Chapala.com Webboard

Taking ETN bus to Nuevo Laredo - how to cross bridge?

I am taking the ETN bus to Nuevo Laredo and then need to cross over into Laredo. (I have taken Turimex in the past - they go right in to Laredo but the bus is full the day I need to travel).

What is the best way to cross over into Laredo? I suspect by cab, but I've heard the rates are ridiculous.

Any hints, insights from people who've done this are much appreciated.

Thanks!

ETN arrives at the bus station in Nuevo Laredo. Walk out front of the building and you'll see the taxis. Ask to go to the bridge. (Be sure to ask first how much is the fare, else you will be taken for 2 rides :-)  Fare 2 years ago was 50 pesos. Taxi will let you out right in front of the bridge. Join the line to walk across. You will need your passport. Really easy. I love walking that bridge. I do it pulling a suitcase. On the other end of the bridge there are taxis you can take to wherever.

3 hours ago, Jreboll said:

What’s the best bus to SA from Laredo?

What are the choices? Hard to answer without knowing who does that route these days.

5 hours ago, Jreboll said:

What’s the best bus to SA from Laredo?

What is your criteria for 'best'?  Price, accommodations, schedule???

Google can be of immense help when wondering about these kind of things....

https://www.wanderu.com/en-us/depart/Laredo%2C TX%2C USA/San Antonio%2C TX%2C USA/2019-05-29/?cur=USD&dpid=ChIJrw7QBK9YXIYRvBagEDvhVgg&opid=ChIJJT35p2zAYIYRkXRWSVN6QLQ

• 5 months later...

I'm headed back to Laredo, taking ETN and getting a taxi from Nuevo Laredo to Laredo. Last time, I got a quote at the station of $25. When we got to my hotel, the driver charged me $50. How can I avoid this, or is there no way?

This time I'm staying in an Airbnb and don't want to incur more fees from the Nuevo Laredo cab driver. I want him to drop me at someplace like a Denny's just over the bridge. I will call uber from there.

Does anyone know of a restaurant similar to Denny's just over the bridge? Or have other suggestions? 

Gracias for any ideas!

McDonald's.  There are many hotels also that you could go to and then be picked up.  I just came back from there last week.  I paid 500 pesos for taxi from estacion de autobus in Nuevo Laredo all the way to the Laredo airport.  I thought that was a very good price. I asked the driver how much before we left NL, gave him that much when we got to the airport. There were cabs parked just on the other side of the bridge.  You can probably just get out of the MX cab and get right into one from Laredo. 

4 hours ago, barefootcontessa22 said:

I'm headed back to Laredo, taking ETN and getting a taxi from Nuevo Laredo to Laredo. Last time, I got a quote at the station of $25. When we got to my hotel, the driver charged me $50. How can I avoid this, or is there no way?

This time I'm staying in an Airbnb and don't want to incur more fees from the Nuevo Laredo cab driver. I want him to drop me at someplace like a Denny's just over the bridge. I will call uber from there.

Does anyone know of a restaurant similar to Denny's just over the bridge? Or have other suggestions? 

Gracias for any ideas!

Why didn´t you just hand him the 25 he asked for at the beginning?

• Haha 2

On 11/12/2019 at 8:14 PM, ibarra said:

McDonald's.  There are many hotels also that you could go to and then be picked up.  I just came back from there last week.  I paid 500 pesos for taxi from estacion de autobus in Nuevo Laredo all the way to the Laredo airport.  I thought that was a very good price. I asked the driver how much before we left NL, gave him that much when we got to the airport. There were cabs parked just on the other side of the bridge.  You can probably just get out of the MX cab and get right into one from Laredo. 

Thanks. This is good and helpful information. I appreciate it.

On 5/22/2019 at 1:59 PM, Zeb said:

Walk across the bridge.  Just follow the crowd.  You will go down and then back up.  Get cab after you have crossed.  Otherwise fees ridiculous.

All international crossings by taxi are more expensive .  The driver must be free of crime convictions (police report-cost).  You need an I94(cost)  He/she cannot pick up fares in the other country unless ordered from taxi dispatch. Has to return with no fare. The fares take all these costs into account plus border crossing fees.