Chapala.com Webboard

Good news! Fiber optic? coming to SAT and Riberas/Telmex

1 block from my house (corner Ramon Corona & Jesus Garcia) a group of workers were digging in the street next to the Infinitum junction box.  I asked them if they were repairing the 'phone lines, since my landline is out and my internet is not working 1/2 the time.  They said no, they are installing fiber optic cables.

I went to Telmex to put in a service order for my non-working landline and the poor internet.  The rep there confirmed there is significant installation going on in San Antonio, and it is upgrading of the cables to faster service, but not fiber-optic.  She said the new speeds would be between 40 and 50 mbps (translation: 20 to 30).  She said the goal is to have this working in 1 month (translation: 3 months) and all houses would receive a 'phone call on their landline and possibly a note in their buzon. She said after San Antonio, Riberas is next. 

While returning back to San Antonio I stopped at Cafe Libertad, mountainside, and I saw another group of workers digging holes and laying cable near another Infinitum junction box.  I asked the guys and they told me: fiber optic, muy pronto.

Now, if only my 1.5 mbps would only start working and my landline would come back on in the meantime.

Don't get you hopes up too high. I spoke with an English speaking Telmex tech and he got on the phone with the department who lays and upgrades cable. He translated to me that they are laying the lines everywhere first but not changing the lines out to the homes for quite some time. They do not have the new modems needed for changing the service out (your DSL modem will not work.) Plus, they do not have a price scheduled for charging customers from the house to the line yet. I knew they would not do it for free as their competitors have an installation fee. So yes, there will be a slight bump up, but as long as the line carrying the data packages from their fiber to your home is DSL and your modem is too, 15 is probably as high as it is going to get for some time. 

Right now they have got me at a steady 14 mbps and I pay for the 15 mbps package. It is good enough for me and quite frankly, Telmex has given me less outages in the last two years than Comcast did in a month. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

...... but as long as the line carrying the data packages from their fiber to your home is DSL and your modem is too, 15 is probably as high as it is going to get for some time. 

This is not necessarily true... or it doesn't have to be true. IF they decide to utilize the fiber from 'central' out into neighborhoods... to a device called a DSLAM... and then hook up 'to the home' with existing copper phone wiring, speeds could be well above your 15.  Actually this is how they would have to be doing some locations already as DSL has severe distance limitations on good copper wiring, much less Telmex wiring. Only caveat is... can their current crop of DSL modems actually achieve much higher speeds. CG would know.....

RickS is correct. Currently, TelMex deploys VDSL in certain areas (no, I don't know which). No special modems are required; the ones available for the last few years are quite capable. VDSL can get you up to about 52Mbps. The bonus for any IP moving to VDSL is very low cost, because not much is needed in the way of upgrades, and almost nothing in the field. Trouble is, ADSL can travel about 20,000 feet (most of us have ADSL), while VDSL can only travel about 4,000 ft. So it is limited right now, lakeside.

My own service with TelMex went from 10, to 20, to 40Mbps. No change in wiring or modem, in the house or on the street.

Fibre modems are different animals than DSL modems. They are referred to as ONTs or ONUs (Optical Network Terminals/Units). You can get fibre to the pole but copper to the house, using a DSL modem, and get great speed, but I believe that is kind of rare, because what's the point of stringing expensive cable and not utilizing it?

What I'd really like to know is if anyone here is using this amazing ClearCurve fibre from Corning.

I only know what the very nice Telmex tech told me who was speaking with a person from the department putting in new Fiber in the area. No fast speeds without new modems and eventually paying for cable to the house. I was told at the office I was getting 30 MBPS but when I called to report I was only getting 15 MBPS they were very insistent it was impossible for me to get the offered Fiber speeds with my current wiring and modem. I ask for them to send me a new modem and he said there was a wait for them. I was just so happy I got someone who spent so much time trying to get answers for me so I will except them as the truth. 

• Like 1

Now that TelMex is indeed installing fibre, there is absolutely no reason for them to upgrade any of the existing services, financially or otherwise. Their customer "service" must operate on a shoe-string budget, and the fact that they are doing fibre here has to be a direct result of iLox's foray into lakeside. Otherwise, I doubt they would spend the money. I'm surprised they are doing this at all, because they really don't see a "need" lakeside; their attitude is more like "annoying gringos" than offering a service. Guadalajara is a much more competitive and lucrative market, for example.

