Chapala.com Webboard

DOOR fabric craft "snakes" wanted

I am looking for Door Snakes, fabric tubes with sand (?) inside that look like a snake used to keep door bottoms from letting critters and cold air in as I (like many!) do not have perfectly sealed doors when closed. I saw a few a while back in a resale shop but they were in a jungle print (ick!)  These are usually made by craft people here. If anyone knows where they have some please let me know. Due to my tile at my doors there are gaps and bugs come in. Of course I want them for winter. Thank you!  PS- do NOT have a car!

18 minutes ago, Joyinmexico said:

PS- do NOT have a car!

Take a bus or taxi to the corner of Pepe Guizar and Venustiano Carranza in Chapala (near Oxxo). Next door to the Floreria is a Bazar, no sign just clothes hanging out front and open after 11 or 12. Take your fabric and filler along with a photo and measurements of what you want. She's fast and cheap and can make them for you. The fabric store is kitty-corner from the back of the Central Bus Station.

Another good option would be to take a picture and description to Tepehua Treasures consignment shop (Hidalgo #98 in Riberas, also on the bus line) so the sewing class ladies could make them to sell in the shop. I had them NOB for drafts, but would buy one for critters if they were available.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Joyinmexico said:

I am looking for Door Snakes, fabric tubes with sand (?) inside that look like a snake used to keep door bottoms from letting critters and cold air in as I (like many!) do not have perfectly sealed doors when closed. I saw a few a while back in a resale shop but they were in a jungle print (ick!)  These are usually made by craft people here. If anyone knows where they have some please let me know. Due to my tile at my doors there are gaps and bugs come in. Of course I want them for winter. Thank you!  PS- do NOT have a car!

Instead of messing around, running around, and waiting around, I just ordered one and the estimated delivery date is tomorrow.

Thanks Joyinmexico  for posting this topic.  I keep forgetting to get one.

Here's a way to make a fairly simple one yourself, if you have any sewing skills at all. Get a pool noodle, cut it into 2 pieces the width of your door. Get an old pillowcase. Slip one of the pool noodle pieces into the pilow case. Sew the pillowcase together by hand the length of the noodle so the pool noodle can't slip around, but you can still pull it out once in awhile to wash the pillowcase. (the sewing doesn't have to be anything perfect, just has to form a pocket for the noodle piece) Slip the rest of the pillowcase under the door, pull it until the noodle part is tight up against the door. Mark the pillowcase where it comes out the other side of the door. Remove the whole thing, sew along the marked line. Slip the second noodle in and sew up the case the way you did for the first one and cut off the excess, if there is any.

So what you end up with is a door stopper that looks just like the one Tiny posted the link to.

• Like 1

Go to one of the chiapas stand at the tianguis on wednesday and tell one of the bosses you want a snake , give them the measurement... They are from Chamula and in Chamula the people make animalitos  with wool.. they also make wool snakes.. I have a bunch of them from 1 m. to 1.50 to 2m..  They can order them from their supplier. Actually I do not understand why they do not have any all year long.

The advantage with the ones that slip under the door and cover both sides is that they move with the door, rather than having to be repositioned every time you open and close the door.

And the single snakes work really well on windowsills where water tends to leak in during the rainy season.

An alternative to snakes could be what my son found in one of the Truper stores. They look like giant windshield wipers, metal tops with soft rubber bottoms, that you screw into the bottom of the door. They are permanent and can be cut to size.

11 hours ago, desafinada said:

Yoou can also fill them with rice instead of sand.  Less likely to seep out of the seams.

Problem with that is that if they get wet, the rice will swell up and rot, unless the covers are waterproof. If using sand, the fabric has to be a very tight weave so the sand doesn't filter through and the seam stitching really close together.

You are still talking about this.  LOL

In the last 27 hours I have ordered, received order and installed a double sided guard.  The fabric is nylon and the interior material are foam tubes.

IMG_20190517_151005.thumb.jpg.f75354086a164dae627d98d8e0034ee7.jpgIMG_20190517_151027.thumb.jpg.cfb70752f2b722381967d38078bb559d.jpg

Check that off my to do list.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bmh said:

that works but some of us like artisanal work with some style rather than non descript guards

Ok, I will paint some flowers on my guard. LOL 

Can you please either post or pm me some pic's of the artisanal work of guards you have?  I would like to see some examples.