Chapala.com Webboard

BAN ON PLASTIC BAGS FROM SHOPS AND TAKE OUT FOOD JOINTS

The new GR states that local businesses have until July to use up their stashes of disposable plastics because they soon will be banned from use.  While I heartily support environmental measures including reducing use of disposable plastics, I have the following questions:

How are we supposed to collect and dispose of used toilet tissue without these bags?  This is necessary in most of MX and most people re-use plastic bags for this purpose.  Same goes for organic waste saved for recycling.  There would be quite a risk of household contamination without being able to seal the containers used for such purposed.  Even if you used solid waste baskets, at some point you have to put this stuff in the street for pickup.  What are we supposed to use for this purpose?  Think of the garbage workers who have to handle this stuff!  I tried leaving my glass/plastic/metal recycling in a plastic bucket outside my house but the container got stolen twice, so now I have to carry it to the local drop-off points.

I frequently buy roast chicken and have wondered what kind of container to bring to put  a very hot roast chicken in.  The typical hard plastic containers wouldn't work.  I've already asked the help to not use the styrofoam, only the plastic bags, but without those, what?  These new rules will be a severe culture shock for the many small businesses which feature take out food and beverages.  There is little alternative to take out containers other than to actually serve the food in place and use washable dishes.  But that is not feasible for a tiny take out stand.  I hope some genius will invent a truly biodegradable material to use for take out food.  Until then, what??

• Sad 1

I guess you need to make some sacrifices to save the planet,. To bad!  Get your neighbors and take your recyclable to a drop off point.  Freeze all your veggie and meat scraps and put them in the trash they day of pick up.  They do make biodegradable bags, yes more expensive but it does help save the planet for future generations.  See it as an investment.   Think out side the box you have trapped yourself in and stop bitching.  If everyone thought like you changes would never happen,. See it as an opportunity to get creative!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

We do have to be greatly concerned for the planet, but we also have to use common sense. Banning plastic bags is short-sighted, plain and simple. ezpz is absolutely correct about their current uses. Instead of focusing on killing the golden goose, let's focus on how to prevent same from getting into the oceans. This knee-jerk thinking is exactly how the U.S. got into a situation where opioids are such big problem; where Reagen's war on drugs ended up causing as many deaths as all-out real wars.

I have articles that show the manufacturing of one organic cotton bag has the same impact on our environment as using 20,000 plastic bags. Think about it.

I also want to include a mention of the myriad stores that sell plastic bags and containers as their main business. Like candy stores, where everything in sight is packaged in single use plastic. Let's get real. The over-reaction to plastic straws would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. Their impact on the earth's environment is infinitesimally small. We should rather focus on keeping them away from animals that try to eat them.

Solutions first, then bans. Banning bags just sends people to the grocery store to buy Glad bags for their garbage.

https://qz.com/1585027/when-it-comes-to-climate-change-cotton-totes-might-be-worse-than-plastic/

I'll add that Soriana is already providing perishable bags, but they are still plastic, and will still be banned. Stupid.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

This will force business' to use biodegradable bags, the price of them will go down once the demand goes up.  If not, pay a little more to help the environment 

computer guy ,. We have to start somewhere.  Get behind the movement!

i am sure you remember back before plastic and you lived through those times just fine

48 minutes ago, Tiny said:

I read that somewhere they were using banana leaves for take out.

Might be parts of India. They use low fired clay plates with banana leaves on top. Everything is thrown away, the plates are too weak for washing.

They also use stainless steel "tiffins" which different compartments for food. Often delivered to office workers. I think the entrepreneurs will work something out.

• Like 1

even low fire , ceramic take a olot of wood to be fired.or charcoal or coal or gas..have your pick not such a great idea. WHen I was a kid we used newspaper to wrap vegies and meat was wrapped in some wax paper.. Banana leaf sounds like a good idea ..They also used to have returnable plates.. You would get charged for the plate and return it to get the deposit.. a pain but it somehow worked.

Finally! A use for recycled paper.  We used to use paper for almost everything, since there was no plastic wrap, plastic bags, or plastic bottles, etc.  Cans were tin, and would rust away. Virtually all bottles were glass and were used over and over again. Mason jars still have more uses than just for 'canning'.  A compost pile in a corner of your back yard will take care of garbage and used TP, & will provide you with food for your plantings, etc.  Think back to pre-1950s or to the war years, if you want to remember how to 'make do'.

• Like 2

Look into the tiffins. They are delivered by the dabawallahs on their bicycles. Sort of like green ubereats. They are adaptable to all types of cuisine, especially Mexican. A Tiffin for a roast chicken and sides should be no problem and last a lifetime. Many get theirs handpainted.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Look into the tiffins. They are delivered by the dabawallahs on their bicycles. Sort of like green ubereats. They are adaptable to all types of cuisine, especially Mexican. A Tiffin for a roast chicken and sides should be no problem and last a lifetime. Many get theirs handpainted.

You may be talking about a Tiffin carriers/box or dabbas that are a kind of lunch box used widely in Asia for a tiffin meals. Tiffin is a certain type of meal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiffin_carrier

I had biodegradable plastic bag in my kitchen container and it degraded before I could take it out. I needed to use a regular plastic bag for that other bag and the trash. The have alternate containers for the take out already for years, it has just not been used by many. I have dogs and use a plastic bag in a bucket which I can take out and then seal. I guess in the future I will need to put the fecal matter directly in the bucket and they will have to dump it (eww) into the truck? Then I will need to wash it our each time? Gross. I also feel sorry already for the garbage men. The same will be for the kitchen garbage and what is one to use when taking the dog for a walk and there are no more small plastic bags to pick up the poop?

• Haha 1

There are many businesses where I live that are now using cardboard and other biodegradable containers for take-out foods. These containers are available and being manufactured in Mexico. Restaurants could also purchase a bunch of reusable tupperware-type containers to have for sale, making a small profit on them, if they chose.

You can fold newspapers into a bag shape which will hold household garbage. That wouldn't work for wet kitchen waste, and while I realize some people live in situations where they have no yard, those who do should definitely have a compost pile- as RV Gringo says, both kitchen waste and toilet paper can go in that pile. A proper compost bin or pile won't attract pests and there are composters available to buy at Costco if you don't want the waste just out there. And the added bonus is that you end up with nice compost after it breaks down to use in potted plants and in your garden, negating the need to go buy bags of compost or potting soil.

• Like 2

I don't see a problem.  We simply go back to using the old grocery store brown paper bags.  They come in many sizes and a lot of stores in the states are already starting to use them again. They can be made of recycled paper so they are bioenvironmental friendly.  If you have something wet you simply double bag the item.

2 hours ago, rafterbr said:

I don't see a problem.  We simply go back to using the old grocery store brown paper bags.  They come in many sizes and a lot of stores in the states are already starting to use them again. They can be made of recycled paper so they are bioenvironmental friendly.  If you have something wet you simply double bag the item.

Ever gotten something in a paper bag in Mexico? I find the paper bags here are super thin- they pretty much can't be reused. But if they could come up with some higher quality ones, that would be good.

9 hours ago, Tiny said:

I read that somewhere they were using banana leaves for take out.

Esquites (fresh corn kernels cooked in water with salt, epazote, and chile de árbol) served in a fresh corn husk.  This seems to be the latest wrinkle, and a great idea.  image.thumb.png.378fa8924a17504772dfa5a5b2fcd595.png