Chapala.com Webboard

Where to Stay When I Visit

OK, so I'm prejudiced but I would suggest Casa Flores B&B in Ajijic as the perfect place to stay.  Beautiful rooms, grounds and a couple of blocks from Ajijic plaza but just far enough away to not be so noisy. Very highly rated. 

• Like 1

Mitch,

If you want to immerse yourself in older US and Canadian Expats, start in Ajijic. But, if you want to explore the more realistic ambiance of a small Mexican city, with expats happening to be part of the population, Chapala is the center of the Lake Chapala area, and has more to see and do. It is all of five miles from Ajijic, and you will want to explore everything in between, using the local bus, every 10 minutes, or so; Riberas del Pilar, San Antonio Tlayacapan, La Floresta, and Ajijic (all are part of the Chapala Municipalidad & popular with expats). You may even want to venture a few miles further west, to San Juan Cosala and even into the next municipality of Jocotopec, where you will also find expats.  Four or five days will definitely not be sufficient to get a feel for the area. Think about a two week minimum; or maybe even a month or two. Take the suggestions of those expats who have lived in the area for 5-10 years, and who speak some Spanish. Those who haven't done both, may be sources of very unusual opinions.  

Enjoy!  ¡Que disfrutes de la experiencia!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

Mitch,

If you want to immerse yourself in older US and Canadian Expats, start in Ajijic. But, if you want to explore the more realistic ambiance of a small Mexican city, with expats happening to be part of the population, Chapala is the center of the Lake Chapala area, and has more to see and do. It is all of five miles from Ajijic, and you will want to explore everything in between, using the local bus, every 10 minutes, or so; Riberas del Pilar, San Antonio Tlayacapan, La Floresta, and Ajijic (all are part of the Chapala Municipalidad & popular with expats). You may even want to venture a few miles further west, to San Juan Cosala and even into the next municipality of Jocotopec, where you will also find expats.  Four or five days will definitely not be sufficient to get a feel for the area. Think about a two week minimum; or maybe even a month or two. Take the suggestions of those expats who have lived in the area for 5-10 years, and who speak some Spanish. Those who haven't done both, may be sources of very unusual opinions.  

Enjoy!  ¡Que disfrutes de la experiencia!

Lake Chapala Inn is right on the Chapala Malecon. There is an incredible boutique hotel beside it that has just recently opened and was refurbished from one of the circa 1900 mansions. Chapala proper is where the Guadalajara weekenders come to party and there is plenty of eye candy for whatever your preferences might be. Yes, if you want to hang out with old people take the 5 minute bus for 7 pesos to Ajijic.

los ocultos 2015 045.jpg

• Haha 1

I like parties  where I chose to go, not parties that I can hear from my room.. My first time in Mexico was in Merida, in one of the nice small hotels there.. and the party started at 10 pm and went on all nght.. never again...

I came here 18 years ago, speak fluent Spanish and live in Ajijic where I learned Spanish . I stayed here one week and bought a house at the end of the week and still live n the same place. When we arrived in Ajijic I spoke no Spanish , 3 years later I did and decided I needed to get ouut of the area for a while during the year so I bought a house in Chapas where I live 8 months of the year now.. My husband comes down about 5 months of the year.. I have a good perspectve on what life is about in a place full of foreigners and a place with tourists but without many foregners. The place without foreigners has way less amenities and good hospitals and doctors than the place wth foreigners so it is all a qustion of choice.. The whole thing between Ajijic and Chapala is one of the silliness of the area.. Different people have different tastes some like Chapala and some lke Ajijic one is not better than the otherm they are just different and it all depends on what you like . 

I think thay if I were in your shoes I would spend 2 or 3 days with a friver showing me from Chapala to Jocotepec . Go to Guadaljara and Tlaquepaquand walk aroundand take buses the rest of the time ,I will give you a feel for the area .. You get a feel pretty quicly.. Make a list of what is important to you and see what you can get and what you cannot get and go from there.

• Like 5

#bmh  not a party animal myself, but does not bother me......

• Haha 1

#cstone TY, Hotel Casa Blanca looks great and the prices are not bad for the location and amenities...

13 hours ago, cookj5 said:

Hi Mitch, all the suggestions I have seen above are good for places to stay. One more would be Casa de la Abuela (Grandma's House). It's reasonably priced, nice rooms, good breakfasts and a good view of the lake and mountains beyond. It is in North Ajijic, right at the base of the mountains, but still only about a 10 minute walk from the Plaza and other locations in Central Ajijic. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499405-d1794279-Reviews-Casa_de_la_Abuela-Ajijic.html

As to a ride from the Airport, I wouldn't bother with Lyft or Uber. When you walk through the doors into the main lobby after going though customs, there will be a taxi ticket office near the exit doors. The price is about $450 pesos (around $25 USD). Just buy a ticket and walk out the door. There is a line of taxis at the curb. Hold up your hand with the ticket and the guy directing the taxis will come over and guide you to the right one. It's very safe and quick, only about a 30 minute drive to Ajijic. I usually tip the driver about $50 pesos (a little more than $2.50 USD). One suggestion, ask the person at Casa de la Abuela (or whatever B&B you choose) to email you directions from the airport to the B&B in Spanish. Then, just give it to your taxi driver and sit back and relax.

