Chapala.com Webboard

Juice not nectar!

Willie

35 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

If you are a diabetic it is recommended you keep a regular coke or orange juice in your refrigerator.  If your blood sugar gets to low which is a dangerous condition, drinking orange juice will soon raise the sugar level to an acceptable level.  It acts like a shot of sugar.   

I was diagnosed with type 2, 14 years ago and never had the problem that you speak of and it's only 50 ft. to the abarrotes if I experience such a problem which I never have. I did say orange juice is loaded with sugar did I not. My monitor reading has never been below 5.00 and a non diabetic is 4.5.

I have been a type 2 for 25 years.  Currently blood level is 6.2 anything below 7 is considered controlled.  I have been below daily level of 60 and close to passing out.  I go to diabetic doctor every 3 months and was told to keep orange juice on hand when this happens.  If you have a level below 5 congratulations this is very good,  I got as high as 11.2 before bringing it under control.  With your blood level you may never have this problem.  The 5.0 and 6.2 I spoke of is usually a 3 month leveling, daily reading is considered good if it runs from 70 to 150 on the testing monitor. 

12 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I have been a type 2 for 25 years.  Currently blood level is 6.2 anything below 7 is considered controlled.  I have been below daily level of 60 and close to passing out.  I go to diabetic doctor every 3 months and was told to keep orange juice on hand when this happens.  If you have a level below 5 congratulations this is very good,  I got as high as 11.2 before bringing it under control.  With your blood level you may never have this problem.  The 5.0 and 6.2 I spoke of is usually a 3 month leveling, daily reading is considered good if it runs from 70 to 150 on the testing monitor. 

And now back to regular programming about the joys of fruit juices  not yours and my diabetes.

I usually look on the juice box to see if it says 100% jugo. Then I look at the label and see if it mentions added sugars. I wasn't paying attention when I bought Coco-Pina because I like coconut water mixed with juice. And it said jugo 100% natural. And when I looked at the ingredients sure enough: water, reconstituted juices and "Jumex azucars??". Lina is - no surprise - correct. But it still tastes good. And yes I could buy fresh coconut water at Tuesday Market and fresh pineapple juice by SuperLake. But I'd need to find something that fits in my rather crowded little fridge so Jumex it is.

Del Valle make a 100% juice from concentrate; just juice listed in the ingredients.  Similar to this box , but it's pricey $20+/ltr; We only use it when the oranges at the market are crap ie. little or no juice and the per kilo price is high.

image.png

The store bought orange juice or whatever other juice , regardless if it's labeled 100% natural or 100% pure or freshly squeezed and packed or not from concentrate, it doesn't taste like real.

The reasons are the juice producers have to take out the oxygen during the process and add orange flavors in the case of orange juice made of orange peels.

The flavor won't be listed on the juice box because it isn't required by the Mexican Federal Commission of Sanitary Risk Prevention — the regulating body in Mexico responsible for food safety. 

So nothing is better than the freshly squeezed orange juice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tiny said:

I have had some bad tasting fresh squeezed orange juices.

Me too, Tiny.  Citrus season--including lima, limón, mandarina, and naranja--in Mexico is at its peak during the winter months, oranges are best then.  Most oranges are grown in Veracruz.  Other seasons of the year, especially summer, oranges are sort of iffy.  You never know, during the off-season, if you'll get a pallid, flavorless, acidic glass of juice or a dry, juiceless orange to eat out of hand.  Fresh-squeezed orange juice doesn't keep well in the refrigerator, either.  It's best used the day it's squeezed.  Orange juice is definitely a sugar bomb; many nutritionists are suggesting that it's better to eat an orange, or not strain the pulp from your juice.  

On 5/18/2019 at 1:54 PM, johanson said:

Thank you for your great input on the Chapala Forum, More Liana. I remember I had the pleasure of meeting you when you lived lakeside. I am still learning better Spanish, but never will I speak it as well as you.

Thank you for your sweet words, Pete.  I hope we meet again, one of these days.  😊 

1 hour ago, More Liana said:

Orange juice is definitely a sugar bomb; many nutritionists are suggesting that it's better to eat an orange

I have also been told that (any fruit) by several medical personnel.  

On 5/18/2019 at 10:10 AM, AngusMactavish said:

Jumex website says:

Enjoy Jumex Unico Fresco, the delicious orange juice as only nature knows how to do: squeezed directly from oranges, carefully selected to obtain 100% natural juice, conserving its nutritional benefits and without adding anything, neither water nor sweeteners, nor preservatives .

Ingredients

Orange juice.

Thank you for this confirmation. Let 

On 5/18/2019 at 10:10 AM, AngusMactavish said:

Jumex website says:

Enjoy Jumex Unico Fresco, the delicious orange juice as only nature knows how to do: squeezed directly from oranges, carefully selected to obtain 100% natural juice, conserving its nutritional benefits and without adding anything, neither water nor sweeteners, nor preservatives .

Ingredients

Orange juice.

Thank you for the conformation:

The OP asked a simple question:

“Can anyone explain to me logically why we cannot find fruit juices in ANY of the stores...only nectars, which have added sugars?”

I responded with:

Walmart juice section near middle...Jumex Unico Fresco..."jugo 100% natural". I buy the grapefruit juice and the orange juice "con pulpa" (there is also sin pulpa) because of the natural fiber. 1 liter for I think 18 pesos”

Someone then responded that this is not 100% fruit juice as on the box label:

“Yes, Jumex blares what you posted..."Jumex Unico Fresco..."jugo 100% natural".  Notice that it doesn't say "100% jugo natural".  It's the "natural" that's 100%, not the juice.  The next question: what does "natural" mean?  NOTHING.  Advertising that's meant to fool people: there is no definition of "natural" as applied to food.  About 10 years ago I read an article that explained "natural", and it can range from flavors derived and blended chemically from a test tube to whatever the food labs dream up.

Juice drinks are required to tell you what percentage of actual fruit juice they are.  Look on the labels.  Most range around the 15% level.”

Here is the label posted by someone other than me. Pure fruit juice, vacuum paced by the largest juice conglomerate in Mexico…3 large glasses for 18 pesos and you can keep multiple containers in your refrigerator. Yes, you can buy “fresh” juice at roadside stands but how about fly’s, contamination and do you know how long it has been sitting at the Mercado?

I just returned from Walmart with a double normal supply just to support this great product. I do not have stock or am not involved in this corporation in any way…Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 8:53 PM, gringohombre said:

I am a little sophisticated  in this modern communications business so was able to sniff this out, but my concern is that others may stop consuming this perfectly good, high quality, healthy product because they read something on a well respected local web board. Just my OPINION.

Your opinion was boring.