Chapala.com Webboard

buying a Mexican plated car

cedros

How would you buy a Mexican car in Texas when you need to officially transfer the factura at a recaudadora  in the state where it is plated.  I don´t think your ownership would be valid as several things have to be done to qualify to own a Mexican plated car as a foreigner.

You could probably drive it but how would you explain ownership at Aduana when it wouldn´t even be in your name.

Don't know why not. If the seller had the factura you would simply drive it to the state in Mexico where you want to register it. Aduana has never asked to see my car registration. You should buy insurance. Also check REPUVE to see if there are problems with the vehicle legally.

• Like 1

Well, Cedros, take your pick... a flat 'no', a 'probably not but maybe' and then a 'sure, why not'. Those are reasonable answers to a question that is probably not truly known by anyone. 

So to break a tie... I'm going with Mostlylost assuming one checks out the things he suggested. 

But then, what do I know?!?

• Like 1

It has to do with confirming ownership, and that the title is clear of tickets, or other liens, which can only be done at an office of the recaudadora in the Mexican state where the vehicle is registered.  I doubt that it can be done remotely. That's my best guess.  Insurance might also be a problem until the transaction has been officially completed.

It might be interesting to suggest that the seller return with you to that state, in Mexico, to complete the transaction, and thay you would pay his airfare back to the USA. If he refuses, you have your answer; something is fishy!

Then......What about US Customs? The vehicle was not imported into the USA & cannot be sold there, can it?

There is one obvious answer. If you had a permante visa you could drive your US plated car to Texas (but not into Mexico or you could lose your Permanente), sell the car. Then make a deal with the owner of a Mexican plate car to buy that car if he accompanied you and had it properly registered in Mexico. Then buy a ticket for that owner to go back to Texas: 

7 hours ago, slainte39 said:

I agree with Rick, a foreigner buying a Mexican plated car in Texas is not a standard everyday occurrence, so everyone is guessing. I would almost bet if you asked three different officials at Aduana, you would probably get three different answers also.:D

Aduana has nothing to do with  a Mexican plated vehicle other than if it was made outside of Mexico it is registered by the importer. They do not check it when you enter Mexico.

9 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Then......What about US Customs? The vehicle was not imported into the USA & cannot be sold there, can it?

Well RV that depends on what the definition of 'sold' is....  No, of course, it cannot be sold as in taking it to some official place in the US and having the sale blessed with holy water. But if it is a 'virtual' sold.... I will give you money and you give me the car and paperwork for it  and I'll drive it back into Mexico and consummate the virtual sale.... then there is no reason why it cannot be 'sold' in the US. Customs never comes with a hundred miles of that kind of 'sold in the US'. 

To me this is a similar question to 'can a US plated vehicle be sold in Mexico'. The answer is 'no' if one looks at the TIP laws. BUT, if the sale is a 'virtual' one.... I'm giving you money and you give me the car and the signed title.... and I drive it back into the US and THEN go to a local DMV with the signed title and 'consummate' the sale in my home state then yes, that is done a bunch. I've done it probably 25 times over the years.  

• Like 1

Rick- Yes, I did exactly that with a Canadian plated car I bought from a friend down here years ago. Drove it back up to Canada and had it transferred into my name. Then drove it back down here. That's when I was still a temp. resident. Then the INM law changed 2 years later and I had to go permanente and drive the thing back to Canada to sell it. 2001 CRV with only 85,000 K on it that she'd sold me for $5000 CAN. Would have lasted me the rest of my life. Broke my heart.

As far as I'm aware, while it's not technically legal to do this, the TIP laws were intended to prevent people from bringing cars down here to sell that end up remaining in Mexico without being officially and permanently imported.. If it eventually goes back up north, I shouldn't think they'd really care about that.