Chapala.com Webboard

JANELLE'S GARDEN

gringal

When they first opened several years ago, they definitely were facing a "learning curve" so after our first sad meal, we didn't return until a few weeks ago.  We had some excellent lunches...and then they went on vacation!

Today, since they are open again, we lunched there.  They first brought a basket of very fresh bread with a good spread, which nicely abated any hunger pangs.

I can say without hesitation that this was the best burger I've had around here, as well as the best value.  Large sirloin patty on a "homemade" bun with good seasonings.  I couldn't finish it and shared half with my spouse.  Since I don't eat fries, they offered a salad instead and it included avocado, beets, several kinds of lettuce, radishes and a good French dressing on the side.  Besides that, there was cole slaw.  All this for 90 pesos!  So, for you burger fans, this is definitely worth a trip.

• Like 1

We've thoroughly enjoyed our meals at Janelle's Garden in the last year.  The owners are very "hands on", the service is pleasant and attentive, the food is consistently good and well priced.  Just enjoyed Sunday Brunch there this past weekend.  :)

Enjoy!

Val Jones

I don't know about the dinner prices, but we've been enjoying some great lunches in the 90 pesos range and are spending more time there lately.  I have nothing against saving money if the quality of the food is good along with the service. Besides that, there is a cool breeze on the level where the bar is, even on the hot days!

Went to what I think is their current FB page (they last posted in mid-May 2019).  No menu.  Not even their operating days or hours are shown!  Why bother having an online presence without these basics?  Unless there is another website for them (the one on their tripadvisor page is for when they operated as Roberto's and the last post there by owners was in 2016).  

45 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Went to what I think is their current FB page (they last posted in mid-May 2019).  No menu.  Not even their operating days or hours are shown!  Why bother having an online presence without these basics?  Unless there is another website for them (the one on their tripadvisor page is for when they operated as Roberto's and the last post there by owners was in 2016).  

Not everyone is familiar and/or comfortable with social media. It would be nice if someone would sit down with one of them and help them fill out the page. Maybe one of their regular customers could suggest they do that. 

It's just not in their blood. Even the hipsters in the restaurant crowd here falter frequently, because you have to have a daily presence. It's a "job", but it's treated as secondary. Like doing the books, you have to stay on top of it. One reason I gave up designing Websites: I just don't have the time to update them continually.

I understand that updating a more static www page can be a PITA (though I did it for my office and I'm not an IT person).  But Facebook???  Not buying any excuse for maintaining up to date info on FB.  Take a picture of your menu, slap it on your FB.  Most eateries in US and EU put their daily specials on FB.  

If Janelle's can't figure out how to even put their days/hours on their page, the should NOT have a FB page.  

4 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I don't disagree, but like I said, there's a certain arc of people who just are not interested. Especially in FaceBook.

But they HAVE a FB page.  It's last post was May 17 and it was a photo of their Gone On Vacation Sign.  So they seem to have the ability to do this, just choose to be lazy???  Not a good message or impression for any business.  Either keep up with your own FB page or delete it, IMO.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

10 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I don't disagree, but like I said, there's a certain arc of people who just are not interested. Especially in FaceBook.

When I clicked on the link with Trip Advisor, this was what was shown:

Janelle has owned this for about two years, so it's high time Roberto's name was removed and replaced with Janelle's Garden Restaurant.
We dined at Janelle's in Feb. 2019 and enjoyed it. Service was excellent, our dinner was done to our liking abd delicious. Their flan dessert, however, was more of a mousse than a custard. It was still tasty, though. Janelle and her husband were warm and gracious, even on a very busy night.

Date of visit: February 2019"

3 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

Tripadvisor want all types of proof the name and ownership has change, copy of lease, CFE bill, etc. Once they are satisfied it is no longer Roberto's and is indeed under new ownership the name will be changed. 

This is important protection for the owners.  I can think of all kinds of mischief that could happen otherwise.

• Like 1

Not a happy one time patron here.

Ordered  fish and chips and was told by owner lady it was definitely sea bass.….. NOT¡¡¡¡…..turned out as she confessed it was "basa"; Vietnamese catfish.

After receiving food, two separate parties arrived with dogs and given tables, one right next to us.

Won´t be returning.  Don´t care how nice the owners are or how cheap their prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1