Chapala.com Webboard

Which mail service (Handy mail, I-shop, etc.) is currently the best and most reliable?

Gracias

I have been using Handy Mail since we've been here (1 year) without issues.  I can't comment on the others.  However, if you want to use FedEx, Handy doesn't and I-Shop does--altho it'll cost you about 50 bucks USD.

• Thanks 1

I have used Handy Mail for over 13 years with no problems.  FedEx and DHL have local offices which is useful when sending things out.

• Thanks 1

I agree that Handy Mail has the best reputation. But Handy Mail and I Shop are located in San Antonio. We have a company in Ajijic that is also very reliable. It is called Sol y Luna, which doesn't cost as much and perhaps doesn't offer as much, but it meets my needs and is located on the street that holds the Wednesday market, and is located in the same building as the old  Salvador's Restaurant.

• Thanks 1

I've used iShop (formerly MailBoxesEtc) for 9 years...more expensive but crucial if you need to import expensive meds from NOB that you can't buy cheaper here but your insurance up there will cover for a copay.  My late partner needed this service for $2200US worth of meds monthly, they handled the import paperwork at Nuevo Laredo and got them to us for $10 a script.  If it was a cheaper med and a 3 months' supply was sent, then it was still just $10 per unique script.  Annual cost is now up to $408US but you can share it 4 ways as I do so it's $102 a year.  Probably not worth it over the other two unless you split it 4 ways or need the med import deal as they are the only ones that I know of who can do this for you and get you your meds within 2 weeks of them leaving up North.  I'm down to getting only my AARP magazine, a few Christmas cards, the occasional new credit card, and my SS updates and Medicare claim summaries through snail mail.  Everything else including all tax forms is now available online and you can go totally paperless.  Since I use their TX address for SS and Medicare, I don't get the annual "are you still alive?" letter through the Mexican mail service which might not arrive in time to return it so that my SS isn't cut off.  And my SS is deposited into a US account.  If you just need a box for a few magazines and cards from the grandkids, the other two services are certainly adequate.  No one has posted their rates yet but I know they're less.

I use iShop because of the above mentioned ability to process meds. Also, they are the default for FedEx, UPS, etc to drop off packages if they can't find your home address.