Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
michael2595

Proposed Tariffs on Mexico

Recommended Posts

The moderator shut this topic down last Friday 7:52AM (see thread "Tariffs").  I would imagine he will do it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Mod2 to pointed out, the topic was getting too political, and he had to close it down. Remember, we are not allowed to talk about politics on this forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's be real here.  If we didn't have the President we have in the U.S., there would have been no trade war with China, no punitive tariffs on Mexico, no proposal to spend multi billions on a wall, etc. etc..........so YES, it IS about politics, in spades.!!!  You want to talk politics, boogie on over to a board that allows it and rant away.  I'm getting annoyed at the constant attempts to talk politics on this board, where it has no place and where I USED to find a lot more information that had nothing to do with the poster's political bias.  Who needs it?😝

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gringal said:

Let's be real here.  If we didn't have the President we have in the U.S., there would have been no trade war with China, no punitive tariffs on Mexico, no proposal to spend multi billions on a wall, etc. etc..........so YES, it IS about politics, in spades.!!!  You want to talk politics, boogie on over to a board that allows it and rant away.  I'm getting annoyed at the constant attempts to talk politics on this board, where it has no place and where I USED to find a lot more information that had nothing to do with the poster's political bias.  Who needs it?😝

I think that's what they call "The pot calling the kettle black", but maybe I'm wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gringal said:

Let's be real here.  If we didn't have the President we have in the U.S., there would have been no trade war with China, no punitive tariffs on Mexico, no proposal to spend multi billions on a wall, etc. etc..........so YES, it IS about politics, in spades.!!!  You want to talk politics, boogie on over to a board that allows it and rant away.  I'm getting annoyed at the constant attempts to talk politics on this board, where it has no place and where I USED to find a lot more information that had nothing to do with the poster's political bias.  Who needs it?😝

Whatever the politics are I am talking about the economics. I choose  to stay away from politics. This will hurt both countries. I am just trying to figure out what will happen to Mexico from an ECONOMIC point of view. I would like to think people on this board are civil enough not to turn this into a political discussion/ rant. From the chart I presented looks like the peso will go up . Thats not good for the Mexican people

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
1 minute ago, michael2595 said:

I am just trying to figure out what will happen to Mexico from an ECONOMIC point of view.

th?id=OVP.U-D5kTf_P8PDkj275pNLmwG3Fn&w=6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, gringal said:

Let's be real here.  If we didn't have the President we have in the U.S., there would have been no trade war with China, no punitive tariffs on Mexico, no proposal to spend multi billions on a wall, etc. etc..........so YES, it IS about politics, in spades.!!!  You want to talk politics, boogie on over to a board that allows it and rant away.  I'm getting annoyed at the constant attempts to talk politics on this board, where it has no place and where I USED to find a lot more information that had nothing to do with the poster's political bias.  Who needs it?😝

I suppose you don't have any anti-American political bias? Why don't you keep your political opinions to yourself before preaching to others.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OP was very clear that he was interested in discussing the economic impacts of this, not the politics, as the other thread on this was closed due to it turning into a political debate. Yet there are those who appear to have the impulse control of a 2 year old and insist on disrespecting the intent of the post to spew what they just can't keep to themselves. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on. The OP asked a bunch of (mostly) elderly and aging foreigners for their opinions on how proposed tariffs will affect the Mexican economy. As if any of them have a clue. There are lots of places on the internet to learn about Mexican economic history and learned folks predicting the future status of the economy. Why anyone would come here to ask about it is beyond me.  As for whether it can be discussed without bringing in politics — it is possible but not probable.

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, FlyFree said:

I suppose you don't have any anti-American political bias? Why don't you keep your political opinions to yourself before preaching to others.

Anti-American bias?  That's a ridiculous statement.. I am an American citizen. I agree with Zena that the chances of this topic being discussed without politics entering the arena is possible, but extremely unlikely. 

I have stated a simple fact:  The imposing of tariffs is the direct fault of the current U.S. president who wants to impose the tariffs on Mexico.  This will hurt Mexico as well as the U.S. consumer.  Both Republicans and Democrats have voiced their opposition to this.  I happen to agree with that position,  as do most other American citizens, according to current polls.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exchange rate today was 19.60.   If that tells you anything

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, gringal said:

Anti-American bias?  That's a ridiculous statement.. I am an American citizen. I agree with Zena that the chances of this topic being discussed without politics entering the arena is possible, but extremely unlikely. 

I have stated a simple fact:  The imposing of tariffs is the direct fault of the current U.S. president who wants to impose the tariffs on Mexico.  This will hurt Mexico as well as the U.S. consumer.  Both Republicans and Democrats have voiced their opposition to this.  I happen to agree with that position,  as do most other American citizens, according to current polls.

You've proved my point. No further discussion warranted!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Exchange rate today was 19.60.   If that tells you anything

 

Expanding on that, today I went to an ATM at Banco Azteca and withdrew pesos from my US bank. The xe quote was 19.74, I got 19.41 net after fees. I bought US dollars at the Casa de Cambio in Chapala for 18.8. There must be some message there, but I didn't attend Wharton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy low, sell high?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texas farmers are worried because it will cost them billions. They expect Mexico to retaliate with like tariffs. It will also hurt other big farming states who are already almost bankrupt because China found other soybean sources. US farmers are not happy at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both WaPo and NYT are reporting that Mexico is willing to make concessions.   No word on whether this is acceptable to US to avoid Moday's proposed tariffs. 

From the NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/06/us/politics/trump-mexico.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

 

Quote

 

The arrangement being discussed would require migrants to seek asylum in the first safe country they enter. It would mean that people from Guatemala who want refuge in the United States could be quickly sent to Mexico instead, while those fleeing El Salvador and Honduras who try to enter the United States could be turned away and sent instead to Guatemala.

Mexican negotiators have also pledged to send 6,000 troops to Mexico’s border with Guatemala, the entry point for a recent surge of migrants who have made their way through Mexico to the United States border. The Washington Post first reported on Thursday the outlines of a possible deal between the United States and Mexico.

A Mexican official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the talks are continuing and private, cautioned that there had been no agreement reached on the asylum discussions.

If a deal is reached, Mexico would also allow an expansion of an American program in which those seeking asylum in the United States are required to wait in Mexico while their legal cases proceed. About 8,000 migrants are currently waiting in Mexico, but under the agreement, that number could grow.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too political folks.  Do not start another one of these threads.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...