When they said "it was impossible for me to get the offered Fiber speeds with my current wiring and modem" they were absolutely correct on two fronts. One is they know what the maximum speed available is in all areas lakeside, and since they won't be upgrading the current installations, you are already getting your max. The second is even more true: you won't get fibre speeds without a fibre installation, and that includes stringing cable on your street, dropping it to your house, and installing a new fibre ONU.

Is there a third player in the fiber market? I live in San Antonio and about 2 or 3 months ago, an unidentified contractor was installing fiber. Remember we had threads on this forum, pictures of cable? Ilox isn't in SAT yet. It wasn't identified as Telmex. Izzy is dizzy. Do we know what that was about?

I was told by installers on two occasions that they were called "iFibre". No identifying marks on trucks or clothes. My personal take? They just told me something to get me to leave and stop asking stupid questions... I have not seen them for a few months.

19 minutes ago, Sea said:

Is there a third player in the fiber market? I live in San Antonio and about 2 or 3 months ago, an unidentified contractor was installing fiber. Remember we had threads on this forum, pictures of cable? Ilox isn't in SAT yet. It wasn't identified as Telmex. Izzy is dizzy. Do we know what that was about?

Ilox is in SAT, I have the wires and the box on the pole by my house, just waiting for the installers to come.

30 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

Ilox is in SAT, I have the wires and the box on the pole by my house, just waiting for the installers to come.

That's good news. First time that I've heard they are here.

I don't know about all this. I live in lower SAT and both my phone and internet went out on Friday of last week. I also talked to some folks that live nearby and they told me that all of the houses in our general neighborhood had the same problem. On Saturday I saw the same group of Telmex workers at Ramon Corona & Jesus Garcia digging in the street next to the Infinitum junction box as the OP spoke about. I stopped and talked to the supervisor and asked if they were working on the outage problem. In English he told me yes and that they should have service restored by the end of the day. Well it did come back, but not till late Monday! Also I was one of the posters who mentioned months ago that someone was stringing fiber optic cable in the exact same area and they gave me a name that was not Ilox and were from Chapala. Other posters responded that it was Ilox and they were just contractors stringing the cable. I signed up for ILOX a few days after they opened their office an Ajijic and they told me 2 months for instillation. 2 months have long come and gone so I stopped by there a few days ago and they told me 2 more months!  Another Mexican Novela...All the twists and turns...what will the final chapter reveal?

Gringohombre and luvsdawgs and Sea, seems we are in the same area and talking to the same people. 

A few months ago I saw the same guys luvsdawgs did, and my husband went out and spoke to them.  We thought for sure this was iLox.  But the guys said no...and they weren't Telmex, either.  So, who were they?  They were climbing those poles and stringing cable as fast as I have seen anyone do.  And they told us this cable (along La Paz) was going all the way to Riberas.

We were so excited we drove to the iLox office that very day and spoke to the rep and asked to get on the list. What list?  There is no list for San Antonio, she told us. Ilox isn't coming to SAT.

Now I am REALLY confused! 

Dozens of people have prepaid service in San Antonio, Chula Vista, and Riberas...They will be installing soon as they can get to them.

They had no problem taking my money and telling me I would have the service in 2 months. Now after more than 2  months they are telling me 2 more months! Just who were those guys string that cable right on my street just a block from my house 3 months ago? The Novela continues!!!

On 5/23/2019 at 3:46 PM, ComputerGuy said:

I was told by installers on two occasions that they were called "iFibre". No identifying marks on trucks or clothes. My personal take? They just told me something to get me to leave and stop asking stupid questions... I have not seen them for a few months.

I think you are right. I just know for sure I have fiber cables in front of my home on San Luis (Riberas) not being used. lmao

11 minutes ago, RickS said:

"iFibre" was the name being given out to all that stopped in the neighborhoods asking the workers. Everyone was trying to make it iLOX but they continued to say iFibre.

I'm searching the friendly Google and can't find a website for them.