Chapala.com Webboard

30-Day TIP

RickS

When one enters Mexico with paperwork from a Mexican consulate in the US for a Temporal, one has 30-days to get to their destination INM to 'finish' the process. IF one also has a foreign vehicle one is given, I think, a 30-day TIP also.... i.e. not the usual 180 day TIP. 

Often the INM process at your home base takes longer than 30 days to produce the actual Temporal visa card. My question is: what about the 30-day TIP one was given if the Temporal process takes longer than that to process?  Does it expire? Does one have to go to Aduana for an extension, showing their Temporal paperwork?  

Any first hand knowledge? I'd appreciate any second hand knowledge assuming that it is not 'just a guess'.

Gracias

Why do you "think" that people with an approval will only get a 30 day Importada Temporal? Is it because you think that it must match the 30 day deadline for them to appear at INM to begin the tramite?  I would suggest that would not be a logical assumption, even though one must apply to Aduana for an extension of the Importada Temporal upon any change of INM status.  That change does not happen until INM completes the tramite and issues the actual visa.

RV, I 'think' that because that is what I remember of the process as described by others in the past. I could be wrong about the length of that particular TIP so that is 1) why I said 'I think' rather than just state it as fact and 2) why I posted this message. You are one of the ones I 'thought' might respond with a definitive answer but I'm not reading your Post that way. 

Still looking for an answer to the premise of the Post. 

I can't be definitive, but I have never heard of that limit for those entering with a 'canje' in their passport, needing to report to INM withing 30 days of entering Mexico. Another reason that it does not seem likely, is that some folks get their Importada Temporal online, before they even approach the border.

As you know, we became Temporal, then Permanente, before the 2012 changes, and it was all done within Mexico, as we were able to do back then.  As such, our TIP was not a concern until we became Permanente. Then, we had a new concern.

When in doubt go to the source. According to Banjercito's online application

• If you are a foreign citizen, before starting the application process You should go to the following webpage http://www.inm.gob.mx/pae in order to apply for your Immigration Pre-Authorization. The vehicle permit will be issued for the same period as that stated on your Immigration Pre-Authorization. Furthermore, once you?ve entered Mexico You should approach an immigration officer in order to exchange your pre-authorization form for the proper immigration document.

Thanks 'lost'... that answers part of my question/premise.  But do you know what happens in real life when it .... after exchanging one's pre-auth form for one's Temporal in-progress paperwork and then getting to the destination city within 30 days and begin the last phase of Temporal-dom.... takes more than 30 days for the process and your TIP (issued for the same period as that stated on your Pre-Auth) would appear to have expired?  Should one trot themselves over to Aduana with the in-progress Temporal paperwork and ask them/insure that the TIP doesn't expire?   

15 hours ago, RickS said:

Thanks 'lost'... that answers part of my question/premise.  But do you know what happens in real life when it .... after exchanging one's pre-auth form for one's Temporal in-progress paperwork and then getting to the destination city within 30 days and begin the last phase of Temporal-dom.... takes more than 30 days for the process and your TIP (issued for the same period as that stated on your Pre-Auth) would appear to have expired?  Should one trot themselves over to Aduana with the in-progress Temporal paperwork and ask them/insure that the TIP doesn't expire?   

The TIP will be valid after the 30 days with your "tramite" temporary legal immigration status your local INM office issues you no matter how long it takes for them to finish the "tramite". What might be gone is your deposit on the TIP. The TIP is valid as long as your immigration status is valid until you become a Residente Permanente as far as I understand it.

It makes sense the TIP is for 30 days since one is only legal in Mexico for 30 days with a pre-approved visa until they have applied at INM. This happens many times every day.

A TIP obtained at the border with a pre-approved visa matches the FMM marked CANJE and both are for 30 days. As soon as one submits their visa process at INM they should go to Aduana to protect their deposit. Once visa is issued you go again and your TIP then expires when your 1 year TR visa expires. If you do not go to Aduana you lose your TIP but your car is legal as long as you are legal. In the event of an accident I have seen insurance companies immediately say the the insured person. prove to me your car is legally in Mexico. We went to Aduana for that letter.

Those obtaining a TIP on line (few do) will have a 180 day permit even with a pre-approved visa. In that case go to Aduana when your visa is issued and your TIP expires when your visa expires.

Repeat when renewing for 3 years.

Also note, if one has a travel letter, drives out and turns in their TIP,  upon your return you will not receive a car permit and you will be leaving your car at the border. 

In San Miguel one goes to Aduana at the Queretaro airport. Those in PV and Riviera Nayarit go to Aduana at the PV airport. 

www.soniadiaz.mx

• Like 1