Chapala.com Webboard

La Ceiba

ComputerGuy

thought I'd restart the thread with the correct spelling, so people using the search function might find it more easily. (Original topic here:

I noted with interest the variety of burgers with different meats, like ostrich and buffalo. I'd tried a buffalo burger at the place on Ocampo across from Diane Pearl's. It was dry and not particularly flavourful, but our waiter at La Ceiba said it was his favourite from their menu. I thought it was pretty good, although I'd like to see the price of a kilo of buffalo. All the exotic burgers are the same price, $105, which is high. I did not like their idea of using sliced pineapple as a topping, but I did like the sweet-potato chips on the side (these are real crisps, not slabs, and they are excellent). The burger was tasty and had enough fat to be juicy... which is interesting, because buffalo meat has less fat than chicken. I'll try a different meat next time.

8 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

thought I'd restart the thread with the correct spelling, so people using the search function might find it more easily. (Original topic here:

I noted with interest the variety of burgers with different meats, like ostrich and buffalo. I'd tried a buffalo burger at the place on Ocampo across from Diane Pearl's. It was dry and not particularly flavourful, but our waiter at La Ceiba said it was his favourite from their menu. I thought it was pretty good, although I'd like to see the price of a kilo of buffalo. All the exotic burgers are the same price, $105, which is high. I did not like their idea of using sliced pineapple as a topping, but I did like the sweet-potato chips on the side (these are real crisps, not slabs, and they are excellent). The burger was tasty and had enough fat to be juicy... which is interesting, because buffalo meat has less fat than chicken. I'll try a different meat next time.

I have served Buffalo (Bison) in my restaurants.  I would buy a buffalo and have the whole thing ground into minced meat for buffalo burgers.  The buffalo is very lean so I would have to buy beef fat to mix with the buffalo to make the burger juicy.  The buffalo meat is tough unless tenderized so I never bothered with the different cuts of the buffalo.  One time I tried the steaks and if marinated not to bad but I preferred the beef.

I'm going to guess they added some beef fat, rafterbr, as you did. And that also makes it taste more like a hamburger. Which makes it not worth it from a foodie point of view. I will try ostrich or something.

There must be some connection to The Forest Grill, right next door, as the blackboard menu of TFG, in the front,  has the same exotic meats listed on their menu as La Ceiba. Also strange is that the signage (TFG) says open on Mondays but was locked up today. That´s on the eastside.  On the westside, the old Pepe and Aurora´s, there is signage that says Los Bandidos Mariscos, but it also was all locked up.  Someone posted that Peter´s Mariscos next to La Huerta event center was moving there but they are still open, as of today anyway, at the old location.

It´s like a Rubics Cube, and the meseros don´t know anything.    LOL

Maybe they are all partners in a buffalo, deer, and ostrich farm.

Ate there again Saturday. This time, tried the steaks. The T-Bone was a typical, thin Mexican cut, but cooked perfectly and very tasty, and covered the whole plate... but to get four orders to hit the table at the same time, unfortunately, all dishes were no longer hot. Chambray potatos were very good, and once again the sweet potato chips are deelish. The arrechera was very tasty and a decent cut. Coconut shrimp perfect with a nice mango sauce. Salmon not on the menu except in a burger, but they were happy to convert that into a salmon steak which was cooked expertly and served with sides. They also serve a nice, light salad dressing that is homemade, if you ask.

I ordered an ostrich burger to go, and it was gigantic and much tastier than the buffalo burger. Oh, almost forgot: two avocado and shrimp salads; we mentioned we would be splitting them, so they brought them out on four plates already split and made into individual dishes, no extra charge. And they were perhaps the highlight of the meal: delicious.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:07 AM, ComputerGuy said:

All the exotic burgers are the same price, $105, which is high. I did not like their idea of using sliced pineapple as a topping,

Today it was sliced mango on the hamburguesa de res, 1 cm. of meat, 2" of something that resembled manchego cheese, and 3" of bun ..………………Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Made me wish for a Big Mac and I don´t even like them.

Interesting how our reactions differ. I really enjoy their burgers, just not the price. If a beef burger is the same price as an ostrich burger, then that's a bit out of line. I'm trying the "exotic" meats one at a time to gauge how good the cook is. The bun doesn't fall apart right away, which is a bonus.  It's doubtful I would go there just for the burger, though. (Have to say, I like the extra pile of cheese myself...)

Went there today. Yes, they have a ceiba tree, small but unclimbable. Nice patio area and a quite cool interior. Tried the wild pig (javelina) burger ordered cooked well, a fruit salad, and sweet potato chips. The burger came with white cheese and pineapple slice grilled on a toasted quality bun. I wasn't about to add anything but salt to taste the meat. The best thing I can say is that I ate it all, something I haven't been able to do with most Lakeside burgers.

I will go back sometime when I am on the other side of the universe and try an ostrich burger.

Oh, they actually have diet sodas beyond coke, a Squirt Light on the rocks is where it is at.

• Like 1

Ate lunch there the other day and we were incredibly disappointed. Apparently they were out of the good "juicy" burgers because ours we're the all-too-familiar dry, tasteless, mystery meat burgers we've grown to expect in most places. Also the typical plastic cheese on top. The salads were a pile of overchopped  lettuce with brown around all the edges. Why waste time on a restaurant like that?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, moonhill said:

Ate lunch there the other day and we were incredibly disappointed. Apparently they were out of the good "juicy" burgers because ours we're the all-too-familiar dry, tasteless, mystery meat burgers we've grown to expect in most places. Also the typical plastic cheese on top. The salads were a pile of overchopped  lettuce with brown around all the edges. Why waste time on a restaurant like that?

Almost the exact same experience with the "beef" ? burger-----won´t be going back.

Another post distorted and gone!  One would expect, we would hope, that when someone seeks information from this type of forum, what they glean would be meaningful.  Terrible waste of time in sorting through gibberish, yet one always hopes to find a response that deals directly with the initiating post.  Doesn't happen often!  It's amazing though, as one can find a wealth of humour if they just picture in their minds, that so much of what they read in posts that are highjacked always comes from a small band of lonely institutionalized inmates.

image.png.43ab5a82ef32c3d76e91c4a6078a341b.png

13 hours ago, Carnivore said:

Another post distorted and gone!  One would expect, we would hope, that when someone seeks information from this type of forum, what they glean would be meaningful.  Terrible waste of time in sorting through gibberish, yet one always hopes to find a response that deals directly with the initiating post.  Doesn't happen often!  It's amazing though, as one can find a wealth of humour if they just picture in their minds, that so much of what they read in posts that are highjacked always comes from a small band of lonely institutionalized inmates.

image.png.43ab5a82ef32c3d76e91c4a6078a341b.png

12 hours ago, Tiny said:

There should be a 5 post guideline. After 5 posts expect the topic to be highjacked. LOL

In my case, it proves that those Irish nuns weren´t always successful with incorrigible miscreants. 

• Haha 3

Angus' experience reflects mine exactly. I'll try another variety of meat, just as an experiment like the others, but so far it is not something I would drive there for. I got lots and lots of tasty cheese, removed the pineapple both times.

The presence of pineapple was our concern, too. If it were decent-sized and tasty it could possibly compliment certain burgers, but as it is... a small, shriveled, pineapple disk just doesn't cut it.

We politely wrote this down in their notepad when the waiter asked us for suggestions.