Chapala.com Webboard

My dog bites me when I want to take off his leash. I rescued Bobby the dachshund from the streets in Guadalajara about 10 years ago. He must be about 13 or 14 now. I have always given him a loving home with other dogs, but suddenly a couple of months ago he started snapping at my hand when I wanted to take off his leash. My vet says strange behavior is normal in old dogs.

I would love to take him out again, but am afraid of getting bitten when trying to take off his leash.

Does anyone know of a quick release leash that I could operate from a distance? In other words, I can't get my hand close to his snout when trying to remove the leash from his collar. He lets me put it on.

Thanks in advance, Kim 

Gosh, I have had dachshunds around me since I was a little kid. And I have never experienced that or even heard of it. You too, know a lot about dogs, if I remember correctly.   I sure hope someone has a suggested solution. That is really strange.

Don't think a harness would work. He could still reach around and get me. And I couldn't leave the harness on all the time. The last couple of times I had a leash on, my Mexican cleaning lady was able to remove it. She has known him for ten years.

He doesn't bite anybody else. But now that I think of it, there was one other occasion when he snapped at me. That was when I lifted him into the car and discovered that he has a hernia on his stomach. The vet said it doesn't cause pain but "makes him feel weird" when someone touches it. He also advised against operating. 

We have a dog that wll not let me touch his back.. My husband can do it but he will growl at me  and I believe would bite me if I persisted.. With him I think it is a dominance thing although he is pretty subservient, except on this point.. He is a xolo and they can be pretty weird.. so who knows,

I agree with the 2nd opinion opinion. Doxies frequently have back issues and you could be doing something by accident that hurts. It could be that the maid does something slightly different that doesn't hurt. If the Vet doesn't find anything wrong (and have him or her watch as you remove the leash) you might try a slip leash like they use at dog shows. When you come back from the walk, leave the leash on for 15+ minutes. Then rub the dog's ears and gently loosen the leash and slide the leash off.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/remington-nylon-rope-slip-leash-in-green#customerReviews

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We sometimes got guests from another BnB in Ajijic that had 2 of those dogs. The owners would tell the guests not to mess with the dogs. On several occasions, they came looking for a room with the same story: I didn't go anywhere near those dogs but they found me and bit me! The owner's response was "Don't bother the dogs". Many years ago when I was a Letter Carrier, I had customers tell me, Oh he won't bite.  My response was He may not bite YOU but...  I was bitten several times and always by a little yap dog, never a "real" dog. The real dogs would attack the mail as I put it through the front door mail slot, yanking my hand and knuckles into the slot causing mucho pain. The old timers showed me how to insert the mail packet just a short ways, yank the back end over to one side and then the dog had no chance of pulling it out of your hand. All they could do was chew and ruin the letters being delivered. They advised me the best time to do this was when delivering a refund check from the IRS, etc. On more than one occasion I could hear the owner berating the dog. But I never had heard the owner apologize to me when they must have heard my yelp of pain before I learned the trick. Many moons ago.