Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Drivers License

27 minutes ago, Hood said:

😀 Just received my Mexican License. Used Luzmar Grande. It is a complicated process, however she made it so easy. Highly recommend!! 

Easiet way to reach her is by email. ajijicconcierge@gmail.com

I just got a license as well through another source and want to see if it appears different from yours as there is some concern with authenticity.  What color is the background?  Does it have a greenish tint or is it white?

It didn't used to be difficult. All I had to do some 18 years ago, was show my non-expired US or Canadian drivers license, answer a few questions and take a simple vision test.

And to renew a Jalisco drivers license every four years is also quite simple. We used to be able to do this lakeside, but apparently one has to go to Guadalajara these days, at least that is what I had to do 2 years ago.

yes that is my experience too..I did not speak spanish on my first one and I did not have any problems.. Did not pay Alberto back then either..On the second one, I spoke Spanish so even easier.. Not sure what is complicated about it. I also got one in Chiapas.. They gave me the test for the illiterate and I almost flunked that one.. but they passed me and I got a permanent one so no renewal.. even easier.

I didn't know there were permanent licenses available. Are they available in Jalisco? I have a "Chofer"s license rather than a standard drivers license. Someone told me that I needed one if I drove a truck or SUV. I  now know that I didn't need to get a Chofer's license. But that is what I have to renew every 4 years.

22 minutes ago, johanson said:

I didn't know there were permanent licenses available. Are they available in Jalisco? I have a "Chofer"s license rather than a standard drivers license. Someone told me that I needed one if I drove a truck or SUV. I  now know that I didn't need to get a Chofer's license. But that is what I have to renew every 4 years.

Yes if you drive a truck you need a Chofer license. Friends just got their licenses and needed to get Chofer as they have a pickup truck.

yes I had to get a chofer license because of the pick up truck.. , In CHiapas they do not seem to have  that put they do offer a permanent driver´s license so I got one. no renewal necessary. I do not think they have that in Jalisco.

"Chofer" does mean "driver" but a Jalisco driver license for a car says "automovilista." For a pickup under 3000 kg or an auto up to 15 passengers, one applies for a "chofer" designation; the categories of driver licenses are:

Modalidad: Chofer, automovilista, motociclista, permiso de menor, conductor de servicio de transporte público

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, johanson said:

It didn't used to be difficult. All I had to do some 18 years ago, was show my non-expired US or Canadian drivers license, answer a few questions and take a simple vision test.

And to renew a Jalisco drivers license every four years is also quite simple. We used to be able to do this lakeside, but apparently one has to go to Guadalajara these days, at least that is what I had to do 2 years ago.

Pete, I got my first Mexican license 40 years ago and the toughest part of the test was how attach the singletree to the harness and then to the "coche", and I wasn´t hauling turistas around in a calandria either.    LOL

Youngtimer -

Can one obtain a Jalisco drivers license with a temporal residency? yes

And how about a Mexican plated vehicle with a temporal, thanks? you mean buy and register with a temporal status - yes

Ok I will ask Spenser when he calls. A search turned up no answer.

Per Sonia's website:

Jalisco State Driver’s License 

Jalisco offers driver’s licenses to those who are a Temporary or Permanent Resident.

The initial Jalisco driver’s license takes up to 6 hours.

You are required to know your blood type. A medical is not required.

For your first Jalisco driver’s license there is a brief driving test and also a short multiple-choice test. The latter may be complete in either English or Spanish. These tests are not required for a Jalisco driver’s license renewal.

License is for 4 years and the cost is $633 for a car; $714 pesos for larger SUV’s and vans and $348 for a moto. Fees are half with an INAPAM card.

As for Mexican plates:

Can you register your vehicle in your state in Mexico as a tourist if you are not a Temporary or Permanent Resident? In the some states such as Jalisco one needs a CURP number to register a vehicle and that is ony available once one becomes a TR or PR resident. In all states you are to have a Mexican state driver's license when you own a Mexican state registered vehicle.

15 hours ago, Youngtimer said:

Can one obtain a Jalisco drivers license with a temporal residency?

And how about a Mexican plated vehicle with a temporal, thanks?

Yes
you mean buy a mx plated vehicle and register with a temporal status - yes

46 minutes ago, Youngtimer said:

In all states you are to have a Mexican state driver's license when you own a Mexican state registered vehicle.

Not so I was told by the officer that worked with me that stated any US license was OK with any car in Mexico.

• Like 2