Chapala.com Webboard

Notario can act as a Notary, yes? (to validate signatures only)

We have our expat wills for the US prepared.  We need to sign them in the company of 2 other persons (witnesses) and then have all 3 signatures (2 witnesses, 1 Testator)  "officially" validated.  In the US a notary would do this.   I'm thinking  the Notario has significant authority (more than a US notary) per international treaty, the witnessing of the signatures can be done  by a Notary, correct?  I mean, it's only to verify the signatures, it's not for a court-filed document.  

47 minutes ago, bontepar said:

As far as I know a hand written will is perfectly legal and binding don't need witnesses or notary

No longer.  Now, even if there are two (2) witnesses, the signatures of the those witnesses can be challenged in court.  Both witnesses may be required to appear and testify that yes, those are their signatures.  Very difficult to do if one of the witnesses has died or cannot be located.  Then you can have a long, drawn out probate battle in which the only winners are the lawyers.  [My spouse is retired lawyer and geez, do I hear some stories].  

Most states--I think Ohio and Louisaina? are the exceptions, maybe Nevada or something, too?--want either 2 or 3  witnesses AND  the Notarized signature of those witnesses on a separate piece of paper called a Self-Proving Affidavit. The Self-Proving Affidavit makes the will  impossible to challenge in court.  Or so they say.  

52 minutes ago, chapalence said:

A call to Notario #2 would give you a definitive answer. 376 766 0190  LUIS ENRIQUE RAMOS BUSTILLOS

Actually, we used him for our closing so yes, good idea. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kimanjome said:

No longer.  Now, even if there are two (2) witnesses, the signatures of the those witnesses can be challenged in court.  Both witnesses may be required to appear and testify that yes, those are their signatures.  Very difficult to do if one of the witnesses has died or cannot be located.  Then you can have a long, drawn out probate battle in which the only winners are the lawyers.  [My spouse is retired lawyer and geez, do I hear some stories].  

Most states--I think Ohio and Louisaina? are the exceptions, maybe Nevada or something, too?--want either 2 or 3  witnesses AND  the Notarized signature of those witnesses on a separate piece of paper called a Self-Proving Affidavit. The Self-Proving Affidavit makes the will  impossible to challenge in court.  Or so they say.  

Actually, we used him for our closing so yes, good idea. 

Closing? Is this a home you sold in US and signed your closing docs in Mexico?

4 hours ago, kimanjome said:

No, our Mexico closing. 

We need someone to authenticate/validate the signatures of witnesses on our US wills.

You have to use the US Consulate notary. A Notario has a similar name but is an attorney not a US Notary Public. When the consulate is at LCS the notary is also. 

On 6/13/2019 at 12:32 PM, Joco said:

You have to use the US Consulate notary. A Notario has a similar name but is an attorney not a US Notary Public. When the consulate is at LCS the notary is also. 

I second this recommendation. I have used these services in the past as it conforms with US requirements. Having it come from a US Consular authority seems to add another level of legitimacy to your documents, as well. 

I do not know if they still use the same method, but they used to use tiny grommets instead of staples. I kind of liked those.

image.png.635c1c2eafe6c10b715fc2d7586fb683.png

A Mexican notario should be fine. I have done it for my signature to release a mortagor on Canadian property. . As you said "it's only to verify the signatures, it's not for a court-filed document". If you are unsure use the US consulate.