Chapala.com Webboard

BOBBY'S LA TERRAZZA

gringal

It's been nearly a year since Bobby opened at the new location.  I wasn't overly fond of the initial offerings (Nuevo Mexican cuisine), but after going to dinner there yesterday, I have to praise him for returning to an eclectic menu prepared by a fine chef.  My spouse ordered the pork loin; I selected the prawns stuffed with crabmeat.

First, we were served a basket of hot cornbread pieces.  Then, a plate of starters which included salmon mousse, guacamole and liverwurst. Next, a multi-mushoom home made soup (choice of that or crab bisque).  The main courses were perfectly prepared and delicious. The prawns were large and the pork was lean. Finally, a dessert of vanilla ice cream with a side topping of butterscotch "something".   We couldn't have been more satisfied. The prices? $225 for the pork; $250 for the prawns.

If you haven't been to Bobby's lately......give yourself a treat and go!  Open Wednesday-Sunday for lunch and dinner. Opens at 1:00 pm

I'm looking at the extras: hot cornbread; starters with mousse, etc; soup or bisque. Then ice cream, too? Add all that up and it looks better. On the other hand, I think Yves' prices are high, but he does include a one-plate salad bar (guards it well), which would add maybe 55p to the dinner price if separate. And you get a shot of something after each meal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Sounds a little pricey for pork loin

It's not like it's for the pork loin entree alone:  it's for a multi-course meal, including starters, soup, the entree and dessert.  Where else can you get that extensive a meal for that kind of money?  My prawns entree dinner was only $250.  Where are they serving anything like that for that price?  

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I'm looking at the extras: hot cornbread; starters with mousse, etc; soup or bisque. Then ice cream, too? Add all that up and it looks better. On the other hand, I think Yves' prices are high, but he does include a one-plate salad bar (guards it well), which would add maybe 55p to the dinner price if separate. And you get a shot of something after each meal.

The salad bar is priced separately, at least on the lunch menu.  Had lunch there today.  There are only two items on that menu which include the salad bar.  The salad bar itself is priced at over 100 pesos. The shot of "something" is tiny, and mostly ice.  Nice touch, but not worth much.

• Like 1

What if I Don't want appie, soup and dessert?  Getting extra that you would not have ordered in the first place does not make it a good price.  Just charge me for my entree and if I want applies, soup and dessert charge me per item

• Like 6

Ah, in that case, lesson learned, and moving right along. One of the benefits of having this section for restaurant reviews just hit us in the face: you read it here before you went and got PO'd yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

What if I Don't want appie, soup and dessert?  Getting extra that you would not have ordered in the first place does not make it a good price.  Just charge me for my entree and if I want applies, soup and dessert charge me per item

Oh golly, maybe you go somewhere else? No one wants to charge you for unwanted applies.

• Haha 1

Good point made that you can look here first and decide where, what and how much.  I enjoy a variety of  tastes rather than, for instance, a big steak.

One person's good value is another person's ripoff.  One poster here praises a minimalist restaurant with few seats whose menu shows a chicken sandwich for $110 pesos.  If the place had comfortable chairs and a salad bar included, it might be a good value.  In the same strip, El Ancla offers the best Chicken Cordon Bleu I've ever had for $125 pesos, freshly prepared and served in a very comfortable setting.  The portion is so large that I take half home for supper.  This site saves a lot of disappointments!😉

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kyle said:

You may suggest to the owner that he may want to offer a full meal and main course only choice.

Edited by Tiny

I'll guess that the owner of La Terraza, who has been in the business for decades, has made the decision on how he wants his food offerings presented.  I suggest that when a person just wants an entree, he goes to a restaurant that presents that option on their current menu.  Janelle's does this, as do many other local restaurants.  In other words "why swim against the stream"?

• Like 1

Agreed. It's the owner's choice, 100%. We all value creativity and uniqueness in our eateries, so suggesting that an owner change his main concepts seems kinda pointless. Unless you also feel that the restaurant will fail otherwise. There is a fine line here somewhere. It's different than telling, say, the owner of Scallions that his eggs benny could use some real improvement.

• Sad 2

30 minutes ago, gringal said:

I'll guess that the owner of La Terraza, who has been in the business for decades, has made the decision on how he wants his food offerings presented

10 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Agreed. It's the owner's choice, 100%.

