Chapala.com Webboard

Where to Stay When I Visit

If I'm coming down for 4 - 5 days to see the area for a potential move, any recommendations for accommodations would be much appreciated.  I'd be flying in and taking a Lyft or Urber, whatever is recommended or available from the airport.  Thanks for your responses.

Cheers,  Mitch

Funny, I live in San Diego and people keep moving here even though the infrastructure cannot support the numbers.  Why are you still there if it has changed so much?  I'm just curious...thanks.

• Like 1

I remember a few years ago someone wrote and I believe it was in this forum.  Don't ask them if they like it here because if they didn't they would not be here!  I too,  don't like the large amount of expat's moving to Lake Chapala, but I can't think of a place I would rather be.

• Like 4

I agree with you...it's almost like people saying don't move to Seattle because it rains everyday.  When I flew into Seattle to interview at Amazon, it was sunny and hot.  During the interview I mentioned that and everyone said, please don't tell anyone...too many people moving here....lol

When I first came to Ajijic I stayed at the La Paloma B&B it has since closed.  I really had a great experience visiting and traveling with the other guests there.  I got many insights from the hosts of the B&B and the guests staying there.  They were from all over the world.  There are many really good B&B's in Ajijic.  You can pull up the list look at the ratings and reviews and pick one that suits you.  I would stay in Ajijic because it is a central point and you can walk to most places like the Lake Chapala Society which you need to visit.  All of the surrounding attractions can be visited by bus (very cheap) or taxi from Ajijic.

• Like 1

#rafterbr  Thank You...sounds good...whats the weather like over the next 4 weeks typically...

I guess I also need a converter plug for my devices...correct?

• Haha 3

If you're not feeling too frugal, there's the Nueva Posada on the lake and a nice B&B, Estrelleta, on 16 de Septiembre in Ajijic; close to everything.  Very comfortable; good restaurants nearby.

Weather:  toasty; maybe some rain if we're lucky.

When I moved here in 2008, people said it "used to be" better.  Don't the old timers always say that? 

About the only weather changes you see is rainy season and dry season.  It's also true during rainy season it usually rains at night.   I enjoy the rainy season which is now, every thing smells so fresh in the morning.  I have stayed at the Nuevo Posada in one of the rooms facing the lake.  The room was nice but you don't get the closeness with other guests like you do at some of the other places.  Nuevo Posada also has a nice restaurant.  Nuevo Posada is more a hotel than a B&B you eat in the restaurant with the other customers.  At the smaller B&B's the guests usually eat their breakfast together at a given time.

• Like 2

I'll most likely look for a smaller place like an air b&b...thanks again....yes, rain is good and does clear the air.  Love the rain esp at night...white noise to sleep by...very meditative...

4 hours ago, Mitch210 said:

If I'm coming down for 4 - 5 days to see the area for a potential move, any recommendations for accommodations would be much appreciated.  I'd be flying in and taking a Lyft or Urber, whatever is recommended or available from the airport.  Thanks for your responses.

Cheers,  Mitch

I am not sure if Lyft/Urber operates well from the air port. My experience with Uber was not good, guy wanted more than regular taxi. I took a taxi to SJC this evening and price has gone up to 700 pesos

5 hours ago, Mitch210 said:

Cheers,  Mitch

Hi Mitch, all the suggestions I have seen above are good for places to stay. One more would be Casa de la Abuela (Grandma's House). It's reasonably priced, nice rooms, good breakfasts and a good view of the lake and mountains beyond. It is in North Ajijic, right at the base of the mountains, but still only about a 10 minute walk from the Plaza and other locations in Central Ajijic. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499405-d1794279-Reviews-Casa_de_la_Abuela-Ajijic.html

As to a ride from the Airport, I wouldn't bother with Lyft or Uber. When you walk through the doors into the main lobby after going though customs, there will be a taxi ticket office near the exit doors. The price is about $450 pesos (around $25 USD). Just buy a ticket and walk out the door. There is a line of taxis at the curb. Hold up your hand with the ticket and the guy directing the taxis will come over and guide you to the right one. It's very safe and quick, only about a 30 minute drive to Ajijic. I usually tip the driver about $50 pesos (a little more than $2.50 USD). One suggestion, ask the person at Casa de la Abuela (or whatever B&B you choose) to email you directions from the airport to the B&B in Spanish. Then, just give it to your taxi driver and sit back and relax.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mitch210 said:

I'll most likely look for a smaller place like an air b&b...thanks again....yes, rain is good and does clear the air.  Love the rain esp at night...white noise to sleep by...very meditative...

If you're thinking the rainy season here is like the near constant rain and drizzle of the Pacific Northwest, you'll be surprised- sometimes it's a gentle rain, but more often it's like the sky just opened up and it comes down in buckets with lightening and thunder. Not exactly meditative- more like apocalyptic.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chapalence said:

Why people keep coming when the infrastructure cannot support a larger population is beyond me. If I had it to do over again, I'd pick darn near anywhere but here.

This is happening to all the places that attract tourists and retirees.  Better get used to it.  If coming now, be very attentive to picking a location as much out of the line of fire as possible. To answer the OP's question there are a ton of air BnB here now.  Take your pick.  You might want to split your time between Ajijic and Chapala as both offer a lot to see walking.

• Like 2

Uber wanted more than taxi?? I'm guessing the op knows drivers don't quote prices. Uber from airport is reliable & quick. The your ride will arrive in a couple of minutes. Fare is about 30% less than taxi. Quote as I write this is $373.17 from Ajijic to airport. Does help of you speak Spanish.

• Like 1

#mudgirl  Living in San Diego near the coast and growing up in NYC on the ocean, one misses thunder boomers and downpours...nothing like a solid drenching...lol...same in South Florida when I lived there and the Bahamas...when it rained, it poured....

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Uber wanted more than taxi?? I'm guessing the op knows drivers don't quote prices. Uber from airport is reliable & quick. The your ride will arrive in a couple of minutes. Fare is about 30% less than taxi. Quote as I write this is $373.17 from Ajijic to airport. Does help of you speak Spanish.

Aren't Uber parked out at the highway so you have to haul your luggage and you about 3/4 of a mile to use them when  a cab is available right at the terminal exit at a kiosk?