Chapala.com Webboard
DeborahM

Seeking advice from tech savvy folks here!

It is a real thing, but it is simply a cheap "repeater" or "extender". They make outrageous claims. No device can improve your Internet speed. All this will do is possibly extend the distance from your modem. There are crappy ones here at TelMex that are better. This thing has been making the rounds this past week.

Totally agree with cg. But make sure your device is connected to the extender as well. Many times you are still connected to your modem. Follow the instructions with the extender.  Nothing increases the speed,  these things just might help with signal strength if you modem is more than about 4mtr away from your device.

Mike, can you recommend a better modem to buy? I'm travelling to Canada this week...would love to get something while I'm there.

Only TelMex modems work with TelMex Internet. Unless you are super-network savvy. My son is an expert and it took him two full days to get a third-party modem working with the TelMex signal. And of course when the modem had to be reset, the work had to be done all over again.

What you perhaps mean is a "router", which can be connected to the TelMex modem in various ways. But I must tell you, the TelMex modems have the best standard WiFi signal strength of any I've ever seen.

To get a better signal farther away, you'll want a router that is labelled specifically extender or repeater. Or, a very, very expensive multi-antenna router. $300 bucks or more. But if you're going to spend that much, might as well invest in Google Mesh to really get wide coverage.

But as discussed, no modem or router or extender or mesh or anything is going to improve your TelMex speed. These devices are simply for extending your WiFi signal. Meantime you can call TelMex and see if they offer better speeds in your area. 01-800-123-2222, and ask for English.

• Thanks 1

To add on to the above advise it is difficult to make recommendations blindly. Some of the recommendations are based on the house layout, construction materials and the placement of modem. For example: The modem is in the front of the second level and your main wi-fi use is in the back area of the first level with a lot of concrete/brick walls and floor for the signal to go through.