Chapala.com Webboard

bank minimum balance

• Info from december 2018

• Cuenta Libretón Bancomer: saldo mínimo de $4,000. Cobro si no mantienes el saldo mínimo: $185 + iva.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not to the OP's question but Multiva's minimum balance for their cash account below which a fee is assessed is $20,000 pesos. Multiva is still more an investment institution than a bank like Bancomer, HSBC or Santander so their minimum makes some sort of sense.

1) Rony, thanx for the update on that penalty.  It's more than I would want to pay, but I think it used to be even higher.  Good incentive for not going below the minimum!  

2) And, to bontepar's "Scotiabank charges 45 pesos no minimum", what are they charging 45 pesos for?

3) I have a Bancomer check'g acct, and they don't provide monthly statement hardcopies.  I asked the bank to review with me how to see the acct online, as I no longer could use that dumb little device with the codes, and I was told I had to basically buy a card or a token or something in order to access my acct, and I declined to play that game.  As I recall, it was about the equivalent of $25 USD in order to view my own statement and transactions!  Then the rep told me that they would send email updates of transactions, etc., but that was a crock of b.s.  So, does anyone have any info to help?

4) I may be getting a bit aggravated with Bancomer.  I remember years back, they used to bill themselves as having dedicated service for expats.  Now it seems there's no one there who speaks much English.  I do have a functional command of Spanish, but it's still difficult to communicate there anymore.l

37 minutes ago, Carolina said:

1) Rony, thanx for the update on that penalty.  It's more than I would want to pay, but I think it used to be even higher.  Good incentive for not going below the minimum!  

2) And, to bontepar's "Scotiabank charges 45 pesos no minimum", what are they charging 45 pesos for?

3) I have a Bancomer check'g acct, and they don't provide monthly statement hardcopies.  I asked the bank to review with me how to see the acct online, as I no longer could use that dumb little device with the codes, and I was told I had to basically buy a card or a token or something in order to access my acct, and I declined to play that game.  As I recall, it was about the equivalent of $25 USD in order to view my own statement and transactions!  Then the rep told me that they would send email updates of transactions, etc., but that was a crock of b.s.  So, does anyone have any info to help?

4) I may be getting a bit aggravated with Bancomer.  I remember years back, they used to bill themselves as having dedicated service for expats.  Now it seems there's no one there who speaks much English.  I do have a functional command of Spanish, but it's still difficult to communicate there anymore.l

There isn't anyone there who actually responds to emails or phone calls in any language! 

18 hours ago, Arroyos said:

I recently changed my Bancomer account to a basic account; the rep. told me I had a chequing account and that was why I had to keep the minimum 4000p balance.  There is no minimum required on a basic account.

Please let me know what the difference between the two are? I don't write cheques on the account but do deposit them at times. TIA 

Well, the bank representative told me I had a chequing account, although I was under the impression I had cancelled that some time ago and reverted back to a savings account.  Writing cheques in Mexico is very difficult as I had many rejected, so that is why I went back to a savings account.  What put me off was the 4000p minimum balance with no interest and when I mentioned this to the rep. he suggested just getting a basic account which has no minimum balance.  Since it was opened I have not deposited anything into it yet.  You had better ask at the bank about depositing cheques.  I never do that so do not have the answer.  Sorry.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2019 at 2:02 PM, Carolina said:

I have banked with Bancomer for about 20 years. With the changes in technology in recent years, all of my statements are available on my cell phone, using the Bancomer app.  I don't have or use "that dumb little device with the codes".  Bancomer sends me a notice immediately any time I make a purchase, if a bill is paid through my account, etc.  I look at my account every other day to make sure there's no problem with my account.  I actually prefer this kind of banking; it took me a while to get used to it, but it works like a charm.  Bancomer also asked me to download their "Wallet" app, which means that if I make on line purchases (for example, an ETN bus ticket bought on the ETN website), I use a digital account number that is different from my debit card number and which has its on security code.  Using Wallet, I am protected from online bank fraud.  

If I were you, I'd go back over to Bancomer and tell them you want to install both their regular app and the Wallet app on your cell phone and start using them.  Both of these things seemed burdensome and too new-fangled for me at first, but I have now happily come into the fold.  

The minimum balance on my Bancomer checking account is 4000 pesos.  It's a checking account, but I have never had or used checks.  

• Like 1

Banco Azteca only requires a one peso opening account. Has no balance minimums. Pays interest and has bill pay. Has all the phone apps for convenience and security. ATM's allowing 7,500 peso withdrawals from worldwide accounts for 20 pesos. And the kicker... they are everywhere and open 9 to 9 seven days a week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Banco Azteca only requires a one peso opening account. Has no balance minimums. Pays interest and has bill pay. Has all the phone apps for convenience and security. ATM's allowing 7,500 peso withdrawals from worldwide accounts for 20 pesos. And the kicker... they are everywhere and open 9 to 9 seven days a week.

Another vote for banco Azteca.  

Easy on line banking, no long waiting lines and a lot easier to speak to a bank representative too (manager, assistant manager)

I used to be with Bancomer.  What a hassle it has become: every other day they throw you out of their on line banking system, reps. give unreliable info, the endless lines (waiting),  etc ....  No more.

• Like 2

Just make sure you have activity on any account at least once a year.  We had an old Bancomer account that we had for years and made sure we had above the minimum for no service charge.  When we went in to close it we were informed the Government had confiscated the funds for no activity! 2 1/2 months later, after each writing an elaborate letter in Spanish, we were informed the Government had decided to return our funds. Gracias Adios! Step up to the window and the clerk will give you your funds in cash. 10- $1000 peso notes which are always easy to use everywhere in Mexico, LOL.

Was in Bancomer yesterday as my debit card had expired.  The customer service rep in the office at the back speaks perfect English -  lived in California till he was 15.  Was a delight to work with.   He checked what my minimum balance needed to be and printed a document that shows it is on average 7999.00 pesos.  Not sure why so high - maybe because we have checking and a Bancomer Visa.   He told me must have activity in the account once every three years. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Just make sure you have activity on any account at least once a year.  We had an old Bancomer account that we had for years and made sure we had above the minimum for no service charge.  When we went in to close it we were informed the Government had confiscated the funds for no activity! 2 1/2 months later, after each writing an elaborate letter in Spanish, we were informed the Government had decided to return our funds. Gracias Adios! Step up to the window and the clerk will give you your funds in cash. 10- $1000 peso notes which are always easy to use everywhere in Mexico, LOL.

it is "Gracias a Dios"- in the event the mistake was not one made by autocorrect.

On 5/23/2019 at 9:51 AM, chapalence said:

it is "Gracias a Dios"- in the event the mistake was not one made by autocorrect.

Sorry, should have been  Gracias, Adios!