Chapala.com Webboard

BAN ON PLASTIC BAGS FROM SHOPS AND TAKE OUT FOOD JOINTS

9 hours ago, ezpz said:

Few Mexicans or gringos in less expensive housing have the fancy water systems that allow for flushing toilet paper.

Yes, many older homes are built with sewage systems that will get clogged with toilet paper. But I can flush toilet paper at my house, as I have a private septic system, and I can assure you there is nothing "fancy" about it. Unless you call using proper size pipe "fancy". 

My architect/builder put in large sewer pipes in the house which connects to an even larger sewer pipe in the street. He told me that because the sewer lines were so large (by local standards) that I could flush the toilet paper down the drain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, many older homes are built with sewage systems that will get clogged with toilet paper. But I can flush toilet paper at my house, as I have a private septic system, and I can assure you there is nothing "fancy" about it. Unless you call using proper size pipe "fancy". 

Flushing paper has little to do with the pipe size and more to do with the fact that it is a cistern and not a sewer or septic tank. The paper fibers tend to seal the lower half the tank where the openings are on the sides and bottom and eventually they liquid can't seep into the soil. Folks that flush paper in such a system just have to have them pumped out when they fill.

4 hours ago, geeser said:

Flushing paper has little to do with the pipe size and more to do with the fact that it is a cistern and not a sewer or septic tank. The paper fibers tend to seal the lower half the tank where the openings are on the sides and bottom and eventually they liquid can't seep into the soil. Folks that flush paper in such a system just have to have them pumped out when they fill.

My system goes first into a pre-digester tank, then into the septic tank, which is just a blocked box with an earth floor with small spaces between the blocks. Nothing fancy or particularly expensive about it. Never had to get it pumped out since it was built 11 years ago.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

My system goes first into a pre-digester tank, then into the septic tank, which is just a blocked box with an earth floor with small spaces between the blocks. Nothing fancy or particularly expensive about it. Never had to get it pumped out since it was built 11 years ago.

Right, that is a cistern not a septic tank. Those alternating open bricks are the holes that can get clogged, The bottom is also open on these cisterns.

7 hours ago, geeser said:

Right, that is a cistern not a septic tank. Those alternating open bricks are the holes that can get clogged, The bottom is also open on these cisterns.

They don't get clogged because I have a pre-digester tank before it. Paper and solids break down in there, all that flows into the cistern is liquid.

On 5/11/2019 at 2:21 PM, ezpz said:

The new GR states that local businesses have until July to use up their stashes of disposable plastics because they soon will be banned from use.  While I heartily support environmental measures including reducing use of disposable plastics, I have the following questions:

I do think there will be some entertainment watching us oldies come out of the Tienda juggling a kilo of eggs without the bag.  Most of us use the bags from the stores to put into small dust bins in the baths. The other day my spouse bought the lamond pastries from Panchos. They came in a kraft paper bag and sh laid them on the back seat. Latter I asked about a spot of oil on the upholstery and the seepage through the bag was all she could recall being possible. This is going to be a funny mess.

Thanks for your suggestions on how to be creative (and retro!) in this new plastic-less day.  I`m learning a lot. We`re all going to have to find solutions, our lives will be better when we do and this is a great way to do it.  So, keep 'em coming!

On 5/15/2019 at 9:39 AM, geeser said:

I do think there will be some entertainment watching us oldies come out of the Tienda juggling a kilo of eggs without the bag.  

We get our eggs in the cardboard egg flats. We can get either half or whole flat. 

images.jpeg.bf609e0d30f157585ce179e89c4a04ab.jpeg

They place a flat on top and bottom then tie them together. Then we return the flats to be reused.

3 minutes ago, Tiny said:

We get our eggs in the cardboard egg flats. We can get either half or whole flat. 

images.jpeg.bf609e0d30f157585ce179e89c4a04ab.jpeg

They place a flat on top and bottom then tie them together. Then we return the flats to be reused.

Tiny the Tienda here has them tied up in 1 and 0,5 kilo plastic bag. 

Dog poo can also be thrown into a compost heap if that is an option. There are not a lot of composting worms available locally yet but I kept a worm bin in my kitchen for years. I put all my scraps excluding meat into it and they were turned into vermicompost. For the brave you could try  a worm bin dog poo digester; a layer of shredded paper/cardboard, peat moss, sawdust or shredded straw/corn husk and bury the poo in there; just keep covering the poo with the bedding. [I was going to try this but my dog buries her poo].

It is probably not culturally doable here but vermicomposting stations placed strategically for dog walkers would be brilliant.

Now we`re cooking!   So many possibilities for new products in the new no-plastic-bag world! Love the shipping suit!

timjwilson, composting worms can be had at the Tuesday market from Anna Luz (don`t remember her company name) and Juan Diego at Galo Goat Farm.  I think a well-labeled vermicomposting bucket on the malecon is doable!  Just tell the malecon gardeners what you`re doing.

1 hour ago, bdmowers said:

Now we`re cooking!   So many possibilities for new products in the new no-plastic-bag world! Love the shipping suit!

timjwilson, composting worms can be had at the Tuesday market from Anna Luz (don`t remember her company name) and Juan Diego at Galo Goat Farm.  I think a well-labeled vermicomposting bucket on the malecon is doable!  Just tell the malecon gardeners what you`re doing.

Yes, thanks. I've already bought worms from both. Juan Diego is a good friend. Neither of them have large quantities available. I'm presently trying to boost my population.

20 hours ago, timjwilson said:

Yes, thanks. I've already bought worms from both. Juan Diego is a good friend. Neither of them have large quantities available. I'm presently trying to boost my population.

Good luck on your worm and mulch venture.

Have you contacted the worm people in Guad and environs (they`re on the internet under "lombriz roja californiana")? One is "Lombricultura Guadalajara" in Zapopan.

Also, reportedly and confirmed by the woman in the plaza tienda in Tlachichilco, there is a worm farm a kilometer or so outside of Tlachichilco on 16th de Septiembre (the main road in Tlachichilco).  The road becomes nearly impassable a half a klick out except to 4-wheel drives.   Haven`t made it past the rough spot yet in our van.

GPS: 20.335515, -103.078470

1 hour ago, bdmowers said:

Good luck on your worm and mulch venture.

Have you contacted the worm people in Guad and environs (they`re on the internet under "lombriz roja californiana")? One is "Lombricultura Guadalajara" in Zapopan.

Also, reportedly and confirmed by the woman in the plaza tienda in Tlachichilco, there is a worm farm a kilometer or so outside of Tlachichilco on 16th de Septiembre (the main road in Tlachichilco).  The road becomes nearly impassable a half a klick out except to 4-wheel drives.   Haven`t made it past the rough spot yet in our van.

GPS: 20.335515, -103.078470

Thanks for that!