Chapala.com Webboard

loud Cohetes

Can anyone tell me when the loud cohetes will stop? We can put up with them but our dogs are terrified. We have had to get medication to calm them down!

I know there is some kind of festival in San Antonio Tlayacapan but was wondering when we could expect a good nights sleep.

2 minutes ago, mcintlm said:

...but was wondering when we could expect a good nights sleep.

“There ain't no answer. There ain't gonna be any answer. There never has been an answer. There's your answer.”

― Gertrude Stein

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

religious fiestas last 9 days .. so you can bank on 9 days of cohetes during religious fiestas and then you have weddings and other fiestas.. They never really stop, see if the thunder jackets hekp your dogs and get hearplugs or move in the middile of nowhere away from any church or move to an evangelist area where they do not use cohetes.. 

The cohetes are ongoing. However, the OP is asking about fiesta cohetes.If you live close to fiesta central they are nine days of morning, noon, and night firings. When I first moved here I lived one block from the Chapala malecon and three blocks from St. Francis Church. By the end of the fiesta I was exhausted. I have now lived varying distances from grounds zero and my current location is a bearable distance from celebration centers. You also become desensitized to a certain degree. You live. You learn. You adjust. 

• Like 1

As in many threads, the original issue tends to get lost.  The OP posted:  " We can put up with them but our dogs are terrified. We have had to get medication to calm them down! "

The major concern is for the dogs.  Any suggestions other than the thunder jackets?  Those would be pretty hot at this time of year.

The first sentence in the OP is “Can anyone tell me when the loud cohetes will stop?” The third sentence says they have got medication to calm the dogs down. There is no question asking what else can be done for the dogs.

• Like 1

Get your dogs used to fireworks.  You need to train them, between fiestas, special days, armed confrontations and car backfires, dogs will regularly hear loud bangs.  Maybe try to train them like hunters do

https://www.ducks.org/hunting/retriever-training/overcoming-a-fear-of-gunfire

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As a side note, San Antonio has had the quietest festival since I've lived here (14 yrs). It's still loud but amount of cohetes during the weekday has been kept down to a handfull, morning and night. Today sounds more like the artillery fire we are used to.

I have two dogs that are terrorized by cohetes. One responds to thunder shirts and Rescue Remedy. The latter might be found at your vet or a health food store. It's homeopathic, but if it works for dogs, so be it. There is a vet formulation without alcohol, but in this instance, I'd use any I could find. One dog instantly responded to it. Amazed me.

Not all dogs respond to thunder shirts. You can see if your dog does by wrapping a towel around it and turning the ends tightly. Kind of sling the dog's chest in the towel and put the ends over its back. Wrap the ends to tighten. It's awkward, but may give temporary relief. Within 5 or 10 minutes perhaps. Thunder shirts wrap the dogs tightly and it's not really known why they work. But when they do it's dramatic. I bought my thunder shirts from Amazon US. Don't know if they're available locally.

I have one dog that is a wreck and none of the above work. She shakes so hard, it looks like she's having seizures. I sometimes give her a tiny dose of Calmivet, if the cohetes last for hours.  It's a sedative and of course you want to use sparingly. You can get them from any vet. By tiny dose, I literally mean a sliver of a pill for a 12 lb dog.

In our home in the US we live in a very rural area so thought it would be nice and quiet. Little did we know our closest neighbor loves to shoot guns and at all hours of the day and night. We also have train tracks about 75 yards from our house with loud trains that run at least every 20 minutes. One of the most popular wind surfing spots in the area are past our home on the gravel road and the windsurfers speed by very fast with their music bumping very loud. I was sleep deprived for the first month we lived here more from my dogs barking even more than the other noises. I got a white noise sound machine and we all sleep very well with it. As soon as we turn it on we all go straight to sleep and I think we are trained by that sound to snooze. Now we bring it anywhere we stay over night. I love music festivals and usually camp on the premises and even with a crazy loud party with music in the next camp site I can sleep without hearing a thing. I bought one for our companies night watch man because he was having trouble sleeping in the day with the noise in his apartment building and he sleeps wonderfully now. 

There are apps for your smart phone and if using that I would suggest an auxiliary blue tooth speaker with it as the phone apps are not that loud with just your phone. There are machines that do this as well. We bought the one we use at Kmart for $17 and have had it for 10 years or so and it runs on regular electricity or on batteries when away from power. There are many kinds and brands. Some just deliver white noise like the sound  of a fan or something like that. Many have options for nature sounds like rain, ocean waves or even crickets. We use the rain sound. 

