Chapala.com Webboard

What's Your Fave Kitchen Gadget, With a Cost Under 200 Pesos

Bisbee Gal

For years we burned our fingers getting toast, bagels, English muffins out of the toaster.  That's no way to start the day!  Found these a few years back and no more burned fingers....and no metal to shock us into the day.   

What's your favorite low cost kitchen gadget??

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Kuhn-Rikon-27713-Silicone-Chefs/dp/B004QGXNMQ/ref=sr_1_29?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=silicone+tongs&qid=1557332857&s=gateway&sr=8-29

kitchentongs.jpg

• Thanks 1

The Vegetable Peeler Scraper.  Used a knife most of my life and didn't really like the rigid peeler.  Once they made the blade flexible I really liked it and seldom use a knife anymore for potatos or carrots. 

9 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Those rubbery shelf liners are also great for stabilizing a mixing bowl or cutting board; no more sliding around on the counter.  I also use leftover liner under flower vases and as coasters.  

A just-damp paper towel will also do the trick for mixing bowl or cutting board.  

To keep little bowls from slipping around on an under-plate, I use small rounds of banana leaves.  
image.png.1460e53e5505dfddb8fc391ec50b7182.png

We buy a lot of fresh fish at the pescaderias, whole fish that I have them fillet.  But there are always a few bones left, especially pin bones in salmon.  I used to pull them out with my fingers prior to cooking, but my dexterity (and patience) isn't what it used to be.  A few months ago  I bought these Japanese Fish Tweezers.  Amazingly strong, grabs and holds even the smallest bones.  

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Kotobuki-Japanese-Fish-Bone-Tweezers/dp/B00462R8RQ/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=japanese+fish+tweezer&qid=1557400713&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

fish tweezer.jpg

I had to order a strawberry huller from Amazon; nothing like it exists around here. Overly-priced for a piece of bent metal, but at least I have one now. Now, if I could only find it in my kitchen drawer...

@Tiny, have not seen your bagel cutter before.  Is that a blade in the middle, that you turn the bagel around?  Or is it a "stabber" that holds the bagel while you use a knife to slice it?

We have a bagel guillotine.  It's 10 bucks in the US, but about 300 pesos here. 

bagel cutter.jpg

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

@Tiny, have not seen your bagel cutter before.  Is that a blade in the middle, that you turn the bagel around?  Or is it a "stabber" that holds the bagel while you use a knife to slice it?

bagel cutter.jpg

Yes, it is a sharp blade in the middle. You insert the blade in the side of the bagel with the two plastic pieces holding the bagel. Then with a small sawing motion, turn the bagel. It is gentle way to cut.  It also works on English muffins.

• Thanks 1

I had a neighbor once whose favorite kitchen item was the telephone, for making restaurant reservations.

Mine?  A teflon coated heavy Comal that covers two burners: large enough for 3 or four tortillas or many slices of FrenchToast. Got it from Costco.

9 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

bagel cutter.jpg

I have an almost identical bagel cutter, given to me about 10 years ago by a friend.  What I don't have are bagels.  A friend who had never made any before made some and brought me two of them.  Not bagels, weird texture, too big, too not-a-bagel.  One of these days I might have to try it myself.  

I wish your bagel guy over there delivered to Morelia.