Maybe not listening to customers or the owner/cook thinking they know all, just because they worked for a few years, is part of the reason why restaurants all over keep opening and closing.

When a owner/cook opens a restaurant they are guessing what the customer wants. If they don't listen to customers, it may be a short experience.

Excuse me for making a comment.

40 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Agreed. It's the owner's choice, 100%. We all value creativity and uniqueness in our eateries, so suggesting that an owner change his main concepts seems kinda pointless. Unless you also feel that the restaurant will fail otherwise. There is a fine line here somewhere. It's different than telling, say, the owner of Scallions that his eggs benny could use some real improvement.

Why would a successful businessman not listen to and gain a few or more potential new customers?

If someone is in the service business: It is never about the business owner, it should be all about the customers.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Lily H said:

Why would a successful businessman not listen to and gain a few or more potential new customers?

If someone is in the service business: It is never about the business owner, it should be all about the customers.

Successful business people do listen to their customers. But every customer has a different opinion of what the owner should be doing differently. You can't please all of the people all of the time. There are so many choices of where to eat, why not choose the ones that work for you?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lily H said:

You misunderstand me. I said: "suggesting that an owner change his main concepts seems kinda pointless."

And seriously, if it was all about the customers here, we would have a LOT more and better restaurants.

"Maybe not listening to customers or the owner/cook thinking they know all, just because they worked for a few years, is part of the reason why restaurants all over keep opening and closing. "(Tiny)

In the case of Bobby Snyder, he's been in the restaurant business all his life...and that's many decades. ( Assumptions are often a bad idea.)

Most restaurant closings are not due to failure to respond to customers.  They are more often due to being inexperienced in the business and/or not having enough capital to make it through the slow times.  Badly prepared or overpriced food is of course, a big reason.

Sometimes, customer feedback about what's wrong gets through to the owner loud an clearly enough that he/she turns it around before all the customers cross it off the list of places to go.  This has apparently happened at the place which started out as "Spago's" and reopened as Scallions.  Feedback tells me that instead of the terrible breakfast some of us had in the beginning, they have it right now. 

59 minutes ago, gringal said:

"Maybe not listening to customers or the owner/cook thinking they know all, just because they worked for a few years, is part of the reason why restaurants all over keep opening and closing. "(Tiny)

In the case of Bobby Snyder, he's been in the restaurant business all his life...and that's many decades. ( Assumptions are often a bad idea.)

Most restaurant closings are not due to failure to respond to customers.  They are more often due to being inexperienced in the business and/or not having enough capital to make it through the slow times.  Badly prepared or overpriced food is of course, a big reason.

Sometimes, customer feedback about what's wrong gets through to the owner loud an clearly enough that he/she turns it around before all the customers cross it off the list of places to go.  This has apparently happened at the place which started out as "Spago's" and reopened as Scallions.  Feedback tells me that instead of the terrible breakfast some of us had in the beginning, they have it right now. 

Are you saying that a owner with a certain number of years working don't have to listen to the customers and at the same time saying that the owner should listen to the customer's feedback. Which is it? 

Concerning work experience, is it forty years of experience or one year of experience forty times over?

• Sad 1

Tiny, your word twists are ludicrous, especially the last sentence.

I think I was clear enough.  Spago's was starting out badly and they must have heard enough negative feedback to "get" that they wouldn't be in business long at that rate.  "Listening to customers" should be about the food and/or the service, not the chosen method of doing business.

IMO,  it's enough that a restaurant owner has been successful enough over many years that he need not pay  attention to customers who want his method of operation done differently.  In the case of Bobby's, we have a poster who doesn't like the idea of presenting a  multi-course dinner and just wants a choice of entrees.  Do you seriously think that the owner should change his menu to suit that person?  That person has a choice of many other places to go that do things his way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gringal said:

In the case of Bobby's, we have a poster who doesn't like the idea of presenting a  multi-course dinner and just wants a choice of entrees.  Do you seriously think that the owner should change his menu to suit that person?

But if many would like to have a choice, shouldn't the owner consider it?  Today, one comment. Tomorrow, maybe many.

Is there other posters that would like to have a choice?

• Sad 2