Chapala.com Webboard

Juice not nectar!

Willie

The only place that I have found canned fruit that is not in syrup is at SuperLake and it ain't cheap. I like to have a couple of cans of Dole Pineapple in it's own juice with no added sugar added on hand just in case there's no fresh pineapple ready to eat.

The amount of sugar and unhealthily  sugared foods and beverages available for sale here is mind boggling... in the land of diabetics. It's heartbreaking.

• Like 1

Sorry, guess I didn't make myself clear...I am looking for fruit juice...100% juice.  Yes, I got a carton of 100% juice in WAl-Mart yesterday..brand is Sonrisa. I still think it's very strange that ALL the stores seem to be carrying all nectar based juices...very odd!

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Walmart juice section near middle...Jumex Unico Fresco..."jugo 100% natural". I buy the grapefruit juice and the orange juice "con pulpa" (there is also sin pulpa) because of the natural fiber. 1 liter for I think 18 pesos

Yes, Jumex blares what you posted..."Jumex Unico Fresco..."jugo 100% natural".  Notice that it doesn't say "100% jugo natural".  It's the "natural" that's 100%, not the juice.  The next question: what does "natural" mean?  NOTHING.  Advertising that's meant to fool people: there is no definition of "natural" as applied to food.  About 10 years ago I read an article that explained "natural", and it can range from flavors derived and blended chemically from a test tube to whatever the food labs dream up. 

Juice drinks are required to tell you what percentage of actual fruit juice they are.  Look on the labels.  Most range around the 15% level.

I've tried Jumex Unico Fresco and it didn't taste anything like fresh orange juice, recently squeezed from an orange.  It tasted like processed who-knows-what.

27 minutes ago, More Liana said:

I've tried Jumex Unico Fresco and it didn't taste anything like fresh orange juice, recently squeezed from an orange.  It tasted like processed who-knows-what.

It still tastes better than "nectar".

Willie, I remember accidentally buying the Jumex or "Valle" brand nectar products when I meant to by the juices. Easy to do since the packages are almost identical. Then I started looking more carefully before throwing it into the basket. It seemed like there was almost a seasonal thing to it, where the store would have an abundance of nectars and no juices. Then it would cycle through and the juices came back. I hate the nectar, too.

18 minutes ago, Travis said:

It still tastes better than "nectar".

Willie, I remember accidentally buying the Jumex or "Valle" brand nectar products when I meant to by the juices. Easy to do since the packages are almost identical. Then I started looking more carefully before throwing it into the basket. It seemed like there was almost a seasonal thing to it, where the store would have an abundance of nectars and no juices. Then it would cycle through and the juices came back. I hate the nectar, too.

When you say "juices" are you talking about those whose 1st ingredient listed says "100%  juice", or something else? My understanding is that if those exact words are not used, then it is simply colored water and sugar.

There has been a couple in a white pickup on the corner across from La Paz. He was squeezing fresh pineapple into juice, and she was passing out samples. Nothing added. Don't know if they are still there. Maybe they didn't get enough business.

The food processors need the flexibility to add sweeteners because they don,t have the ability to accept just ripe, or over ripe fruits. They mostly buy unripe or ripening varieties. Try mixing the too sweet jugos with sparkling seltzer water and ice.

I think fresh juices are more likely sold by street vendors, commonly to morning workers.

2 hours ago, ladner said:

There has been a couple in a white pickup on the corner across from La Paz. He was squeezing fresh pineapple into juice, and she was passing out samples. Nothing added. Don't know if they are still there. Maybe they didn't get enough business.

They changed corners but left a note on a pole at the first location, giving their new one.  I know it is nearby but cannot be precise.

11 hours ago, More Liana said:

Yes, Jumex blares what you posted..."Jumex Unico Fresco..."jugo 100% natural".  Notice that it doesn't say "100% jugo natural".  It's the "natural" that's 100%, not the juice.  The next question: what does "natural" mean?  NOTHING.  Advertising that's meant to fool people: there is no definition of "natural" as applied to food.  About 10 years ago I read an article that explained "natural", and it can range from flavors derived and blended chemically from a test tube to whatever the food labs dream up. 

Juice drinks are required to tell you what percentage of actual fruit juice they are.  Look on the labels.  Most range around the 15% level.

Addressing your response to my post, lets look at your first concern about the claim on the container that you contest"Jumex Unico Fresco..."jugo 100% natural".  Notice that it doesn't say "100% jugo natural"...and it goes on from there. Obviously you do not understand this since all the copy on the carton is in Spanish: JUGO 100% NATURAL in Spanish translates to English as 100% NATURAL JUICE, so your whole statement after that goes out the window.

