Chapala.com Webboard

Hospital San Antonio

Even the "high" costs her for medical attention, dwarf many places in the U.S. if you don't have insurance.

Medical bankruptcies are at record numbers in the U.S.

Some hospitals have even asked to see the deed to the patient's house. No s**t.

3 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

Even the "high" costs her for medical attention, dwarf many places in the U.S. if you don't have insurance.

Medical bankruptcies are at record numbers in the U.S.

Some hospitals have even asked to see the deed to the patient's house. No s**t.

"Some hospitals have even asked to see the deed to the patient's house".

In reality, some US hospitals may ask for pay stubs or monthly mortgage payments when a patient files for payment assistance, never house deed. 

Provide facts to your statement.

I was speaking of Mexico not to United States.

There is a reality here in Mexico, or at least Lakeside, and that is Gringos are looked at as cash cows, and they will be milked for everything possible.

That is my opinion based on my experiences during the 18 years I have lived here.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

There is a reality here in Mexico, or at least Lakeside, and that is Gringos are looked at as cash cows, and they will be milked for everything possible.

That is my opinion based on my experiences during the 18 years I have lived here.

Well, I don't live Lakeside, but that has not at all been my experience living in Mexico for 20 years. Mexicans have been fair and generous with me. 

Of course gringoes who live here for a decade or more without bothering to learn more than a few bumbling words of Spanish, or live a lifestyle which puts them firmly in the camp of gringolandia may find themselves taken advantage of.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

Learning Spanish

For some people learning another language is easy, for others, it's not.

Then there are those who simply can not learn it due to some "issue." I am very hard-of-hearing and have been for decades. This more than slightly impacts my ability to learn Spanish. I know enough to get my ideas across, but have to rely heavily on "Si, no," and pointing to understand. Sometimes I use my cell phone translator, but that's slow and not always accurate.

I do agree however, that people who won't even try to learn the native language will have self-induced problems.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

I am very hard-of-hearing and have been for decades. This more than slightly impacts my ability to learn Spanish

I am not hard of hearing, but I am a visual learner, not an auditory one. 

So if I hear a word that is unfamiliar to me, even if I ask the person to explain to me what that word means, I don't retain it. But if I see it written down, I remember it. 

This is how I taught myself Spanish. I have the book 501 Spanish verbs and a good Spanish/English dictionary. I would play out in my head what I needed to say when going to make a needed purchase the next day, then work out how to say that in Spanish, in a complete, grammatically correct sentence and write it down. Because I used that sentence almost right away, and it was for a practical purpose, not just rote learning, it stuck with me. 

Once I knew how to say, "I'm looking for some sandpaper", then it was an easy matter to substitute another word for sandpaper when I needed something else. After awhile I started understanding most of what was said to me, with a few words I didn't understand, instead of understanding only a few words with the rest just gibberish.

People learn in different ways and you have to find the way that works best for you. And motivation is the biggest factor in learning something new. If all one cares about is learning enough Spanish to sort of get by in a very basic way, or is married to a Spanish speaker, there may be little mottivation to learn. If you would like to be able to carry on a conversation about something deeper- politics, or social issues, or what someone's thoughts are on a proposed new highway, rather than just what you want the maid to clean, or the gardener to do, then one has the motivation to learn.

• Like 3

I also agree with your point of view gringal. It's hard to SAY a word, if you can't HEAR it to begin with to understand the pronunciation. Albeit, Spanish is much easier than English with it's strange combination of letters and different pronunciations of those combinations. Written Spanish is better than nothing but really tough conversation wise. Even written Spanish can get you nowhere because there are many Mexicans who are not well educated. Trying to understand whatsapp texts from my housekeeper is hard because she can't spell in Spanish. So glad I have good hearing... lousy eyesight but good hearing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

when I went to Hospital San Antonio for a quick tour I was shocked to see that they have NO COVID protocols. They are attempting to control covid but they have no idea what they are doing. Their preventive measures are worse that a hospital in Africa.

I work with Doctors without Borders and I saw first hand how horrible medical care be. Not only was it dirty the hallways smelled of something noxious.

Needless to say I cut the visit short and left abruptly. My worry is that I or my husband could get covid in Hospital San Antonio just by being there.

san antino.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Kevinbruno said:

when I went to Hospital San Antonio for a quick tour I was shocked to see that they have NO COVID protocols. They are attempting to control covid but they have no idea what they are doing. Their preventive measures are worse that a hospital in Africa.

I work with Doctors without Borders and I saw first hand how horrible medical care be. Not only was it dirty the hallways smelled of something noxious.

Needless to say I cut the visit short and left abruptly. My worry is that I or my husband could get covid in Hospital San Antonio just by being there.

san antino.jpg

Same libelous nasty liar as the other 3 lying again[same person-one post]. NOTHING IN YOUR POST IS REALITY. I speak from REAL experience. Oh, and my son went to med school in Tanzania and London England,  and has attended with me to HSAT on 2 occasions and is quit happy for his dad and stepmom that they can be taken care of for almost everything just 5 minutes from their casa.

pedro kertesz

• Like 3

I think this has gone far enough.  As always it is important to research carefully when choosing medical providers.  Prior to the opening of SA Hospital, emergency services were pretty sketchy here.  This is no longer the case thanks to the SA folks and others.  

• Like 3