Chapala.com Webboard

Kerry Gold/Grass feed butter

Wendy

29 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I keep a stack of Kirkland butter in the freezer; it's unsalted; it's for cooking. I used salted butter on my popcorn. Alton Brown did an old show on popcorn last week and said to always use unsalted butter. Hmmm. Okay, so I used the Kirkland last night. Unfortunately, it had a "fridge" taste, which I never get from the salted Lurpak or Presidente.

I keep any extra butter in the freezer, then thaw it when needed, in the fridge. I have never noticed any odd taste when cooking with the Kirkland, and never an odd taste on popcorn with the other salted brands.

The Mazamitla butters is available in several places around and in the Chapala Mercado so it's always fresh and needs no freezing,just fridge will do. We use it for everything. I salt my popcorn to taste and like to put lots of butter on it.Great on Melba Toast too as a snack.

Definitely worth a try.

The thing is with Kirkland it comes in fairly large packs and is cost-effective, but it needs to be frozen because I couldn't possibly use it all at once. But I do use a lot of it over the course of a month or so for cooking. It's already frozen when purchased, too. So now I really don't know if that's the reason for the taste, and there's really no way to find out. On the other hand, I've always used salted butter for my popcorn (because, salt) and added salt or salted movie flavouring as well.

3 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Definitely worth a try.

The thing is with Kirkland it comes in fairly large packs and is cost-effective, but it needs to be frozen because I couldn't possibly use it all at once. But I do use a lot of it over the course of a month or so for cooking. It's already frozen when purchased, too. So now I really don't know if that's the reason for the taste, and there's really no way to find out. On the other hand, I've always used salted butter for my popcorn (because, salt) and added salt or salted movie flavouring as well.

The vendors will sell you any size that you want and I would suspect that it's less than Kirkland and know it's less than Lurpac.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Understood. Happyjillin', would you be so kind as to enquire, from Butter Guy, what is his route and approximate time of being in any one given location? I too avoid the plaza in Chapala because of the parking situation.

Sorry,I have never bought from the truck guy. Mi Ranchito Cremeria has a lot with free parking for customers. My wife walks to the market everyday from Lourdes and when I was still somewhat mobile I would park around the sail on Hidalgo and walk from there to the Mercado.

• Thanks 1