Chapala.com Webboard

Iron On patches

I need some also. They sell them at fabric stores. There used to be a fabric store in Ajijic but I think it vanished or moved. Anybody know where it's located these days? I know there is one behind the bus station in Chapala, but it'd be easier for me if there is one in Ajijic. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Iron-on patches are usually pretty thick- not that great for a sheet. But you can buy iron-on interfacing in the fabric stores, which comes in varying thicknesses. It comes by the meter, you could buy a small strip and cut it to size.

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is for bottom fitted sheets  and the patches would be near the top (under the pillow) or near the foot.🙃

1 hour ago, gringal said:

FYI:  I went to Soriana in search of the iron on patches.  They do not have them.  I guess it's the Tiangus....dang.

We have purchased them in the past and have always had to ask as they are not where you would think where they should be.

They were limited in colour to blue and black.

17 minutes ago, canmex87 said:

We have purchased them in the past and have always had to ask as they are not where you would think where they should be.

They were limited in colour to blue and black.

I was looking in the sewing notions dept, and when I couldn't find them, I asked one of the employees, who said they don't have them now. 

Just a suggestion, it might help when shopping and looking for an "iron on patch" if you knew what it is called in Spanish. I speak limited Spanish and do not have the slightest idea how to say it in Spanish :)      Anyone know?

7 hours ago, gringal said:

I was looking in the sewing notions dept, and when I couldn't find them, I asked one of the employees, who said they don't have them now. 

If you were in the sewing store, why didn't you just buy a piece of the iron-on interfacing like I suggested? It's basically the same stuff, you just have to cut it to size.

I have used the phrase "parches para planchar" and everyone has known what I meant, even if it's hacky Spanish. But I was always in a fabric store when I used that phrase, so I was in the right neighborhood.

mudgril, I guess your missed that she was in a Soriana. Maybe you don't have them where you live but they're not a "sewing store". More like a Walmart-type chain store.

9 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Probably better to spell it out a little more, like…

¿Tiene  parches de tela se puede planchar sobre la tela rota para arreglarla?

Hierro is iron alright….different kind….LOL

I was wondering about that!  😏  When I spoke in my primitive Spanish to the ladies trying to help me, I found that body language served the purpose by mimicking the act of ironing.  They "got it" just fine. Soriana is definitely NOT a sewing store, although they have a few sewing needs.  I'll go for the tiangus next Wednesday.

Soriana - might try over with the curtains and rods.

Travis you haven't asked me but I have some.  I gave Gringal some black a year or two ago and I haven't any white or I'd have offered it up.  

My sewing notions have been lonely for years.

1 hour ago, solajijic said:

Soriana - might try over with the curtains and rods.

Travis you haven't asked me but I have some.  I gave Gringal some black a year or two ago and I haven't any white or I'd have offered it up.  

My sewing notions have been lonely for years.

We cruised up and down ALL the non-grocery aisles without success.  The sewing notions aisle was where I cornered the employees and asked.

SCORE!!!

At Constitucion #10, Ajijic, there is a small, ancient sewing shop. Just east of Colon, across from Memo's, orange and blue exterior. The building has four sets of doors, the doors closest to Colon have the sewing shop. Occasionally the store is open. She has a small assortment of iron on patches, most in very bright colors. I asked if she had any black....no.... but she did manage to dig up some dark blue denim patches which will work for me. The store looks like it was last re-stocked in 1998. 😊

The kicker is this store is located about 30 feet from my office. Shows what an excellent shopper I am. 😆