Chapala.com Webboard

Dr. Jorge @ San Antonio Hospital

The Hospital has at least two orthopedic surgeons, Dr. Gonzalez and his son. I have had good luck with the father. The son has a great education to include training in Germany. The father speaks highly of his son, But I only have used the father, with, as I said above,, I had great luck.

I have had the privilege of being cared for by both Drs. Gonzales.  Such talent and caring in one family. Dr. Gonzales replaced my husband's hip with amazing results. No pain and no physical therapy.  He provided us a choice of hospitals or clinics for financial concerns.  I have had numerous injections for pain, in my back.  I recently   had a major nerve burned.  In the operating were 5 other ortho guys who wanted to watch Dr. Ross  use this new piece of equipment.  My neighbors have had hips and knees replaced and accolades for both are over the top.  Plus, you could not find nicer, more competent doctors.

• Like 1

I for one would love to know more about 'hip replacement with no pain nor physical therapy afterwards'.....

Also, not asking for specific personal information but approximately what were the fees for the hip replacement? Was this done at Lakeside or a hospital in Guadalajara?   Por favor. 

• Like 1

This thread is a perfect example of the value and help of personal experiences.

Of course, no one is perfect and humans make errors. If I were doing due diligence on a doctor, and I found 9 positive reports and 1 negative,  I would not be deterred from the doctor. If I found several negatives, I would reconsider my choice. I wish I had done that when with Dr. Don, Lakeside dentist.

I would also like to know the costs involved. That is a reality many of us need to consider since even a great price  can be out of reach for some.

I would really like to see a category for medical/dental procedures and associated prices. Lakeside.

• Like 1

Good grief!  Del Carmen only charged $3000.00 pesos?  Or perhaps it was $3000 for the room/equipment/medication, and $3000. each for the 2 assistants they supplied.  At any rate that would have been at most $9000.00 pesos for the hospital and hospital personnel .... 

• Sad 1

We have used Dr. Jorge Gonzalez for several procedures and are pleased with his attentiveness and follow-up. He has always given us the choice of which facility to use in GDL and has been fairly accurate when asked about costs.  His says his plan is to be available here 4 days per week, with 2 of those days being surgery days.  It will be so nice not to do that 1+ hr drive to/from GDL for surgical procedures.

• Like 1

I had an emergency hip replacement from Dr. Gonzales (Jorge) in 2008 after I fell and landed on my hip.  Funny thing, I had already seen him and we had determined that I needed a hip replacement (partially genetic problem, partially from having had a dance career).  So he was already familiar with me at the time.  He and his very handsome assistant surgeon did a great job on me.  Yes, I recovered without pain or extra physical therapy and was so much better than limping around like i was after doing so much hard work of moving.  But I was unable to sleep on either side for an entire year.  Fortunately, I had tempur-pedic foam pads on my bed making it possible to sleep on my back in comfort.  You just have to slow down and have help for 3 months, then it all gradually comes back, after a year you don't even know you had it.

In your timeframe all hip replacements were done posterior. These days hardly anyone NOB is doing that but rather anterior.... which is actually more to the side as opposed from the front.  Recovery time is much less as there is minimal damage done to soft tissue etc.

Does anyone know if these good doctors have switched to the Anterior method? 

Sorry, happyjillin that my comment was taken in a negative way.  I was thinking that whether it was $3000 or $9000 (which I could not determine which it was but since you said "each" figured it was more likely $9000 .... that it was really inexpensive and a great thing.  I am not sure but I don't think Eric Blair's comment was meant to be negative either ... just commenting on how inexpensive the treatment was ... which I took again as a good thing.   It will be interesting to find out what the new hospital here charges for something similar.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Very good!  So the hospital doesn't charge for the room/equipment ... Just the 2 assistants.  That's even better.

You just don't get it and that's why i took my post down and will not deal with people like you as i said. You can't even do grade one math.

• Sad 1

IMO, unless someone has truly deep-pockets, it is no sin to ask and/or compare prices in areas where, depending on the procedure(s) can have price tags going into 6 figures.

The above is doubly true if there is little or no insurance coverage available.

I'm going tomorrow to try to get as many specifics about their services/prices and especially the signage that broadly indicates so many procedures are/may be covered by insurance such as VA and Medicare Advantage.

Remember, not only is the Devil in the details, but don't order the meal and eat it and then ask the price (I made that up).

I suppose there might be a way to send that photograph to United Health Care, for example, and ask them to confirm that they would pay that little hospital in Jalisco, Mexico.

• Haha 1