Chapala.com Webboard

Travel from the USA to Cuba

More Liana

58 minutes ago, cedros said:

It is an interesting place and well worth a visit. Travelling there should be nothing to do with politics.

Couldn't agree with you more but the operative word there is.....'should'.  The politicians long ago made travel to Cuba political.... and verboten. 

I understand, but don't have personal confirmation, that when a US citizen travels to Cuba from Mexico the 'authorities' do NOT stamp one's US Passport as would be done normally. Any confirmation of that from a local Cuba traveler?

21 minutes ago, RickS said:

Couldn't agree with you more but the operative word there is.....'should'.  The politicians long ago made travel to Cuba political.... and verboten. 

I understand, but don't have personal confirmation, that when a US citizen travels to Cuba from Mexico the 'authorities' do NOT stamp one's US Passport as would be done normally. Any confirmation of that from a local Cuba traveler?

I have USA friends that have traveled to Cuba from Mexico and their passports are not stamped. When I went there and talked to some USA-ers they confirmed.

For a time, in 1960, American travel abroad was restricted in what was called the "Gold Ban", as an attempt to keep dollars in the USA.  My family was hit hard, when their passports were held, even as I had already departed and the car and furniture had already been shipped.  I wired complaints to Congress, from the Middle East, and my family soon got personal delivery and apologies, but nothing more.  It was declared unconstitutional to hold their passports, but it was OK to restrict the money flow.  It lasted no more than two years. 

Americans should complain, in these instances.  Other countries may deny entry, but the USA cannot deny exit to law-abiding citizens with valid passports.

• Sad 1