Chapala.com Webboard

No basketball fans on this webboard

52 years since the Leafs won the Stanley Cup and 26 years since the Blue Jays won the World Series.

Maybe every 26 years we should win a championship. I think this is the Raptors year.

Gives the Leafs 26 more years to get their act together.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Out1 said:

Absolutely no discussion about the NBA finals; must all be Golden State fans.

Go Raptors.

Here is another.  The Raptors beat the hell out of the Golden Warriors last night.  The first two quarters had me convinced the Raptors were going to lose, but boy did they bounce back in the last two.  Go Raptors Go!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Out1 said:

Absolutely no discussion about the NBA finals; must all be Golden State fans.

Go Raptors.

Are you kidding, I¨ve been living and dying and living every game the Raptors have played since the the World Series of basketball began (no longer just USA) and I´m not a citizen of either country.

How ironic is it that the Stanley Cup will be in the US and the O´Brien cup could be in Canada?

9 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Are you kidding, I¨ve been living and dying and living every game the Raptors have played since the the World Series of basketball began (no longer just USA) and I´m not a citizen of either country.

How ironic is it that the Stanley Cup will be in the US and the O´Brien cup could be in Canada?

Lord Stanley's Cup in the US isn't ironic. Original 6 NHL teams:Montreal Canadians,Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Black Hawks, New York Rangers, Boston Bruins. In those days[pre '67] over 90% of the players were Canadians and today[31 teams] the majority of players are still Canadians.

1 minute ago, happyjillin said:

Lord Stanley's Cup in the US isn't ironic. Original 6 NHL teams:Montreal Canadians,Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Black Hawks, New York Rangers, Boston Bruins. In those days[pre '67] over 90% of the players were Canadians and today[31 teams] the majority of players are still Canadians.

Now that was HOCKEY.  No helmets, facemasks, mouthpieces it was pure mano a mano with smoke breaks between periods. Hmm...I must be getting old.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, slainte39 said:

True, but then you would wind up in your old age like happyjillin.

Or like poor Fred VanVleet of the Raptors, with 7 stitches and missing a tooth.    Good thing it was only "unintended" contact....he'll be suited up like Zdeno Chara next game! 

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Blues got their azz kicked,so back to Boston for game 7 on Wednesday.

Grew up in the Boston area and was able to drive in to watch them in the Old Boston Garden from 64 to 68.  The playoffs ended earlier back then and a good thing too because by late May the temps inside the Garden made for real soft ice which led to some bad injuries. Probably not just Boston but I remember the pictures in the Globe of dense fog clouds over the ice and folks in the cheap seats could barely see. I was lucky because I could drive in, park under the old Pierce elevated highway and walk in and only wanting 1 seat could get the best available for $5 tops. Even figuring in inflation, can't do that anymore.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Grew up in the Boston area and was able to drive in to watch them in the Old Boston Garden from 64 to 68.  The playoffs ended earlier back then and a good thing too because by late May the temps inside the Garden made for real soft ice which led to some bad injuries. Probably not just Boston but I remember the pictures in the Globe of dense fog clouds over the ice and folks in the cheap seats could barely see. I was lucky because I could drive in, park under the old elevated highway and walk in and only wanting 1 seat could get the best available for $5 tops. Even figuring in inflation, can't do that anymore.

Hockey in June is ridiculous. 84 mostly meaningless games in the regular season.

• Like 1

Why don't you drop by Slainte. I am presently in my condo located between Vancouver and Seattle. Although I have satellite, I can pick up both the Vancouver and Seattle channels over the air.

Which team am I hoping will win? I do not know. I like them both. I went to high school in the bay area, and now I live close to the Canadian boarder. I guess I am routing for the best team, whichever that turns out to be.

• Like 1