Chapala.com Webboard

Kerry Gold/Grass feed butter

Wendy

Hello - I am new to the area.  Can someone tell me if Kerry Gold butter or any grass feed butter is available in the area?  If not, can it be found in Guadalajara?  I saw the 2018 thread about this topic, just wondering where it stands today.  Appreciate any information~  Wendy

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, miomama said:

Was just at Costco (López mateo) yesterday and they have it now.  2 lb package for around 280 pesos, I don't recall.  It was with the fancy cheeses near the fresh meats department.  Unsalted. 

Kerry Gold???  or do mean grass fed butter of some other brand.  There is a BIG difference.

35 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Oh goody! A butter thread.

I miss the New Zealand Anchor butter but am happy with the Danish (?) butter Lurpak. Is Kerry Gold better tasting than either of those?

If you like those,you like european style unsalted cultured butter which is like the butter made in Mazamitla and available from that truck, the Cremeria and Joaquin. That's all we buy now because I consider it superior to the commercial brands like Lurpac and you can get any size that you want.

3 hours ago, happyjillin said:

If you like those,you like european style unsalted cultured butter which is like the butter made in Mazamitla and available from that truck, the Cremeria and Joaquin. That's all we buy now because I consider it superior to the commercial brands like Lurpac and you can get any size that you want.

I will generally take any butter that isn't rancid. There is an ingredient or a method in many Mexican-branded butters, I forget which, that gives it a uniquely awful smell.

• Like 1

Unsalted butter...Bah humbug !   I suppose you like unsalted Parmesan , maybe a little unsalted prosciutto ,perhaps a little shake of unsalted soy ? Almost all foods need some level of seasoning to bring out their best flavors. That’s why we even include a pinch of salt when making sweet deserts .

Sorry rupert ....thought it was a post on butter...? .opinions on taste not allowed if they differ from yours .. ? .. you are somewhat right however , people like what they like ..that’s why spam sells 120 million cans a year....prefer yours without salt...?...Taste is not always subjective it’s often due to exposure or the lack thereof .

18 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Unsalted butter...Bah humbug !   I suppose you like unsalted Parmesan , maybe a little unsalted prosciutto ,perhaps a little shake of unsalted soy ? Almost all foods need some level of seasoning to bring out their best flavors. That’s why we even include a pinch of salt when making sweet deserts .

Wow what wild and irrelevant comparisons coming from an alleged professional chef. Most chefs I know use unsalted. I was raised in a European household and have had the pleasure of tasting unadulterated butter all my life. Cultured butter has a butter flavour and if it's salted it has a salt flavour. Having said that, when using this butter for cooking one adds spices including salt in the process. I am light frying then braising[water added] in pure butter.

rouladen 2.jpg

13 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Sorry rupert ....thought it was a post on butter...? .opinions on taste not allowed if they differ from yours .. ? .. you are somewhat right however , people like what they like ..that’s why spam sells 120 million cans a year....prefer yours without salt...?...Taste is not always subjective it’s often due to exposure or the lack thereof .

Ian, it is not your opinion on taste that is objectionable.  It is possible to express your preferences for salted butter without being unpleasant and insulting the people who don’t share your opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I keep a stack of Kirkland butter in the freezer; it's unsalted; it's for cooking. I used salted butter on my popcorn. Alton Brown did an old show on popcorn last week and said to always use unsalted butter. Hmmm. Okay, so I used the Kirkland last night. Unfortunately, it had a "fridge" taste, which I never get from the salted Lurpak or Presidente.

I keep any extra butter in the freezer, then thaw it when needed, in the fridge. I have never noticed any odd taste when cooking with the Kirkland, and never an odd taste on popcorn with the other salted brands.