Chapala.com Webboard

Sold US house/I need to sign docs

I am not sure that you can just go to the US Consulate in Guadalajara.  I believe you have to have an appointment.  Also, you are not allowed to enter with a purse so if anyone goes with you that has a purse they have to stay outside the building.  They are not allowed to stand by the building ... they have to cross the street.  I also read where it costs $50.00 U.S. per page notarized.  I don't know if this is correct but that is what was reported.  

We sold a house last year while living in Mexico. We signed all the sales docs online as described here. We asked the title company to prepare power of attorney documents for both of us which we took to the consulate and had them notarized. You can make an appointment online. If you get a POA, each person on the deed must assign the right to sign which of course doubles the cost of the service.

36 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

Ask your realtor, but no, we didn't. This is all done virtually, as in the papers you are "signing" are presented as documents (pdf I believe). It was very easy for all involved. Again, ask your realtor.

I asked again. I guess the price of the house dictates a notarized deed. 

It could be state law that governs the real estate process.  We sold remotely and everything was done via online signatures, UNTIL the last set of papers just prior to settlement; they required notarization (Arizona).  It also required a quick turn around time so the OP may want to inquire about that as well, and decide how to get the documents back for settlement in a timely manner. 

We recently sold a home in AZ, and bought one in TX. Both transactions were signed electronically, online, and all arranged by the real estate agents and the title companies involved.  It was easy, but it is time sensitive, so do not delay.  Follow your realtor's instructions.

If you have actual documents in hand, in Mexico, you may simply go to a Mexican Notario and have them notarized. You must then send them to the USA, so use a secure method for that.  Many years ago, we sold an US property while we were in Mexico, and used a Mexican Notario.  At that time, the cost was about $500 pesos.

Some title companies will not accept documents notarized in Mexico. Our realtor warned us of that possibility and strongly suggested getting documents notarized at the consulate.

The original contracts can be signed electronically but when it comes to closing and funding, a properly notarized signature or a POA is required.