Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
ezpz

BAN ON PLASTIC BAGS FROM SHOPS AND TAKE OUT FOOD JOINTS

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, ezpz said:

Few Mexicans or gringos in less expensive housing have the fancy water systems that allow for flushing toilet paper.

Yes, many older homes are built with sewage systems that will get clogged with toilet paper. But I can flush toilet paper at my house, as I have a private septic system, and I can assure you there is nothing "fancy" about it. Unless you call using proper size pipe "fancy". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My architect/builder put in large sewer pipes in the house which connects to an even larger sewer pipe in the street. He told me that because the sewer lines were so large (by local standards) that I could flush the toilet paper down the drain.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived in Turkey, where it is called Uz Numerası, 100, which is a corruption of 'loo', unless loo is a corruption of the Turkish toilet's name.  I suspect the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little off topic but if you are building insist on Schedule 40 plastic pipe for all drains.  Do not let them use thin wall.  The difference in cost is minimal.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, many older homes are built with sewage systems that will get clogged with toilet paper. But I can flush toilet paper at my house, as I have a private septic system, and I can assure you there is nothing "fancy" about it. Unless you call using proper size pipe "fancy". 

Flushing paper has little to do with the pipe size and more to do with the fact that it is a cistern and not a sewer or septic tank. The paper fibers tend to seal the lower half the tank where the openings are on the sides and bottom and eventually they liquid can't seep into the soil. Folks that flush paper in such a system just have to have them pumped out when they fill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, geeser said:

Flushing paper has little to do with the pipe size and more to do with the fact that it is a cistern and not a sewer or septic tank. The paper fibers tend to seal the lower half the tank where the openings are on the sides and bottom and eventually they liquid can't seep into the soil. Folks that flush paper in such a system just have to have them pumped out when they fill.

My system goes first into a pre-digester tank, then into the septic tank, which is just a blocked box with an earth floor with small spaces between the blocks. Nothing fancy or particularly expensive about it. Never had to get it pumped out since it was built 11 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the early 1970's many RVs had toilet waste incinerators, where the heat of the exhaust was used to burn the waste. How about that commuters!?!? Vehicles with a built in toilet seat in the driver's seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

My system goes first into a pre-digester tank, then into the septic tank, which is just a blocked box with an earth floor with small spaces between the blocks. Nothing fancy or particularly expensive about it. Never had to get it pumped out since it was built 11 years ago.

Right, that is a cistern not a septic tank. Those alternating open bricks are the holes that can get clogged, The bottom is also open on these cisterns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, geeser said:

Right, that is a cistern not a septic tank. Those alternating open bricks are the holes that can get clogged, The bottom is also open on these cisterns.

They don't get clogged because I have a pre-digester tank before it. Paper and solids break down in there, all that flows into the cistern is liquid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 2:21 PM, ezpz said:

The new GR states that local businesses have until July to use up their stashes of disposable plastics because they soon will be banned from use.  While I heartily support environmental measures including reducing use of disposable plastics, I have the following questions:

 

I do think there will be some entertainment watching us oldies come out of the Tienda juggling a kilo of eggs without the bag.  Most of us use the bags from the stores to put into small dust bins in the baths. The other day my spouse bought the lamond pastries from Panchos. They came in a kraft paper bag and sh laid them on the back seat. Latter I asked about a spot of oil on the upholstery and the seepage through the bag was all she could recall being possible. This is going to be a funny mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Thanks for your suggestions on how to be creative (and retro!) in this new plastic-less day.  I`m learning a lot. We`re all going to have to find solutions, our lives will be better when we do and this is a great way to do it.  So, keep 'em coming!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 9:39 AM, geeser said:

I do think there will be some entertainment watching us oldies come out of the Tienda juggling a kilo of eggs without the bag.  

