Chapala.com Webboard

Short changed twice at Walmart, count your change and look at your receipt

When we first arrive lakeside from north of the border, most all of us depend upon the ATMs for our money. And I think most all of the ATMs spit out (when one asks for 1,2,3 or whatever thousand pesos) one 100 peso bill, two 200 peso bills and the remainder in 500 peso bills.

And we all know that one way to insure that you are not short changed is to pay close to the amount owed.  I couldn't do that until I finally got a bank and brokerage account in Mexico. Now when I get my 2000 pesos of spending money, I get maybe five 20s, four 50s and the remainder in 100 and 200 peso bills. (but almost never 500 peso bills)

Now I am usually able to pay so close to the amount owed that it doesn't take much effort to ensure one is not shortchanged.

The above system works for me. You might want to try it and see if works for you.  Yes, I know, folks are now posting about how one banking chain in Mexico has been ripping their clients off. So far, I have been lucky, now that I have a bank account. (no major problems)