I don't intend to belittle you here, but would like to get FACTS, not opinions on this topic since I consider my health very important and have bought and consumed this product for years. I have a carton of Jumex grapefruit juice right in front of me and on one side it posts Ingredients: JUGO DE TORONJA...nothing else. On another panel in Spanish is a statement that I typed out and sent through Google Translate with this result:

Spanish text: Disfruta de Jumex, el delicioso jugo de Toronja como solo naturaleza lo sabe hacer: Exprimido directamente de Toronjas, cuidadosamente seleccionadas para obtener jugo 100% natural, conservando sus beneficios y sin anadir absolutamente nada, ni agua, ni endulzantes, ni conservadores. Jugo 100% natural

English translation: Enjoy Jumex, the delicious Grapefruit juice as only nature knows how to make: Squeezed directly from Grapefruit, carefully selected to obtain 100% natural juice, conserving its benefits and without adding anything, neither water, nor sweeteners, nor preservatives. 100% natural juice.

I also googled Jumex and found out that is the largest juice company in Mexico. It would be hard for me to believe, even here in Mexico, that such an important company could plaster their product cartons with blatant LIES. This looks like juice, tastes like juice and until someone can PROVE differently I will continue to drink it believing that it is 100% natural juice.

I have noticed that some people on this board post OPINION as FACT...this is not beneficial to anyone. Just my OPINION.

I am a little sophisticated  in this modern communications business so was able to sniff this out, but my concern is that others may stop consuming this perfectly good, high quality, healthy product because they read something on a well respected local web board. Just my OPINION.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I find it  interesting that nether here or NOB is that there are not any warnings on the grapefruit juice cartons concerning the drinking of grapefruit juice and taking certain heart medicine.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/grapefruit-juice-and-some-drugs-dont-mix

https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/grapefruit-juice-and-medication

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/medicines/does-grapefruit-affect-my-medicine/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Hey, Gringohombre... More Liana has probably forgotten more about Mexico, its people and culture in the last week than you will ever know should you live to be one hundred-years-old.

But, you're new in this country so it's understandable.

Opinion, or not, don't try to upstage her... you'll only end up looking foolish.

Por favor, please check out the FACTS before you spout off. I have been travelling and doing business in México for almost 25 years. I moved here full time in April 2008 and joined this board in October of that same year. You joined this board in July 2018. More Liana joined this board in May 2008 and I respect most of her posts, but I think that I have pointed out that she is wrong on this one. Maybe she can respond, but in any case it is not that important, although I will still be buying and enjoying this 100% Natural Juice. Welcome to the board!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/17/2019 at 10:02 PM, gringohombre said:

Por favor, please check out the FACTS before you spout off. I have been travelling and doing business in México for almost 25 years. I moved here full time in April 2008 and joined this board in October of that same year. You joined this board in July 2018. More Liana joined this board in May 2008 and I respect most of her posts, but I think that I have pointed out that she is wrong on this one. Maybe she can respond, but in any case it is not that important, although I will still be buying and enjoying this 100% Natural Juice. Welcome to the board!

I have been a member of this board, under a different web name, since the board was founded.  In the fall of 2008, a glitch in the Chapala.com system caused me to be unable to read or (ahem) spout off to the web boards, and I was told to create a new account here, under a different name, if I wanted to be able to fully enter the site.  You joined the board in 2008?  You wouldn't have a way to know that history, and it's unlikely that Chapala.com has any record of that. 

I came to live in Mexico in 1981, and worked as a social worker in the Tijuana city jail, AKA "La Ocho".  You've been here full time for 11 years?  That's a good start. 

"Jumex Unico Fresco..."jugo 100% natural".  Notice that it doesn't say "100% jugo natural"..  I stand by what I said: this advertising statement is very carefully worded to mean what the customer wants it to mean.  Everybody wants to drink 100% orange juice, but that's what you get when you squeeze an orange, not what you get when you open a box of factory-processed juice.  Advertising is tricky and often misleading, whether in English or Spanish.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Jumex website says:

Enjoy Jumex Unico Fresco, the delicious orange juice as only nature knows how to do: squeezed directly from oranges, carefully selected to obtain 100% natural juice, conserving its nutritional benefits and without adding anything, neither water nor sweeteners, nor preservatives .

Ingredients

Orange juice.

• Like 1

Thank you for your great input on the Chapala Forum, More Liana. I remember I had the pleasure of meeting you when you lived lakeside. I am still learning better Spanish, but never will I speak it as well as you.

Common sense required. It's fine to wax poetic about the joys and wonders of natural juice especially freshly squeezed as you watch BUT what's natural to fruit are fructose,sucrose and glucose and when you get a beautiful refreshing glass of ,for example,orange juice there is more than one orange used and whether you like it or not there is more of those three ingredients in that glass than if you ate one orange. That's all well and good for a lot of people but not for us DIABETICS. My blood sugar reading shoots through the roof with just a third of a glass of freshly squeezed,darn it. I have discovered a couple of fruit sports drinks ,no sugars, at Soriana BUT unfortunately being sports drinks they are loaded with salt so for my other medical issues,that's bad for me too but not as bad as fresh natural juice.

• Thanks 1

If you are a diabetic it is recommended you keep a regular coke or orange juice in your refrigerator.  If your blood sugar gets to low which is a dangerous condition, drinking orange juice will soon raise the sugar level to an acceptable level.  It acts like a shot of sugar.   

• Sad 1