Chapala.com Webboard

Visiting Canada with Mexican plated vehicle?

On 5/22/2019 at 12:23 PM, DeborahM said:

I can't find any information about this. Are we permitted to bring "Mexican plated cars" "to Canada" for "temporary visits"? Thanks for any information, or for "direction to reliable sources".

30 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Canadians are not considered "visitors", even if they have been away for years. 

From the OP's question, we know she asked: 1) "Mexican plated cars", 2) "to Canada", 3) for "temporary visits" and 4) she asked for "reliable sources".

No where says she's Canadian so I cannot make the assumption. She is very likely a Canadian, but can be a French, a Japanese, a Chinese or maybe a Belarusian just wants to tour Canada. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lily H said:

From the OP's question, we know she asked: 1) "Mexican plated cars", 2) "to Canada", 3) for "temporary visits" and 4) she asked for "reliable sources".

No where says she's Canadian so I cannot make the assumption. She is very likely a Canadian, but can be a French, a Japanese, a Chinese or maybe a Belarusian just wants to tour Canada. 

I am a Canadian non resident living in Mexico, planning to spend a few months in Canada visiting friends and family. 😁

On 5/23/2019 at 5:11 PM, Ferret said:

The first sentence does. I have a letter from the Government of Canada that states that I am officially a Non Resident of Canada. Therefore, I can drive my Mexican plated car in Canada.

This is exactly what I was looking for Ferret! THANKS so much!

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, Ferret said:

The first sentence does. I have a letter from the Government of Canada that states that I am officially a Non Resident of Canada. Therefore, I can drive my Mexican plated car in Canada.

Unfortunately it is not that simple.

Canada! Why on earth would you want to travel there? I can arrange a tour of Borneo headhunter villagers if you like. Much safer than dealing with Newfy seal hunters and their metal bats, or the Mounties and there twelve foot lances. The "funny money" there with it's wildly confusing psychedelic colors, you are bound to get cheated. What other country names their coins after birds?

• Sad 3

On 5/26/2019 at 4:34 PM, CHILLIN said:

Canada! Why on earth would you want to travel there? I can arrange a tour of Borneo headhunter villagers if you like. Much safer than dealing with Newfy seal hunters and their metal bats, or the Mounties and there twelve foot lances. The "funny money" there with it's wildly confusing psychedelic colors, you are bound to get cheated. What other country names their coins after birds?

Are you just trying to alienate Canadians? Stir up trouble? Looking for feedback?

Actually, I am just parroting what we were told by two I.C.E. Border gaurds in Blaine, Washington. We told them the truth that we were transiting the U.S. to Mexico. That is when one agent exclaimed " Mexico! Don't you watch the news, they shoot white people down there just for fun! " I replied that we generally feel safe down there, but there many areas of the U.S.A. where we would not feel safe, parking overnight with a utility trailer full off goods. The other "nice" agent agreed and were on our way, no bonds or duties, just forced to stand in a two hour line up, not allowed to use the washrooms.

I believe it is called satire.

I doubt it if many Canadians have seen full dress Mounties and their horseback lances except on the Cdn. $50 bill. You have to admit the image is rather bizarre, like what they call a Mexican stand off (for reasons I do not know) - you stab me I will stab you, both will die.