Chapala.com Webboard

Epson printers and ink question

I am looking into buying an Epson printer with the fallible ink wells.  However, some places sell a printer that uses a 500 series ink and others use a 600 series ink.  WalMart today had a 500 series printer but only 600 series ink bottles.  My question:  Can you use 500 series ink in a 600 printer and vice versa, 600 ink in a 500 printer.  The ink all comes in the same color bottles.

You will need to contact Epson technical support. There is nothing I can find on the Web to answer your question. I can say that, as far as I know, ink is ink. It is the cartridges that are the issue, not the ink. I mean, just look at the wide number of printers this ink on Amazon will work with (although one of them match the 500 or 600 series as listed).

https://www.amazon.com/EPSON-Original-Refill-T6641-T6642/dp/B00NUXE7H6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=epson+ecotank+refill+ink&qid=1558544028&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I started an online chat with Epson and in order to get an answer they wanted to charge me $10 on my credit card for them to give me an answer. Then I got a guy on the phone that said he didn’t know if you could use different series of ink bottle numbers are not just try a different number bottle and see what happens so that didn’t seem too good. I called back and got a different person and he understood my question and indicated that the appropriate number ink should be used with the appropriate printer because if a different numbered series bottle ink would be used it would affect the  Quality of the print on the paper.  I want to get one of the eco tank printers as the ink last much longer and my old printer I have now I can no longer get the cartridges. 

I have a 575 Epson printer with fillable wells.  It's great, had a very similar 500 series in the US, very much the same  but no fillable wells..  I  prefer the new one with fillable wells, "Ecotank".

In answer to your question, I just ordered the 575 refill bottles for the 500 series.  I bought them on Amazon.com.mx, same price as mercadolibre.mx and WalMart. I am looking at the bottles (in boxes) now.  They all say this (in Spanish, but I will translate to English in bold.

Para (FOR):  L110, 120, 200, 210, 220, 300, 310, 350, 355, 365, 375, 380, 395, 455, 475,, 495, 555, 565, 575, 606, 655, 656, 1300, 1455.  ALL numbers are proceeded by letter L.  Per Computerguy, L is the model number.

The boxes in which the ink is stored are labeled "T664" or "664".

Here's the thing:  if it is an Epson printer with a refillable Ecotank, the inks are all the same.  

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 8:30 PM, ComputerGuy said:

Laserjets, though, use toner powder, not ink.

Computerguy, my printer is an Epson L575.  All of the Epson numerical printers, above, that I listed  have the letter "L" preceding the number.  i  just omitted it, took too long to type.  But you are right, laser printers use powder.  And the only brand who offers true Laserjets is HP, they have a copyright on the name Laserjet. 

But the bottle of ink for my L series Epson printer are all liquid that goes in the Ecotank. 

Let's be clear here; you said: " ALL numbers are proceeded by letter L for Laserjet." That's quite different than having "L" in the model number of the printer.

Laserjet is just a copyrighted name; all other manufacturers offer "real" laser printers.

As for liquid ink, I look at it this way: any employee telling you to use the proper ink is just marketing to you. Ink is ink: if you go and get a refill for your cartridge, the refill guy doesn't rummage through hundreds of "types" of ink: he just grabs the right colour from a generic, universal squirt bottle. Now, maybe one brand is better than another; maybe not; maybe some brands work better in some machines, too. Who knows. It doesn't affect your machine except in one way: original inks from some manufacturers include metallic chips that tell the printer if it is original or not. Some go so far as to refuse to print if they discern a generic refill. Again, that's just a money-maker for them, and has nothing to do with the quality of the ink.