Chapala.com Webboard

US Income Taxes

Well, you can make excellent return on investments here, far better than the U.S these days.  Like 8 percent versus 2 percent.  There is no FDIC for any investment up there that pays anything approaching decent returns.  Our "convenience" bank in Texas pays no interest at all!

Balanced against that is having to file FBAR and report Mexican income on your tax return.

I file FBAR on line, takes me about 30 minutes tops.  I get a filing confirmation back from them in a few hours.

Actinver gives us very good statements of earnings and details things like the Mexican tax on them.  We have complete access to account statements on line and we check them at least once per week.  We watch everything and everyone like a hawk.  We actually had a Monex account but didn't like the way they do business and it just didn't smell right.  Plus they delivered lousy returns.  Actinver and MultiVa both do far, far better.

I do our returns with TurboTax in a couple hours.  Reporting the Mexican income and taxes is a snap with this software.  

• Like 1