In the day we keep music going or the TV because my goofy dogs bark at any noise they do not recognize. 

Here is the one of the loudest ones according to a reviewing web site: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SMJQT4/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B002SMJQT4&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtag68525-20&th=1

This is the one we use: https://www.walmart.com/ip/HoMedics-Soundspa-Relaxation-Sound-Machine-SS-2000/2686012?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227001130636&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40843989152&wl4=aud-566049426865:pla-78656778392&wl5=9033581&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=2686012&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3PLnBRCpo8PCoaGM99MBEiQAppRuC_IVdiltLtI_7JHNSu_INP6APFcQu67cfk2SaSgz7FwaAtAs8P8HAQ

If ou do not know why thunder jacket watch the movie about the life of Dr Temple. SHe was autistic and ended up going to unverity and getting a PHD .. SHe specialzed in farm animal behaviour and she put herself in some cotraption that was very tight on her when she was under stress and found out it calmed her.. Behing autistic she would not left humans hold her and the contraptin helped her..

the feria ends of the 16th or the fiesta?  The fiesta should end of the saint´s day and so  should the cohetes, the feria may last longer but there should nt be cohetes  or are they other events related to the church?

As to the dogs, I have a couple who are terrified, have used Rescue Remedy and Thunder Shirts on them to no avail. Last year I found Anxitane, it is natural, does not affect the liver AND it works!! I bought it at Pet Care in Riberas, he sells a lot of it and sometimes is out of stock. It has taken the two dogs who were the most panicked and made them so calm, they actually sleep right through the rockets. I would recommend it to anyone, check it out on the internet. Amazing results. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

As to the dogs, I have a couple who are terrified, have used Rescue Remedy and Thunder Shirts on them to no avail. Last year I found Anxitane, it is natural, does not affect the liver AND it works!! I bought it at Pet Care in Riberas, he sells a lot of it and sometimes is out of stock. It has taken the two dogs who were the most panicked and made them so calm, they actually sleep right through the rockets. I would recommend it to anyone, check it out on the internet. Amazing results. 

Thanks for that. My dog isn't bothered by fireworks, but goes into total primal anxiety mode during the summer thunderstorms. Uncontrollable trembling, panting and pacing. I tried putting a tight tee shirt on her in lieu of a thundershirt, and it didn't help at all. Rescue remedy seemed to help slightly (human version, but I wasn't too worried about a dropperful of alcohol for a 70 pound dog). I'll definitely try the Anxitane.

12 hours ago, Xena said:

This particular fiesta will end on Thursday, June 13, the feast of Saint Anthony, the patron of San Antonio Tlayacapan. The last night is the biggest, loudest celebration. 

This year, don´t know why, but as the poster stated the fiesta is running from 5 to 16 de junio (or maybe 17).  Usually they get started around the 2nd.

14 hours ago, mcintlm said:

Can anyone tell me when the loud cohetes will stop? We can put up with them but our dogs are terrified. We have had to get medication to calm them down!

I know there is some kind of festival in San Antonio Tlayacapan but was wondering when we could expect a good nights sleep.

As was said, they don`t stop.  All newbies ask your question.  After a while, you stop asking.  BTW, fiestas and cohetes are not always related.  There are cohetes during fiestas (not just the once a year patronales like in SA now but all through the year) but also for birthdays and other parties and when a couple of guys want to just pull over to the side of the road, drink and set off cohetes.  All these I have personally experienced.  My construction earphones saved my sanity the first few years here but I don`t wear them any longer and the cohetes now are just a part of my aural life (with the loud musica on weekends, barking dogs, speakers announcing fruit and vegetables, water, gas, et. al.).  Cohetes are Mexico. Mexico is cohetes. You`ll adjust and hopefully you`ll be able to help your dogs adjust as well.  For now, for you, you might want to invest in good earplugs and construction earphones.

• Like 3

There is a new law now--Ley Federal--about the cohetes.  They are to be sold only by the church, and they can only be set off from something (can't recall exactly) like 8 am to 9 pm...

Enforcing that will be whole 'nother discussion. 

I am really glad I installed a mini-split in my bedroom and I can close the windows, turn on the noise machine, put in my earplugs, and take a sleeping pill.  

• Like 2

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. We have tried the thunder shirt and it doesn't work. We have also tried loud music to drown out the noise but that is not a solution in the early morning or late at night. We have obtained medication from the vet to calm the most disturbed dog and will look into noise training. We love living in Mexico and know that we have to accept the Mexican way of life which, unfortunately, includes cohetes. 

• Like 1