Chapala.com Webboard

RAIN

One rain a season makes for you again?  :D

Raining here too.  

Look here:  See how the westerlies are pushing against the moisture flow?  That is not a normal rainy season pattern.

isaemex.gif

I'd post all the sites I use to watch this but I don't get the feeling you would use them.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

One rain a season makes for you again?  :D

Raining here too.  

Look here:  See how the westerlies are pushing against the moisture flow?  That is not a normal rainy season pattern.

I'd post all the sites I use to watch this but I don't get the feeling you would use them.

You got that right, I just wait for the rain to happen.

No, one rain does not make a season, and I never said it did.  The season will probably end in late Oct. or Nov. What I have said is that this is the start of the rainy season, nothing more or nothing less. I observed the upperlies pushing against the downerlies, but we still got some rain.

Yes and the follow on around 3AM was even nicer.

Probably going to be a bit sporadic this year.  That has also been predicted.  Good thing we are starting at a high lake level.

Since we hit the 1" mark in a general rain this morning I have decided the official start date is today, June 13.  I missed it by 3 days.

Also got one inch in Riberas last night. And I think I've finally (after a year) figured out Ventusky.com . If you don't put in location (Ajijic, Mexico), the TIMING of precipitation is off. I set the precipitation to one hour increments and then moved forward by one hour through the night (virtually not actually). The precipitation happened exactly as expected and even the amount shown above the name Ajijic on the map was correct when compared with rain gauge. The wind direction is also better shown since it is closer to the ground than satellite photos. Love this stuff!

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=21.4;-69.7;4&l=temperature  

I've been putting in the location every time I use it just to be safe.

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Also got one inch in Riberas last night. And I think I've finally (after a year) figured out Ventusky.com . If you don't put in location (Ajijic, Mexico), the TIMING of precipitation is off. I set the precipitation to one hour increments and then moved forward by one hour through the night (virtually not actually). The precipitation happened exactly as expected and even the amount shown above the name Ajijic on the map was correct when compared with rain gauge. The wind direction is also better shown since it is closer to the ground than satellite photos. Love this stuff!

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=21.4;-69.7;4&l=temperature  

I've been putting in the location every time I use it just to be safe.

They also have an app for iphone, but for me it cost $3.99 CDN.  

Mainecoons, since you decided that June i3 is the official start date, does that mean this is the REAL rainy season and real rain?

I´ll sleep a lot better tonight knowing that my imaginary world of rain since May 31 is over and I have regained my sanity.LOL

I kept saying the "start" and I guess you just wanted a running start.  We have different definitions of start.

• Like 1

Only technically because we are still not in a true rainy season pattern.  However by the 1" of rain criteria the contest is over.

Did you see this?  I posted it earlier.  Really shows how the unusual for this time of year frontal activity to the north results in the monsoon current being pushed south.  That is where we are now and the moisture will have to push back in to get things going again.

Complicating all of this is El Niño which is the source of all that unusual rain in New Mexico.  It is adding some moisture into the mix.

Did you notice those really big buildups on the south side of the lake this evening?  Go look, some really classic convection going on there.

Us meteorology watchers are having a lot of fun this year.  :D

Screenshot (23).png