Chapala.com Webboard

Scallions restaurant

Kyle

Had dinner there tonight.  The service was like a fine dining restaurant in the North.  The foor was excellent with nice presentation.  It will be first on our list for evening meals. I would venture to say they will become very popular for the evening diner.

I would like to say the same for their Sunday Morning brunch, where you can use most anything you want for a late breakfast. it was fantastic.

Everything was already cooked and sitting out front waiting for you to take what you want.

I'm in Seattle right now waiting for the cool rains in mid June so that I can come back and enjoy the great food offered in Ajijic-Chapala.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great dinner there earlier this week. Breakfast this morning came with fake Heinz catsup, Mex catsup in a Heinz container. No excuse for a nice restaurant to save a few pesos substituting bad catsup. 

• Like 3

I'd agree, except back home it's standard practice. So they are really being a "California" restaurant, lol.

Like the sign I noticed at Trip's Burgers today after going to see Aladdin: "Southern California Quality". Oh, yeah? Do tell...

• 1 month later...

Had dinner at Scallion's on Saturday night, after taking note of La Ceiba's ad in the Reporter... and arriving to find they were closed, along with Alex's and Forest Grille. Maybe they had power problems, because a: who would take an ad and then not open that same week, and b: how could three restaurants in the same strip all close up on a Saturday before 7 pm?

After an initial service stumble, I have to say the service and food was very very good. Beautifully presented. Both the veal and the pork dishes were overcooked, but the sauces made up for that faux pas. They have a standing item for mushroom soup, which was delicious and obviously made from blended mushrooms and a lot of cream. The soup of the day was unavailable, but the reason they gave was pretty entertaining.

The plating is a cut above most places around here. Mashed potatoes on both orders were hidden under the veg and were excellent, as were the choice and styling of various other vegetables that were served as part of the dish rather than as a "side".

It's not cheap, but not bad for what you get. Portions were quite large. We'll be going back. The wide selection of menu choices means we can go often.

I too want to say that Scallion's is doing a fantastic job.  If I had something to complain about, it would be that the servings are so large, and so good that  I eat too much. Now that's my fault, not Scallion's.  You might also try their Sunday buffet. It is excellent,