Chapala.com Webboard

Why are all prices in stores the same, no matter where you go?

kimanjome

This really puzzles me.  I go to Ferreteria A, Ferreteria B, and Ferreteria C, and they all have the same prices for the same item.  A Truper tool is priced the same no matter where you go.  A kilo of screws is the same.  Why doesn't the owner of  Ferreteria A lower his prices in order to bring in more customers?   I don't see the wide variation of prices you see in the US.  Anyone have an idea about this? (Scratches head).   

I don´t know…….

Less pollution to the environment by people travelling hither and yon seeking a better price?

All the stores finding the bottom price for not going into a "going out of business" scenario?

Price fixing?

All owned by the same extended family?

Who knows?....it is what it is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Okay, found the answer to this from my housekeeper.  She says all the stores are told by Coca-Cola, Sabritas, Truper, etc. at what price they must sell the products.  Really unfair to the consumers, I think--and illegal in the US!  Can you say, "price fixing?" Not only that, she told me that her various friends, who own abbarotes, have told her that they make only 1 or 2 centavos on a bottle of Coke.

However, where the abbarotes  do make their profit is on non-named items, especially items like sugar, flour, beans, baking sode, dog food--anything the owner can buy in bulk and break down and repackage in generic plastic bags.  She said there is some profit on produce, bread,  etc. but it is not as great as on the bulk items.  She also mentioned that the abbarotes charge variable prices on the non-name items, so that is where one can find individual differences.  

19 minutes ago, kimanjome said:

Okay, found the answer to this from my housekeeper.  She says all the stores are told by Coca-Cola, Sabritas, Truper, etc. at what price they must sell the products. 

I buy the EXACT same brand of product at a handful of differently located OXXO stores in our area. And the price of the product varies from OXXO to OXXO.

Quit trying to inflict rigid logic. That's my suggestion. 😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I´ll say your housekeeper doesn´t know what she´s talking about.

There are price control limits on certain staples but not on Coca Cola or any other refresco.   Walmart, Soriana, or any other chain or individually owned tienda, restaurant, puesto, or whatever can charge whatever they want.

Housekeepers are not always the best source of info for how sociedades anonimas run their business,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Too many people, everywhere, seem to believe whatever they have heard, or read, last. Then, with good intentions, they pass it on, and on and on.  When it comes full circle, those beliefs are reinforced and locked into their reality.  That repitition is crucial to building strong beliefs and the courage to defend them and spread them.  It is the very reason for going to clubs, churches, or other organization meetings on a regular basis; reinforcement of the creed!  Gullibility reigns!  Pass the KoolAid.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This was a saying composed by a well known Chapala personality many years ago describing certain denizens of local web boards and I add it to RVGRINGO's astute observation:

"naivete is a chronic disease and by its very nature, the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!!!"

• Haha 2

That  “well known Chapala personality” has to remain incognito (and forced to quote himself) because his well known “personality” keeps getting him tossed off boards and out of groups. 🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Xena said:

That  “well known Chapala personality” has to remain incognito (and forced to quote himself) because his well known “personality” keeps getting him tossed off boards and out of groups. 🤣

The vast majority of most small towns like this who frequent local boards  are members of groups who pat each other on the back for accomplishing nothing of note. Xena aka lady otter latte  and surly are not incognito? That's a good one an oversized caldron calling a kettle black. As near as I can tell the "well known Chapala personality"does really well in real time with real people of substance.

36 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

The vast majority of most small towns like this who frequent local boards  are members of groups who pat each other on the back for accomplishing nothing of note. Xena aka lady otter latte  and surly are not incognito? That's a good one an oversized caldron calling a kettle black. As near as I can tell the "well known Chapala personality"does really well in real time with real people of substance.

As I said, 🤣.

13 minutes ago, Xena said:

I love knowing that I still get under your skin by just being. 

Nobody on any of these boards has the skill or where with all to get under my skin. You may not be a light weight physically but  you are a light weight  intellectually . Xena indeed, it is to laugh your handle!

happyjillin

16 hours ago, kimanjome said:

Okay, found the answer to this from my housekeeper.  She says all the stores are told by Coca-Cola, Sabritas, Truper, etc. at what price they must sell the products.  Really unfair to the consumers, I think--and illegal in the US!  Can you say, "price fixing?" Not only that, she told me that her various friends, who own abbarotes, have told her that they make only 1 or 2 centavos on a bottle of Coke.

However, where the abbarotes  do make their profit is on non-named items, especially items like sugar, flour, beans, baking sode, dog food--anything the owner can buy in bulk and break down and repackage in generic plastic bags.  She said there is some profit on produce, bread,  etc. but it is not as great as on the bulk items.  She also mentioned that the abbarotes charge variable prices on the non-name items, so that is where one can find individual differences.  

There you go...just ask your housekeeper all of your questions for obviously she (he?) has the answers. Who woulda thunk?

• Haha 3