We get our eggs in the cardboard egg flats. We can get either half or whole flat. 

images.jpeg.bf609e0d30f157585ce179e89c4a04ab.jpeg

They place a flat on top and bottom then tie them together. Then we return the flats to be reused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tiny said:

We get our eggs in the cardboard egg flats. We can get either half or whole flat. 

images.jpeg.bf609e0d30f157585ce179e89c4a04ab.jpeg

They place a flat on top and bottom then tie them together. Then we return the flats to be reused.

Tiny the Tienda here has them tied up in 1 and 0,5 kilo plastic bag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geeser said:

Tiny the Tienda here has them tied up in 1 and 0,5 kilo plastic bag. 

And what is Teinda going to use when they stop using plastic bags? The topic is plastic bag ban.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:46 AM, Mainecoons said:

A little off topic but if you are building insist on Schedule 40 plastic pipe for all drains.  Do not let them use thin wall.  The difference in cost is minimal.

 

or schedule 80 if available here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe special "shopping suits" with numerous pockets, etc., to hold a week's worth of groceries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dog poo can also be thrown into a compost heap if that is an option. There are not a lot of composting worms available locally yet but I kept a worm bin in my kitchen for years. I put all my scraps excluding meat into it and they were turned into vermicompost. For the brave you could try  a worm bin dog poo digester; a layer of shredded paper/cardboard, peat moss, sawdust or shredded straw/corn husk and bury the poo in there; just keep covering the poo with the bedding. [I was going to try this but my dog buries her poo].

It is probably not culturally doable here but vermicomposting stations placed strategically for dog walkers would be brilliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

"shopping suits"

Including a vest with large pockets.  You only need the vest when you only have a few items.  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now we`re cooking!   So many possibilities for new products in the new no-plastic-bag world! Love the shipping suit!

timjwilson, composting worms can be had at the Tuesday market from Anna Luz (don`t remember her company name) and Juan Diego at Galo Goat Farm.  I think a well-labeled vermicomposting bucket on the malecon is doable!  Just tell the malecon gardeners what you`re doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bdmowers said:

Now we`re cooking!   So many possibilities for new products in the new no-plastic-bag world! Love the shipping suit!

timjwilson, composting worms can be had at the Tuesday market from Anna Luz (don`t remember her company name) and Juan Diego at Galo Goat Farm.  I think a well-labeled vermicomposting bucket on the malecon is doable!  Just tell the malecon gardeners what you`re doing.

Yes, thanks. I've already bought worms from both. Juan Diego is a good friend. Neither of them have large quantities available. I'm presently trying to boost my population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, timjwilson said:

Yes, thanks. I've already bought worms from both. Juan Diego is a good friend. Neither of them have large quantities available. I'm presently trying to boost my population.

Good luck on your worm and mulch venture.

Have you contacted the worm people in Guad and environs (they`re on the internet under "lombriz roja californiana")? One is "Lombricultura Guadalajara" in Zapopan.

Also, reportedly and confirmed by the woman in the plaza tienda in Tlachichilco, there is a worm farm a kilometer or so outside of Tlachichilco on 16th de Septiembre (the main road in Tlachichilco).  The road becomes nearly impassable a half a klick out except to 4-wheel drives.   Haven`t made it past the rough spot yet in our van.

GPS: 20.335515, -103.078470

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bdmowers said:

Good luck on your worm and mulch venture.

Have you contacted the worm people in Guad and environs (they`re on the internet under "lombriz roja californiana")? One is "Lombricultura Guadalajara" in Zapopan.

Also, reportedly and confirmed by the woman in the plaza tienda in Tlachichilco, there is a worm farm a kilometer or so outside of Tlachichilco on 16th de Septiembre (the main road in Tlachichilco).  The road becomes nearly impassable a half a klick out except to 4-wheel drives.   Haven`t made it past the rough spot yet in our van.

GPS: 20.335515, -103.078470

Thanks for that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Gypsy ladies in Europe have it figured out. They wear a fake, third trimester prosthesis in the front and slip in all the goods. Solves plastic problem and free groceries.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope this does not mean garbage bags. Our trash is...well adult diapers. I can just see the dogs scattering these all over the area. Not a good way to save the planet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...