a couple weeks back.  He does excellent work.  Thorough and very competent.

On 6/16/2019 at 5:26 PM, MtnMama said:

First, I'd recommend Dennis the Handyman, he did a great job on our roof. I don't remember all the steps but it took several days. Speaks English Cell 331 840 3797

Dennis has a new phone # 333 442 4586