Chapala.com Webboard

Small Claims Court or arbitration Lakeside?

Is there anyplace Lakeside where "the system" assists in resolving "small" disputes with a merchant?

I was ripped off by a local store for $1,500.00, and I don't want to just walk away. Letting them walk just encourages these kind of people to rip off more gringos.

Any help here?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Eric Blair said:

I am told that Profeco only is for use by visitors relating to merchants and can't be used by perm. Residents.

Thanks.

I do not see that anywhere on their site that says:

What do we do?

Mission
The Federal Consumer Protection Agency  protects and promotes the rights of consumers, guaranteeing fair commercial relations that strengthen the culture of responsible consumption and access in better market conditions to products and services, ensuring certainty, legality and legal security within the normative framework of Human Rights recognized for the consumer population. 

• Like 2

Thinking back, I was sent to PROFECO one time by the M.P. and it was a 100% waste of time. A lot of some of the not the nicest people know that most gringos will just eat the loss rather than take a minimum of two trips to PROFECO. And as said abive,If you left one T not crossed, they will tel you to fix it and come back.

Yes, if your time is worth little to nothing, it might be worth it, but usually not. That is why I would love to see something like the BBB here, or a Small Claims court that could make binding orders/judgments.

Too much to ask?

• Haha 7
  • Sad 3

yep , it is a differnt justice system so you will not get that. I went to some municipal court in CHiapas  but frankly I do not think anything really happened, I got my money back because I harassed the people and threatened them , That worked... the court not so much. In court I told my lawyer , this guy is lying so he answered so lie too...

3 hours ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

you could write about them here to expose them to others.....just a thought...

I've seen restaurants go out of business for poor write ups on this board....

The tiny minority of people on this board and other local boards do not have enough power to affect anything.You are grossly mistaken with your mere speculation and  not fact based by any means.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Profeco is the BBB which I hadn't thought was of any use in the US.  Except for places where Angie's List is very active the recourse is small claims court in the US.  If you haven't $800 pesos for a consult then gas and time in the city are your only options and those expenses are unrecoverable.  Like many we have just walked away making sure everyone we know is told about the behavior.  But then we've never had $1500 US at stake without a contract and a quarter total payment agreement.

This is your second need for a Profeco type of solution.  That is unusual and I am sorry for your poor luck.  I wish you better luck in the future.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

you could write about them here to expose them to others.....just a thought...

I've seen restaurants go out of business for poor write ups on this board....

Not hardly, especially if they are appealing to others than those who frequent ´this board.  This board has little impact on anything.

• Like 3

Always remember we are only hearing one side of the story. I remember a few years ago a gringa in a Coastal town wanted a particular dress in her size but in a different color. The shop owner took a deposit and ordered the dress. The manufacturer had sold out of that dress so her size and color were no longer available. The shop owner returned her deposit and after she had a major temper tantrum, offered her a discount on something else. She wanted that dress in her size and color!!!! She posted a particularly nasty inaccurate review on Facebook so the shop owner sued her for libel and won.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, solajijic said:

$1500 US at stake

1500 pesos.....if this is the ceiling fan issue from another thread he posted, he's gone around and around on this board on it, been given good advice to get another one and move on.    

Guess everyone needs a hobby..... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Several years ago I had a problem with Volaris.  After three months of attempting to recover money from Volaris, I reported the problem to PROFECO and in three days Volaris deposited the full amount owed me to my bank.  

Sometimes it's not about just the money, but the principle of the thing.  

• Like 1