Chapala.com Webboard

The new restaurant west of town is La Ceiba

sm1mex

A group of 8 of us had lunch there and it was delicious and extremely good prices.  I had a plate full of garlic shrimp, potatoes, salad and bread.

Everyone enjoyed their meal.  We will be back.

They open for breakfast at 10 a.m., open every day.  I have another friend who had the bacon wrapped shrimp and raved about it.

Ricardo is the owner and speaks great English.  He also has a restaurant in a hotel in SJC.

Please try LaCeiba.  You won't be sorry.  It took a little while for us to served, but the wait was worth it.

It is west of Ajijic  on the mountain side past  the LaHuerta eventos place

• Like 1

Last week I stopped by La Ceiba  to get two  salads to go.  They have a choice of 3 salads:   a pear and Roquefort  cheese. I opted for the chicken Cesar - which was very good.                    The dressing was good, chunks of grilled  chicken, fresh parmesan,  fresh lettuce and home made croutons.   I also tried the Campestre salad -  Fresh lettuce,  a large portion of sliced zucchini, sprouts, sliced onion, a few tomatoes,  and several thinly slices of  ham  stuffed  with cheese inside . I would have these two choices again.

Yesterday  I  ate there with some friends.  I had  the shrimp with garlic sauce... it was enough garlic without over-powering the flavor of the shrimp. There were 12 large  shrimp  with this dish [ and no tails  on the shrimp, which I find 'unnecessary'  ]  .  They were cooked correctly -  pink, tender and not 'tough' like I have had  at some other restaurants.  The dish was listed to be accompanied by rice and a salad.     However the staff   were very accommodating, and allowed the  diners  to  substitute  the rice  for roasted potatoes or freshly made [ when ordered ] sweet potato chips.  Those who order the s/p  chips  were very pleased.  There   were a few choices as to how you wanted the shrimp.

I'll be back.. when you can please  all the  diners [ 8 ] at the same table, that speaks well of  the restaurant.  Good staff service and  accommodating,   food was very good, , wide enough menu choices,  and   prices very reasonable.  The only   down side is limited parking in front of the restaurant  if there are many people.  I parked across the road , in the shade  of the trees on the Carretera. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We tried it today.  The appetizers are large enough for 2 to 4 people depending on what else you order.  The nachos were $45 pesos .. chips, beans, good cheese, chorizo, guacamole (I requested no sauces).  The tempura veggies are not really what I am used to.  The tempura coating is much different and there is no dipping sauce but instead a creamy dip.  That being said it was tasty.  We forgot to take pictures before starting to eat so some are gone. 😊

IMG_20190506_152156789.jpg

IMG_20190506_152201608.jpg

Yes, we ordered the "tempura". They really should call it something else. Big slices of veg in a very heavy batter of some kind. Big portion. I'll eat anything deep-fried, but these tested my limits.

The ceiba is the sacred tree of the Maya and the national tree of Guatemala.  "La Ceiba" is a city in Honduras.  These trees do exist at Lakeside; I've seen them.  In Jalisco, I think they're called pochote.  You know it as kapok. 

The trunk has what look like protruding wide-based 'thorns'; turns out that they are not the least bit sharp or hard.  Artisans are carving attractive tiny houses into the thorns.  I think I've seen them for sale at the Wednesday tianguis in Ajijic.

The trees produce large pods that hang from the branches.  Eventually the pods ripen and burst open, leaving what appears to be cotton attached.  In the past, that 'cotton' was used to stuff life jackets.  The fibers are still used in the textile industry.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

Computer Guy, maybe they are trying to change the tempura because the batter on ours was very thin, however, as you can see not regular tempura batter.  They were greasy as well but tasty ... as you were able to taste the vegetables inside.

Your photos perfectly represent what I got, which to me was pretty heavy batter, but of course tempura is super light and fluffy. I don't know what this is. Tasty, yes, because "deep fried". But I could never order it again. I took home three slabs and re-fried them in a pan, and they came out crisper and drained of oil, so they were much better. But still. I think "deep fried veg" would be a much more accurate description on the menu.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Willie said:

I've heard them referred to as "kapok" trees...I'm sure Anglicized.....

Did you read what I wrote up there?  "You know it as kapok."  Why do I bother?    

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, Willie said:

Yes, I read what you said and was just confirming that I too had heard to called that.  No need to get so snarky about it!

Hope your day gets better.

Sorry, you're right.

• Like 2

Folks of my generation are familiar with kapok, as that was what most of our life preservers were made with. Older ones were made with cork blocks, sewn into the vests, but they were bulkier and harder to store on boats. 

How many of you remember back to those early boating days?

• Like 1

Looking forward to having lunch there today.  I'll take photos and share.  :)

Valerie

We thoroughly enjoyed our meal yesterday.  The appetizers are indeed large and quite tasty.  Also enjoyed the T-Bone and Ribeye.  :)  I have photos but don't know how to get them posted here.

We'll definitely go back.

Valerie  :)

It's very easy to post a photo on here. At the bottom of this reply box is a large paper clip. Click on choose files, find the file you want to show and it's embedded into the reply box. Then add another etc. and then submit reply.