Chapala.com Webboard

Activating a Shaw receiver

Has any successfully activated a Shaw receiver lately? I have been trying With a VPN and with Skype but no luck so far.

Do you think the Shaw people read this Board?

6 minutes ago, cedros said:

Has any successfully activated a Shaw receiver lately? I have been trying With a VPN and with Skype but no luck so far.

Have you actually made contact with them.  I use a VPN & chat - they knew I was outside Canada.  How ??????   A bit embarrassing - said I was on vacation. They said they could not make changes until I was back in N.S.   Another time my change went right through no problem.  I guess it depends on the operator you get.

1 hour ago, windstar said:

Have you actually made contact with them.  I use a VPN & chat - they knew I was outside Canada.  How ??????   A bit embarrassing - said I was on vacation. They said they could not make changes until I was back in N.S.   Another time my change went right through no problem.  I guess it depends on the operator you get.

The same happened to me with a VPN. It worked once  but the other day they said they knew I was not in Canada.  Also embarrassing. Today using Skype we got a message to leave a message only. What to do? I'm not a stacker.

I doubt if they read this board. If you chat online with them, you need to use a VPN, or they know immediately where you are. 9 times out of 10, they don't care. Phoning using Skype or some other location-obscuring method is best. I also was able to chat with them via their FaceBook page. Again, use a VPN.

No, you do not need a VPN to set up a receiver. (How could you, anyway?) They are not based on your IP address.

I got my friend's receiver activated on to my account today using live chat together with a VPN. It took a number of tries over a number of days.

Someone at Shaw has to activate the receiver. You live chat with them (where you need a VPN or Skype).

They ask you to tell them what is on various screens on your TV before they will activate it. This is done by live chat. You must be hiding your location with a VPN or Skype. I have activated 5 receivers. If they see you are outside Canada they usually won't activate it. So a VPN has everything to do with activation.

• Like 1

"Let's make it clear that the VPN was required for the live chat, and has nothing to do with the receiver's capability of activation."

As you pointed out, Skype works just fine, and there is no VPN required to talk on Skype. I'm stating this to ensure that no one is confused by your statement: a Shaw receiver does not use or require a VPN service to function.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 3:51 PM, cedros said:

I hope the Shaw people don't read this board, because it is illegal to use Shaw down here, although most experts do.   I thought the only person that could activate a receiver was the owner of the Shaw contract. That has been my experience with the last two people I used to get the Shaw service.

It is most certainly not illegal to get a Shaw satellite signal in Mexico. Against the rules, sure. Trust me when I tell you: as long as you don't come right out and tell Shaw where you are, as long as you own the account, Shaw will say nothing. And why should they? They easily make $1,200 and more per year from every subscriber.'

Even if you are caught "stacking", you'll simply lose your account, nothing else. There is no prosecution. Because there is no law. For most countries, the transmission and reception of signals is a very grey area.

7 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

"Let's make it clear that the VPN was required for the live chat, and has nothing to do with the receiver's capability of activation."

As you pointed out, Skype works just fine, and there is no VPN required to talk on Skype. I'm stating this to ensure that no one is confused by your statement: a Shaw receiver does not use or require a VPN service to function.

Of course a Shaw receiver does not require a VPN to function but if you don't have SKYPE you usually need a VPN to Activate the receiver. Don't confuse things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arroyos said:

I hope the Shaw people don't read this board, because it is illegal to use Shaw down here, although most experts do.   I thought the only person that could activate a receiver was the owner of the Shaw contract. That has been my experience with the last two people I used to get the Shaw service.

Yes to activate a receiver the owner of the account has to communicate with Shaw.

34 minutes ago, cedros said:

Of course a Shaw receiver does not require a VPN to function but if you don't have SKYPE you usually need a VPN to Activate the receiver. Don't confuse things.

All I did was clarify your continuing and confusing posts. But hey: happy to be the recipient, yet again, of your backlash.

• Sad 1

I don't think the confusion is on this end.

Speaking of Shaw  direct does anyone in this area get their Discover Velocity channel #628?

• Like 1