Chapala.com Webboard

VPN

Just now, Herman said:

Not exactly sure what this is but sounds like a lot of folks use one. Any information you can provide will be appreciated. TIA

My experience:  I wanted to watch US Netflix and my techie spouse reviewed the various VPN's available and came up with one highly rated one:  ExpressVPN, which he installed.  This allows your IP address to be hidden and replaced with a U.S. address so that you no longer show as a Mexican address.  This gives you access to U.S. version of Netflix.  It also offers a higher level of general privacy, and you can turn it off or on as you wish. There is a charge for that VPN.  I have found their customer service very helpful.  If you need help with the installation, there is at least one poster on here who can do this for you.

• Like 1

I have done a few of these locally, but for some reason sometimes they work fir some and others not. Express included. Get a free trial before you pay,  explain to the customer service exactly what you want to watch and they will tell you which server to use..it does affect your internet speed so if low ,less than 4mbps it might buffer, but netflix can stream at decent levels below this.with ilox no problem.

I have used Express VPN for over a year and it works great.  Express VPN told me to set my location to New Jersey 3 and that has worked.  I can watch Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc.

https://www.expressrefer.com/refer-a-friend/30-days-free?utm_campaign=refer_friends&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_content=settings_get30daysfree&utm_source=ios_app&referrer_id=15252148

• 1 month later...

We got ExpressVPN. Worked great. Then it just went off and I could not sign in . Was on chat with 3techs there for a total of 5hours. We paid for a year and still can’t sign in. Changed password 4 times. We don’t want to cancel. use when it worked it was terrific. Now I am looking for a tech here that might help. Suggestions welcome.

I wasted $60 USD on a VPN only to discover it wouldn't work with my common as dirt TP Link router. Because I wanted to be able to watch on my big TV screen and not my computer monitor I was SOL. On my computer, it slowed everything to a crawl and 99% of the time I had to disable it.

They are, IMO, a waste of money. I have way more than I'll ever watch on Netflix.Mx, You Tube, and Amazon Prime Mx.. My partner is happy doing the same, but did get a Firestick to stream live crap news from NOB.   

Try getting a dedicated router with like ExpressVPN baked in. Connect to your Telmex or Ilox router and with a smart TV or even better, a Roku TV and you're golden.

4 minutes ago, chapalence said:

Can you provide a link or even a name for this type of router, please?

Go to the ExpressVPN site. Click on the Products tab, Routers. Check out the selection and decide if you want to DIY or choose "Preconfigured". I did configure one myself and I am a total novice but I thought I might have bricked the router before the help desk at EVPN got me back on track.

• Thanks 1

ExpressVPN does have wonderful customer service.  When I signed up for $99usd a year, the next day I was notified by my bank that over $1,000usd had been charged to my account (3 separate charges).  I cancelled the card and called ExpressVPN.  The customer service guy said he totally understood why I wanted to cancel the service and did so immediately.

I was left wondering how many times this happens. 

3 hours ago, Helyn said:

We got ExpressVPN. Worked great. Then it just went off and I could not sign in . Was on chat with 3techs there for a total of 5hours. We paid for a year and still can’t sign in. Changed password 4 times. We don’t want to cancel. use when it worked it was terrific. Now I am looking for a tech here that might help. Suggestions welcome.

I am going to guess that it has to do with some hidden settings on your computer, and perhaps some memory cache screwup in your TelMex modem. This is not an infrequent occurrence with TelMex modems.

Internet drivers for ethernet and WiFu should be replaced with updated versions, which will also clear out any anomalies. TelMex modem should be factory reset. Other tests and steps include resetting Internet Protocol, Winsock Repair.... etc.

I have actually seen it happen that somewhere deep in Windows' code something was screwed up, something that no one could find, but when Windows was reinstalled completely the problem was solved.

• Like 1

My spouse is the family techie and after checking the reviews, he set us up with ExpressVPN. We both need subtitles due to hearing problems. Some time later, the dreaded message appeared re using a VPN.  I called the help number and was told to switch to another choice of location when that happens.  Since then........no problem. It's been years now.  Some of the programs on their Mexican version have subtitles, so we have a choice.