Chapala.com Webboard

No basketball fans on this webboard

What a game. As said above, I had reasons to want both teams to win. This game was so close and so exciting to watch, also nerve racking. The best team won tonight and Golden State played so well that they had a good chance until the end to win. The second best team was so close. I could go on and on. 

• Like 1

Anybody else read on the NHL site the list of injuries to the Boston Bruins yet they still played? If you have you will never never never consider baseball players athletes. One of my all time heros,Bobby Baun played the last 2 games the last time the Leafs won the cup in '67 on a broken ankle. Hockey players and Rodeo riders are the toughest athletes on the planet.

2 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Anybody else read on the NHL site the list of injuries to the Boston Bruins yet they still played? If you have you will never never never consider baseball players athletes. One of my all time heros,Bobby Baun played the last 2 games the last time the Leafs won the cup in '67 on a broken ankle. Hockey players and Rodeo riders are the toughest athletes on the planet.

I would have to agree toughest.  But not on who the best athletes are. You can take most good baseball players and hand them a basketball or a football and most of them won't embarrass themselves.  Hockey is another story, admittedly. Give a non-baseball athlete a bat or a glove and most will not choose to participate. Had a co-worker many years ago who pitched in Single A ball tell me he could strike me out with 3 pitches and that I would be out of the box, ducking for cover on all of them. Played a lot of basketball and football in HS so took him up on the challenge.  He was right, that curveball going straight for my head had me ducking and then it broke right over the plate. Thank you Lee for that lesson!  He was fair to middlin at basketball and touch football.

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

I would have to agree toughest.  But not on who the best athletes are. You can take most good baseball players and hand them a basketball or a football and most of them won't embarrass themselves.  Hockey is another story, admittedly. Give a non-baseball athlete a bat or a glove and most will not choose to participate. Had a co-worker many years ago who pitched in Single A ball tell me he could strike me out with 3 pitches and that I would be out of the box, ducking for cover on all of them. Played a lot of basketball and football in HS so took him up on the challenge.  He was right, that curveball going straight for my head had me ducking and then it broke right over the plate. Thank you Lee for that lesson!  He was fair to middlin at basketball and touch football.

If you opt out of playing for a month because your hangnail hurts how good an athlete and teammate are you? Talent alone does not make you an athlete,especially in a team sport. Almost all professional hockey players have played other sports. Another tough one that some play is lacrosse. like a lot of hockey players,not just the pros, I indulged in indoor lacrosse[no padding] Canadian football [high school outside linebacker] baseball. had a hoop in backyard and rink in winter of course,cliff climbing, track and field,handball as early as grade school. I forgot about canoe tripping in the bush part of which entails carrying and lifting the canoe over the 80 pound pack already on your back so that you can do that 2 mile portage in one trip.  I became property of the Detroit Redwings in bantam THL hockey. When it was just the original 6 you could not play organized hockey unless your parents signed your rights to one of them.

Thanks for your opinion...they all count.  Did not know that about organized hockey. My total experience was on a small pond on a golf course a block from my house.  We would shovel it off and play hockey...until some girl with figure skates would come by.  They always brought their father to enforce "This is not YOUR pond", lol. Tried the backyard idea but it wasn't level enough.