Chapala.com Webboard

What's Your Fave Kitchen Gadget, With a Cost Under 200 Pesos

Bisbee Gal

18 hours ago, More Liana said:

I have an almost identical bagel cutter, given to me about 10 years ago by a friend.  What I don't have are bagels.  A friend who had never made any before made some and brought me two of them.  Not bagels, weird texture, too big, too not-a-bagel.  One of these days I might have to try it myself.  

I wish your bagel guy over there delivered to Morelia.

They ain't that great. I don't think he fires them after he boils them. 'Cause they're awfully "gluey".

16 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

They ain't that great. I don't think he fires them after he boils them. 'Cause they're awfully "gluey".

That's too bad!  They have to be boiled, then baked--I can't imagine that he doesn't do that.  

These are the bagels that the man who used to live in Mexico City made, for about a year.  These were the real-deal, no kidding, out-of-this-world NYC bagels that I love.  First the 2017 earthquake knocked his bakery down, then he became seriously ill, and when he recovered, he and his wife moved to Oaxaca.  I miss them--we're good friends--and I miss his bagels.

Bagels 1.jpg

CG...maybe you got a bad batch???  We buy from Williams Burg regularly and while not totally consistent, 90% of the bagels we have gotten have been excellent (we buy the cinn-raisin and the everything).  I grew up in an immigrant neighborhood in the Northeast and do not expect to find those bagels from the 50s and 60s again. However, Williams Burg's bagels are better than most bagels in the US as most are sold by chains (Einsteins, Panera) or in grocery stores.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

CG...maybe you got a bad batch???  We buy from Williams Burg regularly and while not totally consistent, 90% of the bagels we have gotten have been excellent (we buy the cinn-raisin and the everything).  I grew up in an immigrant neighborhood in the Northeast and do not expect to find those bagels from the 50s and 60s again. However, Williams Burg's bagels are better than most bagels in the US as most are sold by chains (Einsteins, Panera) or in grocery stores.  

I don't think so. But yes, I could try again just to make sure. I'm not sure, though, how he cooks his, but I doubt my six (varied) flavours would all have missed going into in an oven. I do like the flavour of the "every seed known to mankind", but that's on the outside, not the inside. I actually find CostCo's gigantic NYstyle to have a better dough consistency.

I am a Montreal bagel convert, having been dragged to a place there one morning at 2:30 am. Before that, I had only had the Lender's-type (grocery store: dry, hard to chew, tasteless) and could never figure out what the deal was. We don't really have "chains" where I come from, just a few Montreal-style brick oven bakeries.

I love the delivery aspect, and I do like most of his dessert pies and a few of his savoury pies, too.

Remember the bagel shop on the West side of town? They were excellent bagels, properly cooked. When they left and the biz name moved to Bugambilias, everything went downhill as the place started using CostCo bagels. Yeesh.

This is mine: Accusharp knife sharpener, 2 for $18 USD.  My mother (QEPD) gave me one at least 25 years ago and I've used it regularly since then.  Works like a charm, I'd be lost without it.  Order the 2-pack and have it sent to a friend NOB; they're very small, flat, don't break, and your friend can bring one to you and keep one as your thank-you gift for being your mule.  Out of this world, look at the reviews!  Pure 5 stars on every seller site on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Accusharp-066C-Knife-Sharpener-Piece/dp/B072HVMYZC/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1ZMTY365K60OH&keywords=accusharp+knife+and+tool+sharpener&qid=1557639883&s=gateway&sprefix=accusharp%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-11

• Thanks 1