The suggestion you get directions to your lodging in Spanish is a  good one.  When I first went to Ajijic  I got a taxi at the airport and he was not familiar with Ajijic  streets so we did some hunting.  There is always some discussion about which is the best place to live, Ajijic or Chapala.  If you want to immerse in the Mexican culture, San Juan Consala or Jocotepec  are good choices.  I like all of them.  In Ajijic you have the Lake Chapala Society, a cultural center with many events, a nice Mall, Walmart  and over 150 Restaurants all in walking distance. It is also the art center with many artist studios.

5 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

Forgot to mention there are two cinemas in Ajijic , none in Chapala.

One in Ajijic and one in San Antonio Tlyacapan. I suggest that you re-aquaint yourself with a map of the area. Many many steps to Ajijic centro.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Aren't Uber parked out at the highway so you have to haul your luggage and you about 3/4 of a mile to use them when  a cab is available right at the terminal exit at a kiosk?

Ubers pick you up in  the airport right next to the taxis. Most I ever waited is 8 minutes. You order them with the app. You get drivers plate mumbers and photo. They receive your photo. No cash is exchanged. Uber charges your cc after you arrive at dest. You can add tip to charge if you wish. Then you rate the driver

24 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

The suggestion you get directions to your lodging in Spanish is a  good one.  When I first went to Ajijic  I got a taxi at the airport and he was not familiar with Ajijic  streets so we did some hunting.  

Had the same issue with unfamiliar drivers from the airport.  Get the directions in both Spanish and English so you can follow along and help the driver.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

One in Ajijic and one in San Antonio Tlyacapan. I suggest that you re-aquaint yourself with a map of the area. Many many steps to Ajijic centro.

The Mall and the Cinema are across the highway from Ajijic I have walked there many times.  How many times do you walk there from Chapala?

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

snip............................ It is also the art center with many artist studios.

I am glad you mentioned art, rafter. That is actually the beginning of Ajijic's  popularity but it is hardly the reason people move to Ajijic these days. Demographics are changing .  But the area is lovely and the weather is still fabulous (in comparison with other places.)

One thing one cannot ignore living in Ajijic (or Mexico in general) is the noise factor. Mexicans love to celebrate so get in the mood. Dogs can bark all night on the next property , parties can go all night . It could be annoying at the beginning before people get use to it (eventually).Before one moves permanently should check if there is not a machine shop next door or a restaurant as all is mostly behind the walls and not so obvious at first.

• Like 3

It all depends on where you live. Next to carretera and Ajijic centro  is noisy.  West side has a lot of fireworks at different times.  I lived in upper La Floresta  and got almost no noise. 

Centro Laguna, with the mall and cine, is in San Antonio Tlayacapan. You can walk there.  

The "highway" runs through Ajijic, so "across the highway from Ajijic" is an oxymoron.

• Thanks 3

When you get here you will find most of the people nice and friendly.  They will be glad to answer your questions.  Be sure and go to a Tiangus, this is a flea market type event where they sell many things.  It is where I buy my fruit and vegetables.  The Tiangus starts in Chapala on Monday and moves to a different pueblo each day.  The best ones are in Chapala and Jocotepec, the one in Ajijic is a little more expensive due to all the expats and the Mexican believe they have more money.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rafterbr said:

The Mall and the Cinema are across the highway from Ajijic I have walked there many times.  How many times do you walk there from Chapala?

Tobolandia is in SAT, so what you saying is not correct.  All locations on the Libramiento, either side on the west end are in SAT.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rafterbr said:

The best ones are in Chapala and Jocotepec, the one in Ajijic is a little more expensive due to all the expats and the Mexican believe they have more money.  

Oh yeah, blame it on the Mexican belief system.

I often wonder how so many foreigners know what Mexicans believe.  Most Mexicans wouldn´t be sharing their real innermost thoughts with foreigners or caring about how much money they have.  It´s just business and what your product is worth.  You should see the price of real estate or rentals in the upper scale neighborhoods of Zapopan and the west side of GDL, where no foreigner ever set foot.

I blame it on the ex-pats who don´t go there.  LOL

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2019 at 7:56 PM, chapalence said:

Why people keep coming when the infrastructure cannot support a larger population is beyond me. If I had it to do over again, I'd pick darn near anywhere but here.

And the question was?😌