Chapala.com Webboard

Chair Lift for stairs

Gringal, BarbiCheesecake on TOB got one installed from a place in Guadalajara. I can't place the name right now but I'll go and look. They have ALL kinds for curved stairs, straight stairs and those that turn corners like at your house.

Here ya go: https://www.movilidadsinlimites.com/index.php

And this is the specific product that you're looking for:https://www.movilidadsinlimites.com/salva_escaleras.php

Barbi was very happy with this company (at least she was at the time ;) ). These can be installed and uninstalled easily to move with you. I think it's important to deal with a company close by for easy servicing if necessary.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

Quality Care put in a stair chair for their cardiac rehab service which is located upstairs in their rehab office.  You could stop by QC and ask where Dr. Briseño purchased the chair.

Yes, I saw that one. I think Ferret's source will work.

• Like 1

Although I cannot recommend where to get one , I can recommend the one in Ferret's post:

https://www.movilidadsinlimites.com/salva_escaleras_elite_recto.php

We have it  (in Canada) for couple of years now and it works well. No service needed so far. It works even if electricity is out (battery is continuously charged when "parked").

I use it seldom for myself but it has a remote control so I can send my laundry or heavier items  up or down. Very useful for elders or people with limited mobility.

We have a straight stairwell so installation was done within an hour .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2019 at 10:55 AM, Ferret said:

Here ya go: https://www.movilidadsinlimites.com/index.php

And this is the specific product that you're looking for:https://www.movilidadsinlimites.com/salva_escaleras.php

Barbi was very happy with this company (at least she was at the time ;) ). These can be installed and uninstalled easily to move with you. I think it's important to deal with a company close by for easy servicing if necessary.

Gracias. I have made an appointment for a quote. Took a while but finally got an English speaker there.

• 2 weeks later...

They are actually the only game in this area and did the installation at Quality Care. Got my quote for just straight up without a curve. The rail for outdoors is more expensive.  $135,000 pesos. $95000 deposit and installation in 4 weeks. The whole unit comes from the US

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, happyjillin said:

They are actually the only game in this area and did the installation at Quality Care. Got my quote for just straight up without a curve. The rail for outdoors is more expensive.  $135,000 pesos. $95000 deposit and installation in 4 weeks. The whole unit comes from the US

Some things are just much more expensive in Mexico. Our cost in Canada for the same or very  similar unit was around $4000 Canadian(including  taxes). Which is in the ballpark of $58000 of Mexican pesos . That was couple of years ago. But, it is very practical unit for people with mobility problems (or asthma) so worth to install it.... if one makes it a priority.  In Canada  you can use it as medical expanse on the income tax form.

On 7/30/2019 at 1:33 PM, Islander said:

Some things are just much more expensive in Mexico. Our cost in Canada for the same or very  similar unit was around $4000 Canadian(including  taxes). Which is in the ballpark of $58000 of Mexican pesos . That was couple of years ago. But, it is very practical unit for people with mobility problems (or asthma) so worth to install it.... if one makes it a priority.  In Canada  you can use it as medical expanse on the income tax form.

My mother spent $10,000 in Toronto about 5 years ago. What you and she spent is totally irrelevant to us in Mexico. The supplier has to pay for the unit in US $'s and the Peso is not terrific right now. Mine is a bit more because it's outdoors. It's not made in Mexico and has to be imported from the US. In Mexico As a Canadian I can use it as a medical expense on my Canadian tax form. Even with your negative posts I am not unhappy with my purchase because I need it for the rest of my life unlike you using it for your laundry..

No need for defence HJ. Did not mean to be negative , just an observation and yes, It can be used in multiple ways for rest of our lives. More and more people installing stair lifts and elevators as they prefer to age at home. We used it  as expense in our income tax form. I do not think Americans can. I do believe that you pay more for everything in Toronto (and Vancouver) than in rest of the country.

All the best.

If anyone prefers to age at home, then they would best be served by buying a house that is either one level or, at the very least, has a master bedroom suite on the main level. No stairs and easy access is the name of the game... even with a wheelchair.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ferret said:

If anyone prefers to age at home, then they would best be served by buying a house that is either one level or, at the very least, has a master bedroom suite on the main level. No stairs and easy access is the name of the game... even with a wheelchair.

We have been in this home for many years and spent the last few months searching for a 1 story or lot we could build one on in el centro Chapala. Even hired Spencer to check on deeds for ownership. Then came to realize we like this place a lot and the chair will do the trick. We know what best serves us. I am not aging at home other than the usual  one does time wise. My disabilities have merely arrived sooner than expected in a rapid onset. Stairs are my main bane by far ,problem solved. People who have been involved in sports all their life  understand my attitude and how I use it for solutions.

For most people selling their house they enjoyed and loved  for decades is not a practical solution if stair lift or home elevator solves the problem. Moving houses is not an easy chore.

Gringal, these lifts are battery operated and charged when in "parking" position. So, power outage is not a problem.

My post wasn't directed at you jillin'. It was directed at those who are looking to buy a home here NOW. Your fix is just fine and I know that you've lived in that home for quite a while.

Sports injuries have long term consequences. My hubby played hockey, lacrosse, tennis, squash and skiied. He had his first hip replacement at age 50. Haven't lived in a two storey house since.

11 minutes ago, Islander said:

For most people selling their house they enjoyed and loved  for decades is not a practical solution if stair lift or home elevator solves the problem. Moving houses is not an easy chore.

Gringal, these lifts are battery operated and charged when in "parking" position. So, power outage is not a problem.

...something that dawned on me and why I deleted the post.😉

we had the same problem. My wife uses a wheel chair--actually, a "transporter" because someone has to push it. A ramp in the house was not possible because of space limitations. So we built a long ramp alongside the house and added a door at the back of the house , at the top of the ramp.Now it´s easy  to push her down the ramp to the car or the street and fairly easy to push her up the ramp and into the house. 

• Like 1

I live on a hill and my car parks one level below my house and two floors below the bedroom area. So I put in an elevator when I remodeled the house in 2007-8. So far although I am almost 80, I haven't had to use it. Knowing my bad luck, if I had not put it in, I would have needed one. My elevator is a rather simple structure and was not that costly.

• Like 1